Convention General Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Convention General Thread

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Just got back from Anime Boston. Got some nice Eva artwork, saw FLOW in concert. By far the coolest Eva related thing I saw was at the Asylum Anime booth in the dealers room. These guys go to Japan 3 times a year to find old animation cels, and they had a bunch from Eva. Some of the more interesting ones were:

Asuka in Eva 2 during the fight against the MP Evas
    Giant Naked Rei just as she starts to "decay"
    Eva 2 after it got eviscerated by the MP Evas
    Asuka with "CHANCE" face
    A good shot of Asuka in her plug suit, not sure which cut exactly
    Half and half of Eva 1 and Eva 2 during their synchronized fight
I was freaking out internally for a solid 30 minutes after leaving the booth. I was touching literal pieces of my favorite show. The pricing was quite a bit outside my range, but I'd definitely like to own a couple of Eva cels in the future.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:55 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Just got back from Anime Boston. Got some nice Eva artwork, saw FLOW in concert. By far the coolest Eva related thing I saw was at the Asylum Anime booth in the dealers room. These guys go to Japan 3 times a year to find old animation cels, and they had a bunch from Eva.

I've bought stuff from these guys the last four years at ACen, and I was actually thinking about them today since it's coming up. They usually have some sweet Eva stuff in those tubs of misc stuff, and last year I bought three absolutely awesome NGE posters from them. Glad to see someone else giving them some love.

I don't think I'd have it in me to pay for a cel even though they are very cool. I just don't know what I'd do with it.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:26 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I've bought stuff from these guys the last four years at ACen, and I was actually thinking about them today since it's coming up. They usually have some sweet Eva stuff in those tubs of misc stuff, and last year I bought three absolutely awesome NGE posters from them. Glad to see someone else giving them some love.

I didn't really look at their other stuff closely, but I did see some Eva wall scrolls that they had pinned up on the wall, and they had the Eva-00 and Eva-02 entry plug figures up on display. I would have liked to spend more time there but we were in a hurry to get food when I found the booth.

I don't think I'd have it in me to pay for a cel even though they are very cool. I just don't know what I'd do with it.

Oh it would be a total vanity purchase. I just think it would be really cool to be able to say "Hey, see this really cool scene from my favorite show? I literally own a piece of it."

Also, I'm kinda amazed these guys take the time to come all the way up here, considering they're headquarters are in Kentucky.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 pm

riffraff11235 wrote:Oh it would be a total vanity purchase. I just think it would be really cool to be able to say "Hey, see this really cool scene from my favorite show? I literally own a piece of it."

Yea, I definitely feel ya, man. I'm just too much of a cheapskate. It would be really something to have a cel from EoE or my favorite episode though(Ep. 19)

----------
Speaking a bit of ACen, they just announced this week that Mitsuo Iso is going to be attending this year! Celebrate, Chicago area Evageeks! I may cry when I see him.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Just found out that Yuriko Yamaguchi, who is the voice of Ritsuko Akagi will be attending Universal FanCon in Baltimore this April.

I'm going to have to see what I can do to swing an interview.

https://www.universalfancon.com/guest/yuriko-yamaguchi/

Whelp, looks like Yuriko Yamaguchi has been dropped from Universal FanCon's schedule. So much for that...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm

OH MAN. THE PLOT THICKENS:

Inaugural Universal FanCon Indefinitely Postpones Convention One Week Before Event
https://popculturebento.com/ufc-postponed/

WHOMP WHOMP

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Oh boy, that doesn't sound good.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue May 01, 2018 4:20 pm

FanimeCon and AnimeExpo to hold Jojo themed escape room.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... me/.131073

I don't really care for these sorts of things but, it being Jojo-themed, I'm sorely tempted to try it out if I decide to go to AX this year.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu May 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Not exactly an anime themed convention but I plan to save up some money so that by next year, I can travel to Baltimore for BronyCon.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Not exactly an anime themed convention but I plan to save up some money so that by next year, I can travel to Baltimore for BronyCon.

Coming to visit my backyard eh?

If you do, and you need any advice from a local, hit me up.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu May 03, 2018 4:00 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Coming to visit my backyard eh?

If you do, and you need any advice from a local, hit me up.

Thanks! I'll consider it. ^_^
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu May 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Some interesting news, apparently next summer the Dominican Republic is going to have it's very first con! Even though I live in Puerto Rico which is relatively close by, I have not once traveled there even though many of my family have in the past so if everything goes right, I might hit that one up in 2019.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun May 27, 2018 6:18 am

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 am

Hi everyone, I'm very pleased to announce that I will be presenting not one, but two Evangelion panels at Otakon this year, which in 15 years of presenting at Otakon is a first for me! The fact that this year's theme is mecha probably had something to do with that. :)

Sadly, I was not considered to be a featured presenter, but it's not a big deal, there's always other years, and this year I get to bring more Eva to the table!

I hope I'll see one or more of you folks there.

Here's the panels I'll be presenting:

Evangelion's Shinji Ikari, a painfully close look.

Shinji Ikari, he's the main character in one of the most enduring anime franchises. We'll take a look at what people love and hate about him, his role in the series, his design and creation, and the many incarnations throughout the Evangelion franchise. Did you know in one manga, he's a detective?

Evangelion, written and directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino.

In 1979 and 1980, Mobile Suit Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon were broadcast. Fifteen years later, many story and thematic elements were taken from them to create Neon Genesis Evangelion. We'll dive into each of these series, and how much Evangelion owes to Sunrise and Yoshiyuki Tomino.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:10 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Hi everyone, I'm very pleased to announce that I will be presenting not one, but two Evangelion panels at Otakon this year, which in 15 years of presenting at Otakon is a first for me! The fact that this year's theme is mecha probably had something to do with that. :)

Sadly, I was not considered to be a featured presenter, but it's not a big deal, there's always other years, and this year I get to bring more Eva to the table!

I hope I'll see one or more of you folks there.

Here's the panels I'll be presenting:

I should really go to Otakon one of these days, your panels always sound like the kind of stuff I love to nerd over. And yes, I did know Shinji was a detective, I braved -55 degree Celsius weather to get a copy of that manga back in the day. :lol:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I should really go to Otakon one of these days, your panels always sound like the kind of stuff I love to nerd over.

I've heard good things about Anime North in Toronto. Have you ever been? I ought to get up there some time.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Hey fam, I'm going to be down in Alexandria, VA for MAGLabs a week from Saturday. MAGLabs is a cool little event that's part video game fest, part music fest, and part maker fest. So if you like video games, music, and making things, I'll be there hosting some sessions on making things on YouTube, and making things with Fuse Beads.

MAGLabs
https://labs.magfest.org/
September 7-9, 2018
Alexandria, VA

• You too, can be a YouTuber!
• Getting Started with Fuse Beads

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Hey yo Are you planing on going to any conventions in Houston any time?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 pm

View Original PostAmbiant23 wrote:Hey yo Are you planing on going to any conventions in Houston any time?

I want to at some point. There are a few folks in Houston and Austin I want to hang out with.

The deciding factor is cost. But if someone wants to pay for a plane ticket and a hotel room, I'll be there. You could try requesting me as a guest. I doubt very much I'll be considered, but who knows, maybe by the time the next event rolls around, I'll be internet famous.

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 am

Cool I know there has been some controversy with Anime Matsuri but they are having an Eva theme again next year. You should definitely check it out. Or you look into DeltaHCon they are much smaller but they would have a better chance of paying for your tickets.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”