[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:32 pm

:cringe:
Holy crap!
Photos! PHOTOS!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Asuka Shikinami Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Shikinami Langley » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 pm

I just bought the alter Asuka in test suit

anyways currently looking for her 1/2.5 scale figure.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat May 21, 2016 11:57 pm

I got an Art Asylum Sachiel figure/statue at a con today for 15 bucks. Pretty neat! ^_^
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:49 am

Soooooo ^_^
I got my hands on a shiny new credit card... First purchase split across 6 months so I decided to go BIG :shifty:

Just received my Evangelion 8+2 and the W.H.A.M.! AAA Wunder :tojifood:

Kinda feeling some buyer's regret but it usually passes after a week or so... (Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me when I actually have to start paying for the darn thing)

Side note, box is friggin' HUGE! It hardly fits in my Sancta Sanctorum*... Had to reorganize everything...

*the office cabinet where I keep my horcruxes, ejem, figures...

-------------------------------EDIT-------------------------------
Some pics of the Wunder
SPOILER: Show
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

We Are Nice To You
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby We Are Nice To You » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:00 pm

Would figures include the model kits or are they distinct since you don't have to build normal figures? I suppose get this post deleted if it isn't relevant.
I have a few questions but I don't think they're worth making a new thread for.

Are there any quality kits are easier to build? Say, maybe something comparable with a Gundam High Grade, regardless of actual scale? I find a lot of the simple builds to be the most fun.

What are some good kits of Eva Unit 02?

What are some of the best kits to get on a budget?

I heard about a lot of the kits using rubber for the arms and that they're very fragile and don't last very long because of this. Are there any kits where I don't have to worry about that? Maybe some that don't use the rubber or where the rubber is extra durable?

Thanks in advance!

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:23 am

View Original PostWe Are Nice To You wrote:Would figures include the model kits or are they distinct since you don't have to build normal figures? I suppose get this post deleted if it isn't relevant.
I have a few questions but I don't think they're worth making a new thread for.

Are there any quality kits are easier to build? Say, maybe something comparable with a Gundam High Grade, regardless of actual scale? I find a lot of the simple builds to be the most fun.

What are some good kits of Eva Unit 02?

What are some of the best kits to get on a budget?

I heard about a lot of the kits using rubber for the arms and that they're very fragile and don't last very long because of this. Are there any kits where I don't have to worry about that? Maybe some that don't use the rubber or where the rubber is extra durable?

Thanks in advance!

I'll say in advance that I have no experience with any Kotobukiya kits that may exist, and so cannot advise you there. All I have is Bandai.

All the Bandai Eva kits are LMHG (or Limited Model High Grade), so they're essentially the same skill level as the more complex HGs. If we go by Anime scaling, they're about 1/144th scale, as they're around twice the size of a ~20 meter MS. The Rebuild kits are about 1/200th or 1/288th (80 meters rather than 40).

For simple, I'd say that the Bardiel kit is the simplest, as it has an incredibly simple arm construction, and you don't have to assemble the entry plug mechanism. It needs a bit of painting in some places, but it's still a very cool kit, and the painting isn't that necessary.

For Unit-02, you've got three options; Anime Unit-02 (which I have along with Bardiel-- needs a bit of painting, but it's still really awesome), Rebuild 2.0 Unit-02 (the most expensive one, but it also looks cool), and Rebuild 3.0 Unit-02y. Of these three, only 02y doesn't have the rubber arm casings, but I've heard some issues about it.

For a budget, I'd suggest going with the Anime kits. The Rebuild kits are a lot more expensive.

In terms of the rubber... none of the 3.0 kits use rubber (but there's only Unit 08b and 02y available), the Bardiel kit doesn't use rubber, the MP Eva kit doesn't use rubber, and the Perfect Grade Unit-01 uses a stronger rubber. However, MP Eva's arms have no elbow joint, Bardiel's elbows are extremely limited, and the Perfect Grade is even more expensive than 2.0 Unit-02. Finally, I will say this; the thing about the rubber being easy to break doesn't seem particularly true. I've had Unit-02 for a month or two and her arms are still perfectly functional. It's really not that fragile, and it's a really awesome gimmick!
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:18 pm

The question is which Eva-02.

If you want the TV one then get the old but still in production LMHG Bandai kit. It's simple enough breakdown keeps the price down to a lovely 2,500 yen.

If you want the new movie Evas, well there's no cheap options. The Bandai kits have some nice things but are overall an awful representation of the design, the torsos especially are irredeemable. MSRP is 4,800 yen for 02 alpha and 4,200 yen for gamma.

The Kotobikiya alpha/beta kit on the other hand is a hair's breadth away from perfection as far as sculpt goes. 6,200 yen MSRP seems high and worth every penny IMO.

All of the above prices are of course the base price. Depending on where you shop you could easily save 15-30%
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:12 am

I was expecting to see the abominable EoE Eva-02 somewhere in that breakdown.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 am

That only comes in resin kit form from the mighty Akira Tani.

http://cooterie.com/images/view/19667

Really hard to come by and really expensive if you do.

EDIT: a few more pics

Original asking price 6,800 yen, but don't expect to find it for less than 10k these days.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Hmmm. Best girl's ride for her best fight . . . I might have to look into that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Just a warning, Kaiyodo's Robot Museum kits are small. Don't expect anything higher than about 4 inches.

Some cheap but do-able resin kits are Kotobukiya's small TV Evas (not the Technique Impossible kits), which can be found for around 1,000 yen each on Yahoo Auctions Japan. They are articulated and each comes with a lot of weapons and usually include optional parts (two sets of arms for EVA-03, both shoulder types for EVA-00, and I think both types of head for EVA-02 (need to check)). Except for Eva-01, which only includes a gun, but there's a limited edition weapon kit (monochrome box) of the positron rifle (IIRC) for it. There's also a harpy kit in the same scale, but it's not articulated and you need to make the wings yourself.

If you feel adventurous: Kotobukiya's Technique Impossible kits, which are very difficult to build.

Kits to avoid: Volks' old injection kits. They suck (which is too bad because the same line-up includes some pretty awesome accessory sets). There's resin version of the same kits, which supposedly suck much less, but those are very hard to find for sane prices.

(I really should do that page on resin kits I once suggested for the Wiki...)
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:22 pm

So Kotobukiya announced more Eva kits finally.

On top of that Godzilla color Eva-01 we're also getting a Mecha Godzilla color Eva-01

Also they've made completely new molds to make a TV version Eva-01

But apparently they can't be arsed to put the fraction of the effort necessary to make a new heads for the 02 body and release 08, 00, 03.......

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:12 am

Kiryunit 01 looks just like Unit 04. :chinscratch:

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:15 am

With any luck, they'll re-use the tooling from Unit 02 to produce EVA-00 and 03, which I dare think would be appreciated.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:26 am

View Original PostTheAdmiral wrote:With any luck, they'll re-use the tooling from Unit 02 to produce EVA-00 and 03, which I dare think would be appreciated.

08 being the most important one of those.

I'm still completely and utterly baffled why the hell they haven't made any of those yet. Easier money in the world and yet they haven't.

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:08

08 being the most important one of those.

I'm still completely and utterly baffled why the hell they haven't made any of those yet. Easier money in the world and yet they haven't.

How do you figure that unit 08 is the most important? From what I can glean from the sales of the figures, Pinky looks to be to be the least popular. I do agree however that Koto could offer units 00, 03 and 08 with little tooling effort.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:37 pm

02 kit is the Operation US kit. 08 is required to complete the Operation US set.

Also Mari is best grill and MariAsu is canon.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:17 pm

^I think Char-broil is a better brand. :nyao:
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:10 am

I wonder if it would be feasible to have alternative EVA heads 3D-printed? Then it would simply be a matter of plugging them onto an EVA-02 kit body. I've searched on Shapeways to see if anyone else had though of that, but it seems not.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”