[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Continued from http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/3246/Eva-Action-Figures-2/

Evangelion Mark 09 for preorder at AmiAmi...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:23 am

Hhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnqq~
Pre-ordered! And with the quickness too...

Thanks for the heads up!

Until then, count me out of that one.

"I am... Disappointed in you..."

:emogendo:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Gojimatt
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gojimatt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am

So only unit 08 to come, then I'm guessing it will go quiet for a while but I wouldn't be surprised if Kaiyodo knock out some alternative 'awakening' versions of unit 09 and 13 before the end of the year... maybe. And hey we get the 'battle cat' unit 02 some way down the line, not that I'm champing at the bit or anything but I'd get one if they did it.

I Know I might be starting to sound like a broken record but I can't help but think, looking at unit 09, could Yamaguchi take one more swing at 2.0 body type seeing as he's done such a great job on the very simular uni 09?!

Keep dreaming...
'Do not try to escape earthlings or you'll force us to kill you!'

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:59 am

Pre-ordered Mark-09, damn this thing is expensive.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Mark.09 is awesome and all that but it's rather disappointing that it DIDN'T come with a jetpack. I wanted something that was similar to that cute picture of Rei with a toy Mark.09 that DID include a jetpack.

:sniffle:

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:"I am... Disappointed in you..."
:emogendo:

So am I of Revoltech... So am I...

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:13 pm

OK, I may have to get the Q Revoltechs. We probably will get Robot Damashii releases (remember the 1.0 and 2.0 Eva RDs came out in 2010, a full year after the film was first screened) but those figures just look so nice it's a no-brainer.

To be honest, having researched Revoltechs, the only things I have against them are the mid-line cut joints they used for the wrists. Kaiyodo, what were you thinking?

Even the gloss finish doesn't bother me so much any more-I actually quite like the idea of an Evangelion with a glorious enamel finish, glinting in the sunlight as it strides forwards.

Speaking of Kaiyodo, how good are the old Evangelion figures by Kaiyodo (not Revoltechs, this was long before Revoltechs existed)? They certainly LOOK nice, but I don't know how solidly constructed or articulated they are.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

unit450
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:50 pm

View Original PostAurelian wrote:Unit450,

It is unlikely they are going to do 00 (nor 03/04). Medicom seems to be interested in producing only the recent and popular Evas, while 00 is the least favorite for what I can see.

Yea there's a good chance Unit-00 & 03 won't happen(04 a definite no unless they make it a lottery sale), I'm just holding out hope since the pre-order window is much larger between Unit-02 and Unit-08; with enough time to squeeze an exclusive or two in. Just keep in mind Medicom has not been adverse to having two(sometimes four...) exclusives to expo shows such as WonFes, though this one they wait until the summer where they get a bigger presence.

Also aside from getting the popular units to help introduce the line, popularity is not the deciding thing for Medicom; with the other RAH lines you'd end up thinking they're stretching it on some characters they make... It honestly all depends on what the Japanese market wants as that's all that matters to them.

Still I'm gonna have to wait and see what happens. I know I could be wrong with this, but I'm bracing myself just in case.
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

Restriktion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Restriktion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:58 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:OK, I may have to get the Q Revoltechs. We probably will get Robot Damashii releases (remember the 1.0 and 2.0 Eva RDs came out in 2010, a full year after the film was first screened) but those figures just look so nice it's a no-brainer.

To be honest, having researched Revoltechs, the only things I have against them are the mid-line cut joints they used for the wrists. Kaiyodo, what were you thinking?

Even the gloss finish doesn't bother me so much any more-I actually quite like the idea of an Evangelion with a glorious enamel finish, glinting in the sunlight as it strides forwards.

Speaking of Kaiyodo, how good are the old Evangelion figures by Kaiyodo (not Revoltechs, this was long before Revoltechs existed)? They certainly LOOK nice, but I don't know how solidly constructed or articulated they are.

They are actually no 1.0 Robot Damashii Evangelion releases - unless you count Unit-01 because it's design was not subject to change - because box-art only mentions the second movie.

Having been in possession of a Kaiyodo Unit-02 (End of Evangelion ver.) for around a week, i, speaking personally, won't recommend those releases. They certainly provide good renditions of our favourite characters while being exceptionally tall (about 25 cm) by today's standards. However, their main flaw as i expierienced is one that all action figures share - they are (especially) not built to last. My sample's leg came of after a short amount actual play/pose time and the stands plug broke off after approximately less than 15 attachments. A secondary issue is the restricted poseability, as evident in the arms and legs. Judging from my sample the sculpt is as good as you probably expect from Kaiyodo. But if you plan on being restrictive and exceptionally careful while posing, this figure might be a worthwhile addition to your collection.

Ultimately, this is a decision up to you. My opinion is greatly influenced by my negative expierience, and therefore i recommend consulting reviews. Also, be aware that there are more Evangelion figure lines Kaiyodo made before integrating them into their Revoltech lineup.

SEELE-01 wrote:What's loose, the hip hole or the joint?
Pics! Pics!

Well, i know i am late. However, i finally managed to upload a picture.
SPOILER: Show

I suppose that is the hip hole you mentioned? It is also not exactly loose, just unusually worn out for my personal feel.

Also, i am aware i asked this previously, but would anyone here who plans to purchase the upcoming Revoltech Yamaguchi #134 (EVA-08 Alpha) be willing to sell me their gun arm ( or a recast version ) included for #124?

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original PostRestriktion wrote:They are actually no 1.0 Robot Damashii Evangelion releases - unless you count Unit-01 because it's design was not subject to change - because box-art only mentions the second movie.

Having been in possession of a Kaiyodo Unit-02 (End of Evangelion ver.) for around a week, i, speaking personally, won't recommend those releases. They certainly provide good renditions of our favourite characters while being exceptionally tall (about 25 cm) by today's standards. However, their main flaw as i expierienced is one that all action figures share - they are (especially) not built to last. My sample's leg came of after a short amount actual play/pose time and the stands plug broke off after approximately less than 15 attachments. A secondary issue is the restricted poseability, as evident in the arms and legs. Judging from my sample the sculpt is as good as you probably expect from Kaiyodo. But if you plan on being restrictive and exceptionally careful while posing, this figure might be a worthwhile addition to your collection.

Ultimately, this is a decision up to you. My opinion is greatly influenced by my negative expierience, and therefore i recommend consulting reviews. Also, be aware that there are more Evangelion figure lines Kaiyodo made before integrating them into their Revoltech lineup.

Well, i know i am late. However, i finally managed to upload a picture.

I suppose that is the hip hole you mentioned? It is also not exactly loose, just unusually worn out for my personal feel.

Also, i am aware i asked this previously, but would anyone here who plans to purchase the upcoming Revoltech Yamaguchi #134 (EVA-08 Alpha) be willing to sell me their gun arm ( or a recast version ) included for #124?

Thanks. As someone who likes to constantly repose my figures, I'll give the old Kaiyodo figs a miss given the info you've given me.

Also, by the looks of things, your problem could be solved quite easily. I have 3 ideas:

1: Floor polish. The most common fix for loose joints, never tried it myself but it's supposed to work well.
2: Gloss varnish. I've used this for a while (I use Games Workshop varnish, as I paint Warhammer 40,000 models and usually have some left over). It works quite well.
3: Super Glue. There are 2 ways to using this; A: Apply Super Glue to the peg, dab it with a tissue, repeat until you have a thick coating of Super Glue on the peg. B: Apply a small amount of Super Glue to the peg and re-attach the leg. Then swivel and rotate the joint as much as possible until all the glue has set, removing the leg if necessary. This will make the joint much, much tighter, but you must be very careful not to let it actually glue the pieces together-I broke a Jazwares Sonic the Hedgehig figure like that (although that figure used this horrible rubbery plastic with floppy hinge joints, rather than the high-quality ABS plastic with unpluggable peg and socket joints Kaiyodo uses). I used it to tighten up my RD Unit 00's waist and arms, and it worked a treat.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah, basically that Restriktion... Try to enlarge the joint peg so that it fits tighter into the hip hole... Squigsquasher gave some really nice suggestions above!

Also, week post!

Gojimatt
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gojimatt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:18 am

Less than a week to go until Unit 08 is released (roughly speaking) and probably the last figure to use the Evo body sculpt. Though I've warmed up to it a bit I wont be sad to see the back of it. Onward to the next gen of revoltech Evangelions!

Restriktion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Restriktion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:02 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Thanks. As someone who likes to constantly repose my figures, I'll give the old Kaiyodo figs a miss given the info you've given me.

Also, by the looks of things, your problem could be solved quite easily. I have 3 ideas:

1: Floor polish. The most common fix for loose joints, never tried it myself but it's supposed to work well.
2: Gloss varnish. I've used this for a while (I use Games Workshop varnish, as I paint Warhammer 40,000 models and usually have some left over). It works quite well.
3: Super Glue. There are 2 ways to using this; A: Apply Super Glue to the peg, dab it with a tissue, repeat until you have a thick coating of Super Glue on the peg. B: Apply a small amount of Super Glue to the peg and re-attach the leg. Then swivel and rotate the joint as much as possible until all the glue has set, removing the leg if necessary. This will make the joint much, much tighter, but you must be very careful not to let it actually glue the pieces together-I broke a Jazwares Sonic the Hedgehig figure like that (although that figure used this horrible rubbery plastic with floppy hinge joints, rather than the high-quality ABS plastic with unpluggable peg and socket joints Kaiyodo uses). I used it to tighten up my RD Unit 00's waist and arms, and it worked a treat.

Ah, thank you very much for this useful advice.

However, regarding the older Kaiyodo Evangelion models, be warned again that i can only judge from my personal expierience.

Gojimatt wrote:Less than a week to go until Unit 08 is released (roughly speaking) and probably the last figure to use the Evo body sculpt. Though I've warmed up to it a bit I wont be sad to see the back of it. Onward to the next gen of revoltech Evangelions!

Unit-01 and especially Unit-05 were also part of the Evangelion Evolution lineup. However, the official Kaiyodo figure catalogue still lists the figures with the new mold (and lack of accesoires) from Unit-13 onward as being part of the Evangelion Evolution line.

Also, and i know it is not a figure directly related to the third installment of the new theatrical edition of Evangelion, but since we had a post about the Vertex Entry Plug Interior Rei Ayanami here, you might as well be interested in the following:

Well, according to the description this figure stands 210mm tall, is primarily made of PVC and slated for release on the 25th of October 2013.
Manufactured by Arcadia (formerly known as Yamato), it bears a striking resemblance to their Neuromancer action figure line.

Gojimatt
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gojimatt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:02 am

I was simply using Evo as way of referring to the base body type used for the majority of figures in this line thus far (Unit 01 uses essentially the same body type as most of the other Eva Evos the shoulder pylons, chest and obviously the head being the only difference) as a way of differentiating them from their 3.0 brethren. Apologies if my terminology was a little loose.

shaneva002
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby shaneva002 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:36 pm

View Original PostGojimatt wrote:Less than a week to go until Unit 08 is released (roughly speaking) and probably the last figure to use the Evo body sculpt. Though I've warmed up to it a bit I wont be sad to see the back of it. Onward to the next gen of revoltech Evangelions!

Well if you preordered through amiami(I did) expect payment requests as early as the 12th. New releases for revoltechs listed as mid-month usually release on the 16th but payment requests and the actual item being shipped happen a few days earlier. All my EvaEvo preorders went like this: 13th payment request > 14th Shipped.

EDIT: Got my shipping invoice from AmiAmi today, so check your emails!
Internet elitists suck,ya you know who you are.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:09 am

Eva-01 // Mark.06 Revo box set arrived today.

Will probably take some snaps over the weekend.

^_^

Seele-01: You weren't wrong, buddy. It is a very cool package with that sliding feature!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:How good are the original Kaiyodo (not Revoltech) Evangelion figures? They certainly LOOK good, but I don't know if they're well made, well articulated, etc...

Do you mean the Xebec line? Got a whole bunch of them (see bottom of page), but can't speak as to how well their made, as they are all MIP.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

fleeting
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fleeting » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:How good are the original Kaiyodo (not Revoltech) Evangelion figures? They certainly LOOK good, but I don't know if they're well made, well articulated, etc...

I have 8 of them. The metallic repaints look neat. They are not very poseable, and the joints can break due to how long ago they were manufactured. Metallic unit 00 broke right out of the package :(
Bardiel can get the best poses due to his head having 2 different angle options. It would be nice if unit 01 had that because its head is staring down at the ground. Unit 01 also doesn't have elbow joints...so his poses are even more limited. They do come with plenty of weapons which is nice. Oh and the legs are spread really far apart on all the figs. almost looks like they are squatting.

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 am

There's a good amount of shots of Unit 13 on Yamaguchi's twitter- he likes to post pictures of about-to-be-released revoltechs in shenanigans.
https://twitter.com/fuikitodoki
WHERE IS MY UNIT 13 BANDAI

Gojimatt
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gojimatt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:11 am

Sweet find!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”