Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 FAQs

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

iihieiii
Lilith

Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 FAQs

Postby iihieiii » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:22 am

Pages for the Evangelion 1.11 FAQ and Evangelion 2.22 FAQ have been created on the wiki.

Anyone who wants to contribute need only do so in this thread, or better yet sign up for a wiki account and edit the FAQs directly (See below).

Big thanks to iihieiii for getting the ball rolling on this. -- OMF

Hi there =)

I just saw the 3.33 FAQ on Evageeks and realized that 1.11 and 2.22 are kinda missing in there.

For me and for a lot of people out there, there are some things in these movies that are still "confusing" or "not properly explained", and I would like to see some answers/speculation from you guys.

I'm gonna point out everything that I (and practically everyone else ;)) noticed was "missing" from the plot/events/facts/etc from both movies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------EVANGELION - 1.11--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- Why did Rei appear to Shinji at the beginning of the movie?
(I know that we have the "Quantum Rei" theory from EoE, but anything else?)
A:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2- Why is there a white outline on the ground in the shape of an Eva?
A:
3- Why is there a shot reminiscent of the "Red Sea" from End of Evangelion?
A:

4- Why is the sea red, anyway?
A:

Questions 2, 3, and 4 suggest that this may be after EoE (or an alternative universe) and is only Anno trolling... or not....

5- Why did Eva-00 go berserk? Also, why did Gendo get worried about Rei if he can just clone another one?

(It may be because Eva-00 has some part of Yui's soul within, since it was the first Eva prototype, and, combined with Rei 1 piloting inside, this would be like having two souls in one mind, and that could also be why we see Eva-00 putting its hand on its head several times, but I'm just speculating, and this doesn't explain how she can pilot later on.)

(And about Gendo, I believe it was because the Dummy System wasn't ready at the time, and perhaps the cloning machine could not work properly yet.)

A:

ImageImageImage
6- Why was Rei holding Gendo's Glasses while waiting for Shinji?
A:

7- In the conversation between Shinji and Rei, she says that she "is related to everyone", but why, if she is completely introverted and apathetic?
A:

8- Why were Fuyutsuki and Gendo afraid to let Rei pilot Eva-01?
A:

9- Why does Rei appear in Shinji's "dream" in the hospital?
A:

10- Why was Rei reading whats looks like a Bible/book with a strange figure shown in the middle of the page?
A: (Maybe it wasn't Rei 1 in his dream, but Lilith itself (maybe Quantum Rei)?)

11- Why is Lilith's face/mask different compared to NGE?
A: (Isn't this an "Angel face"?)

12- Why are there several other coffins where Kaworu awakens? Why is he on the moon anyway? Why does the moon have a blood stain?
A:

13- Why does Kaworu speak that "strange phrase" when he looks at Mark-06?
A: (May differ depending on the subtitle version, but it's something about being the "Third" again...)

14- What exactly are Seele and the monoliths? (They manage to appear in the middle of space!)
A:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gonna bring the 2.22 questions later on ;)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Post cleaned up for spelling/grammar/etc by request. Lemme know if I missed a spot. - Monk]
Last edited by iihieiii on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sajuuk_Khar
Banned

Postby Sajuuk_Khar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 am

The Answer to
-3 and 4 is that the oceans turned red during second impact. They specifically mention it in 2.0, and the same was true in NGE.

-5 is likely the same reason it went bezerk in NGE, it has Rei 1's soul in it. And Gendo probably got upset because even if they clone her, they still have to "re-teach" her so to speak, and he had grown attached to that clone, and didn't want to have to start his creepy relationship over again.

-8 is most likely because Unit-01 has part of Yui's soul, and since Rei is a clone of Yui, they didn't want Rei and Yui interacting cuz "bad things".

-The bloodstain in Number 12 is the result of second impact , IIRC.

Th3Marauder
Lilith

Postby Th3Marauder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:44 am

The white outline if from one of the Adam's, probably the Adam that became Mark. 09, landing in Tokyo during Second Impact.

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 am

Sajuuk_Khar answers

About 3 and 4:
-Hmm...i thought the same thing....but when Gendo and Fuy were watching the 2i hole from the space...it really seemed like it happend in the other side of the world...but also we don't see any blue water anymore....also i think that this is too simple for ANNO...there must be something behind it (Elmariachi lol)

About 5:
- About Gendo "re-teach" her so to speak, i don't think this learn thing actually exists cuz all clones we saw already know how to talk, walk,and stuff like normal people...

- And for the grown attached to that clone...i kinda doubt...Gendo is cold has ice...and he doesn't seems to bother using everything he has to achieve what he wants...unless the "clone machine" thing wasn't ready at the time...wich is also quite speculated...so still idk lol

Also about 5 and 8:
Even so...how can Rei pilot Eva-00 latter on??????

About 12:
Hmm...we all know that when impacts happend the moon also suffer some kind of stuff...but generally is a "blood cross" format....and that looks like more a stain than a cross...
Lol..sorry but what IIRC means ??

Th3Marauder - answers

About 2:
Ok but 2i acoccurred 14 years ago....why maintain the "white thing" marked for so long??

I doubt this happend later on....because everybody should have seen or knew about it...and in 2.0 the people still has the conception that was a meteor that destroy the planet...not 2i.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:59 am

My advice to you is to watch the original NGE TV Series and look through our treasure trove of Evangelion knowledge on the wiki and the forums. Now, the questions:

1. The main implication here is that Rei has or is going to gain the power to move through time again like in EoE; otherwise why would Shinji have a sudden vision of a girl he's never seen before? Note that ReiQ has a similar vision in 3.0, which further supports this theory.

2. We currently have no real clues, but as Th3Marauder said, it may be an Adam's silhouette.

3.To show us the sea is red now (see answer to 4.). It is also something of a reference to EoE, I guess. There are many such references to EoE scattered amongst the films.

4.The main reason is probably that Second Impact turned the sea red in this continuity. I highly doubt the sequel theory, so all of my answers will not take it into account.

5.In the original NGE it was suggested to be because Rei I was inside the Eva and the traumatic nature of her death had caused to her to go somewhat crazy and try to go after Ritsuko Akagi (because Ritsuko is the daughter of Rei i's murderer, Naoko Akagi). Yui's soul probably isn't in Eva-00, because we see her being inserted into Eva-01 in 3.0. As for Gendo getting worried, he got worried about her in NGE as well. It's probably just sentimentality on his part because he heavily associates Rei with Yui- he gets very worried about Rei and tries to save her in Episode 23 of NGE as well, but just clones her again immediately afterwards. Additionally, if there's a Reiquarium somewhere, like in NGE, then he doesn't even have to go to all the trouble of cloning her again. In NGE we see Rei eventually manages to successfully activate Eva-00 when she has Gendo's glasses with her in the entry plug to keep her calm- we don't see that in 1.0, but it's probable that a similar event occurred and she successfully activated the Eva. Note that not all Eva in the Rebuild continuity are confirmed to have souls- only Eva-01 is known to have a soul in it. As such, the reasons for Eva-00's beserk in 1.0 are still up in the air until Final.

6.She is very attached to said glasses and seems to treasure them; possibly she takes comfort from carrying them around in the same way other people carry talismans or lucky charms.

7. The actual word she uses is kizuna, which means "bond". Possibly Rei thinks of the Eva as a way to bond with others, as it's the only thing she does and the only reason she meets other people. Or, you could say that since Rei contains the soul of Lilith, humanity's progenitor, she is really related to everyone. But she shouldn't be aware of that at this point.

8. Probably because Eva-01 will only accept Shinji as a pilot, as shown in 2.0.

9. She does that in NGE, as well. The best explanation is that Shinji is imagining Rei because she's the only person he seems to want to connect with at this point. Or possibly Quantum!Rei or Lilith has entered to his mind to interact with him. The whole hell traincar is very mysterious because it's unclear how much is reality and how much is just Shinji's delusion.

10.Probably a biology book; in NGE we see Rei reading books on human biology containing drawings of plasmids, cells etc.

11.We have no idea why it's changed; it could be anything from a simple aesthetic redesign to a hint about something that we'll only learn about in Final. Concept art shows they considered using the original mask from NGE, so the decision to use the Angel face must mean something.

12.No idea. There are no clues about this currently. The bloodstain may be the result of Second Impact.

12. He seems to be talking about Shinji (The Third Child). As the Third Angel is killed by Mari at the start of 2.0, there's no-one else he could be talking about.

13. Well, they appeared around Kaworu in the middle of a lake in Episode 24' of NGE. Possibly their appearance in space was telepathic or just Kaworu's imagination. However, in 3.0 we also see hints that they may be more powerful than they appear, although it is also said in 3.0 that they are humans blessed with the Fruit of Knowledge.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Th3Marauder
Lilith

Postby Th3Marauder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:06 am

12.No idea. There are no clues about this currently. The bloodstain may be the result of Second Impact.

It must be from the Second Impact, I'm pretty sure we see the blood spray during the flashback in 2.22, plus the blood stream is how the Adam that became Mk. 06 got there.

2:
Ok but 2i acoccurred 14 years ago....why maintain the "white thing" marked for so long??

I doubt this happend later on....because everybody should have seen or knew about it...and in 2.0 the people still has the conception that was a meteor that destroy the planet...not 2i.

Who says the white thing is removable? A lot of the city is still under ruin and rubble.
Last edited by Th3Marauder on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:15 am

View Original PostTh3Marauder wrote:It must be from the Second Impact, I'm pretty sure we see the blood spray during the flashback in 2.22, plus the blood stream is how the Adam that became Mk. 06.

Yup.
It was even said in 1.0's(2.0's?) complete records collection: "Remains from the 2nd impact" or something like that.

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:06 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:5....when she has Gendo's glasses with her in the entry plug to keep her calm- we don't see that in 1.0, but it's probable that a similar event occurred and she successfully activated the Eva.

Actually she also does in 1.11 =) (Just saw movie right now)

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:6.She is very attached to said glasses and seems to treasure them; possibly she takes comfort from carrying them around in the same way other people carry talismans or lucky charms.

It kinda make sense...and if you look closely every main character has his own object, Shinji has the "old player", Rei got the "Gendo glasses", Misato got her Cross and Asuka got her Doll. Actually thinking a little bit more...they all have this "father" object "connection", except Asuka that the Doll may actually insinuate her mother. =)

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:7.Possibly Rei thinks of the Eva as a way to bond with others, as it's the only thing she does and the only reason she meets other people.

Hmm...i was kind thinking that too :)

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:8. Probably because Eva-01 will only accept Shinji as a pilot, as shown in 2.0.

Actually in this part of the movie they seemed to be more afraid of her just for piloting other than the reaction (beserk) of the Eva itself.[/quote]

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:10.Probably a biology book; in NGE we see Rei reading books on human biology containing drawings of plasmids, cells etc.

Actually when you look closely....it really seems to be a religious figure...thats why i cited the bible. Looks like Mary (mother of jesus).

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:12. He seems to be talking about Shinji (The Third Child). As the Third Angel is killed by Mari at the start of 2.0, there's no-one else he could be talking about.

Hmm....He also says a weird thing like - "You never change do you?" ...i mean...WTF lol

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:13.Possibly their appearance in space was telepathic....
However, in 3.0 we also see hints that they may be more powerful than they appear, although it is also said in 3.0 that they are humans blessed with the Fruit of Knowledge.

Hmm...yeah..this make sense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Original PostTh3Marauder wrote:It must be from the Second Impact, I'm pretty sure we see the blood spray during the flashback in 2.22, plus the blood stream is how the Adam that became Mk. 06 got there.

Who says the white thing is removable? A lot of the city is still under ruin and rubble.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:It was even said in 1.0's(2.0's?) complete records collection: "Remains from the 2nd impact" or something like that.

Hmm...you guys gotta a point. Gonna re-watch to see if catch this Remains part :)

Well...thanks for the answers guys...it really helped =)...i hope that who is seeing this also get some doubts answered ;P...
but also lets speculate about 8, 10 and 12, they still seems "not right" lol

Last edited by iihieiii on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:10 am

4. turned red as a result of second impact
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:31 am

3- Why appears a "scene" showing reference to the "Red Sea" from End of Evangelion?

Probably Anno wanting to shock the viewers by a scene similar to the end of the previous continuity to make us all go "OMG it's a Sequel"!

4- Why the Sea is red anyway?

Second Impact, note that in NGE the Second Impact did a similar thing, but only on the Antarctic. That probably means that the 4 ADAMs of NME managed to do more damage than the lone ADAM of NGE.

5- What is the plot behind the Berserk of Eva-00? Also, why Gendo gets worried about Rei if he can just clone another one?

Could be that Rei I's soul is inside EVA-00, like it's hinted in NGE, or maybe it's just that EVA-00 is a prototype which tends to bug a lot(it wasn't even means to be used in a battle situation!)
As for Rei, NME insist even more on the fact that Gendo probably considers Rei as a surrogate daughter : during the first hell train scene there is again the scene where Yui and Gendo discuss about their future child's name, and Gendo said that if it's a boy he would like to call him Shinji, and Rei if it's a girl, and Yui agreed. The fact that Yui's maiden name is revealed to be Ayanami in NME's continuity reinforce that. That would also explain why Ritsuko seems to have a far better relationship with Rei than in NME : it's clear for her that Gendo sees Rei as a daughter and not a Yui bis, and thus a threat to her relationship with Gendo.
So Gendo is worried about Rei because he genuinely see her as a daughter, and interacted with her during years to the point that he developed some actual paternal instinct. His behavior in Q and how he treats the Ayanami series as only tools to be used and discarded once worn shows that he got past that, which is not really a good thing since it make him even more colder and able to manipulate his son to almost complete insanity, that's character development, but not a positive one...

6- Why was Rei holding Gendo Glasse's when waiting for Shinji?

It could be a talisman that reassure her when she's gonna to make something that make her nervous, like having to talk to someone she's not used to, or piloting EVA-00 after what happened the last time, like said earlier, her own version of Shinji's SDAT, Misato's cross, Asuka's doll or Maya's handkerchief.

7- In the conversation between Shinji and Rei, she quotes that "is related to everyone", but how come if she is completely introverted and apathetic?

She has been created to pilot an EVA, that's literally her purpose in life, what she has been brought to the world for. So piloting the EVA and protecting the world is her only ties to the rest of the world, at least until her character development in 2.0.
Even more if like in NGE she has Lilith's soul : as a "goddess", piloting the EVA is her only way to interact with her "children" in a way that don't includes them completely freaking out!

8- Why Fuysktiki and Gendo were afraid to let Rei pilot the Eva-01?

Well if Rei has Lilith's soul and EVA-01 is made from Lilith's flesh like in NGE? maybe they fear what could happen if EVA-01 get berserk and absorb Rei, having Lilith resurrect right in the middle of the street wasn't really in the covenant...
If EVA-01 is one of the 4 ADAMs, then maybe they feared what could happen if an ADAM absorbs Lilith's soul(probably nothing, since something similar happened later when Rei got nommed by Zeruel, but better safe than sorry!)
Maybe they feared what could happen if Yui detects a pilot which isn't her beloved son, maybe she will refuse her, maybe she will let being piloted but with a poor synchronization and refuse to go berserk if things go wrong...
Anyway there is a lot of things that could happen, letting Shinji piloting EVA-01 is currently what produce the best and more stable result, so it's better to make Shinji pilot her whenever it's possible.

9- Why Rei appears on Shinji's "dream" in the hospital?

Maybe it's a part of Shinji's subconscious representing his desire to please his father, what Shinji idealize to be : a pilot who's not afraid to fight and whom Gendo talk often.
Maybe it's Rei who is telepathically speaking with him(whether she's conscious of it or not) thanks to the fact she's a clone of Yui, or maybe it's an hint that she has Lilith's soul.

10- Why were Rei reading whats look like to be a Bible/Book and a strange figure is shown in the middle of the Bible/Book?

If I recall correctly, it's a fairy tale book, written in English, it looks like it's her hobby. Shinji noticed that, that's why in Q he was surprised that "Rei" didn't had any book, and knew that she favored books in English.

12- Why has several other chests where Kaworu wakes? Why is he on the moon anyway? Why the moon has a blood stain?

The script says that they are "Kaworu coffins", one possibility is that it's an hint of the Sequel/Time Loop theory and that Kaworu wakes up in a new coffin where a body is stored to try again.
Another possibility is that these coffins are SEELE's version of the "Reiquarium" (a "Kaworuquarium" if you want) and that a Kaworu is always active to be kept on the loop of how SEELE's plan are advancing(he seems to be more of an associate in NME, unlike in NGE where he was their servant) and when the expiration date comes, Kaworu's souls transfer itself in a new body on the next coffin.

As for his presence in the Moon and the bloodstain in it, as said earlier in a storyboard there was a scene where it's revealed that the bloodstain comes from 2I and that it ejected one of the ADAM(and probably the LoC too) to the Moon. It's possible that this ADAM is Kaworu's original body, and that since it seems to be in a coma and useless, SEELE came, extracted the soul to put it in a Lilin body and refitted the ADAM body as Mark.06 for further use.

BUT, interview in the 2.0 CRC revealed that Anno likes to keep as much possibilities opens as possible, and that it happened that he ordered a scene to be changed at the last moment, sometimes while it was on animation phase!
So for now I would say that we can't know, it will depends on Anno's decision, we do know that they intended to explain that it's from 2I, but now Anno could go all "LOL Sequel" if he wants.

I'm not even sure he will respond that question in FINAL, or one day...

13- Why Kaworu speaks that "strange phrase" when he looked at Mark-06?

We don't have any single idea, maybe that's an hint of a Time Loop/Sequel/Parallel dimension, or maybe that the Moon's lack of owygen that's affecting Kaworu's brain, who knows?(except Anno) :lol:

14- What exactly are SEELE and they monoliths? (They manage to appear in the middle of the space!!!)

Gendo in Q hint's that they are not human beings anymore, and that it's the case since millenia ago and that SEELE guided mankind in the shadows since the beginning of civilization(and that they are the ones who gave civilization to mankind, whatever that means)
From here, it's easy to imagine that they have to nifty powers, like teleportation or telepathy... the reason they use an holographic chamber to communicate with Gendo in 2.0 could be that they don't want Gendo to know that part about their true nature and that this "green room" is part of a masquerade to make Gendo and Fuyu believe that these monoliths are just fancy avatars for reunions!
Of course during the time skip, Gendo and Fuyu learned about SEELE's true nature.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:51 pm

From here, it's easy to imagine that they have to nifty powers, like teleportation or telepathy... the reason they use an holographic chamber to communicate with Gendo in 2.0 could be that they don't want Gendo to know that part about their true nature and that this "green room" is part of a masquerade to make Gendo and Fuyu believe that these monoliths are just fancy avatars for reunions!

BTW....in Q we also see Gendo and Fuy pushing off the Monoliths Plugs and shutting them down...so this kinda breaks the nifty powers theory...BUT... they also were in that "red core" state and seems that they were "hacked" and weak, also trapt in that room...

Another thing thats bug me is that on NGE i believe that they human forms or bodys appear in some episodes.....and on Rebuild not.

Of course during the time skip, Gendo and Fuyu learned about SEELE's true nature.

....OR like u said...Later on Gendo and Fuy discover the truly nature of them and manage to "take them down" that way...=P

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:44 pm

A big thanks to iihieiii for getting the ball rolling on this. It was badly needed.

I've created wikipages for the Evangelion 1.11 FAQ and the Evangelion 2.22 FAQ. I've filled in a few questions and some answers on the 1.11 FAQ to start us off, but both pages remain works in progress.

Right now we need more content. This means
  • More appropriate FAQ questions and
  • More answers to questions.

And the only way to get both is for people to contribute, either by
  • Asking/answering questions in this thread, or by
  • Signing up to the wiki and editing the pages directly.

Everyone's input is welcome here, especially on the wiki. Given the enthusiasm already shown for answering questions, I know people can make great contributions. Let's do this.

EDIT: Ideas and contributions on FAQ organisation/presentation are also welcome. Don't assume that the FAQ format is set in stone.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:56 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:A big thanks to iihieiii for getting the ball rolling on this. It was badly needed.

Everyone's input is welcome here, especially on the wiki. Given the enthusiasm already shown for answering questions, I know people can make great contributions. Let's do this.

EDIT: Ideas and contributions on FAQ organisation/presentation are also welcome. Don't assume that the FAQ format is set in stone.

I Agreed 100%:D..thats why i manage to create this thread...those doubts were bugging me along the movies lol...and since i didn't saw any proper format like this for 1.11 and 2.22 i decided to make my own """FAQ""" =P

This WIKI idea also should be awesome...but since my "English Grammar" is not that good and i don't have any WIKI experience...i chose to make this simple thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also my original idea was to complete the questions myself after they got answered (You can see the A: thing below the questions) ....but for my grammar problems and laziness :hahaha: ...i hope that some day a Mod bro (MONK ED :rolleyes:) could properly complete my post. :tongue: or better yet...make the 1.11/2.22 FAQ on EvaGeek Wiki.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by iihieiii on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Don't worry, I'll be taking a hacksaw to your posts soon enough.

EDIT: Done. That took surprisingly long.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:57 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Don't worry, I'll be taking a hacksaw to your posts soon enough.

:tongue:

Also...there were more questions that i had doubt previously...but since i got answered by checking on this forum and on google....they might help other "normal fans" who doesn't know the basics or didn't understand some scenes of the series...

I'm gonna try to find them and post in here.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 pm

The coffins thing is probably a pun on Kaworu's name - the "Shisha" pun that was acknowledged way back in the original series. "Shisha" means "messenger" but with different Kanji, it means "dead person". Dead people go in coffins.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Th3Marauder
Lilith

Postby Th3Marauder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:43 am

Why didn't Shinji want to pilot Eva-01 initially?
Not only is he scared, but he also feels betrayed by Gendo, his father, for abandoning him all those years ago, and when he finally sends for him, it's only because he needs his son for something.

How did Rei obtain her injuries at the start of the film ?
As we see later on, the activation test for Unit-00 went wrong, resulting in the Unit going berserk. When Rei's entry plug was ejected she was badly injured when it hit the ceiling and also when it fell to the floor.

Why don't Gendo and Shinji get along?
After Shinji's mother, Yui Ikari, was killed in a freak accident, Gendo left Shinji and wen't to continure his work at Nerv. Shinji grew up with his 'teacher', and has never forgiven his father for leaving him.

Why did Misato take Shinji in?
While there could be some deeper sexual undertones to this, as in the orignal series, it seems that Misato just wanted to make Shinji feel at home in Tokyo-3, especially after what had just happened with the Angel, as well as between Shinji and Gendo.

Why are Gendo's glasses in Rei's room?
The glasses were partially broken when Gendo rescued Rei from the entry plug during Unit-00 went wrong, having fallen on the floor and seemingly partially melted due to the heat, as well as the glass cracking. Gendo obviously just had new glasses, but Rei kept them for sentimental reasons, something seemingly out of character for her.

Why did Rei slap Shinji?
Because Shinji was being disrespectful and questioning of his father, Gendo, who Rei has great respect and confidence in.

Why was Rei holding Gendo's glasses while waiting for Shinji at the hospital?
Most likely just as a reassurance thing. There is more to the Rei/Shinji/Gendo relationship then it seems.

What is Kaworu doing on the Moon?
Unknown. It is entirely possible Seele was keeping him there for when he was needed, and it may also have something to do with the Second Impact, as the bloodstain from the event crosses straight over the coffin he awakens from. Seele awoke Kaworu because Mark.06 had begun construction, and they would soon need Kaworu to fulfil their plans.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:05 am

About the giant bloodstain, it was put on the storyboard that it came from Second Impact, but in interviews it's revealed that Anno can changes him mind and for a scene to be changed even at the very last minute because he likes to keep open as many possibilities as possible, so any scene that isn't actually shown in the film and described in the script can not have actually happened.
The best would be to mention that there was a storyboard explaining that there is an unused storyboard explaining that the bloodstain and the ADAM in the Moon comes from Second Impact, and that it's then the most possible explanation, but that until further notice it's only speculation.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 am

Well, at this point the 2nd impact remains thing would be the most logical reason. (I don't think that Anno has scrapped the "original" idea he had. It would be less mysterious if the storyboard had said that the bloodstain and Adam was from the 2nd impact. Also, we know how Anno likes to be mysterious about things)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 am

As I said, the bloodstain and ADAM presence in the Moon as a consequence of 2I is the most likely explanation, since the team planned to show it, but Anno changed it, maybe it's for keep it mysterious, but since the interview said that Anno also like to keep as many doors open as possible to adapt his story to his new ideas, it's also possible that he changed it to keep the possibility to add another explanation(SEELE transported the ADAM in the Moon and were able to do it because they are FAR with some of their powers and technology left, Sequel Theory, he can say anything he wants)

Return to “Old Stickies”