Convention General Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

The con thread!

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Not sure if we had one of these, am so sleepy I haven't bothered to look. :P
Anyway, lets talk about the local cons we all go to or are aware of.

Anyway, I am going to Otakon this year after all and gophering again. :P
Honestly didn't think I was going to make the cut money wise but I had some unexpected financial gain. It was lucky. :)
So I will gopher that weekend, probably getting a hotel room with a friend. It will be awesome really and maybe this year I can finally make staff. I haven't heard any specifics yet but I am sure monkey-dono will keep us updated. :)
Hope there are plenty of eva panels, or at least one on Deadman Wonderland. Wanna see if there will be a second season of that, though it is doubtful with the laws they passed in Tokyo. =/

Anyone else going to the con this year? I am hoping we can get one of Monkey-Dono's famous meet-ups together. :)
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Summercon, the oldest hacker con, been around since the 80's, and my friend was passed the torch in the late 90's and I've helped with running it ever since. This year it's gonna be back at Littlefield in Brooklyn, the venue was awesome for us last year, and the same burlesque troop will be performing at the after party. A couple of speakers from last year will be presenting some new research. Also Charlie Miller and Jon O will be doing a talk, two big hitters in the field of Apple and kernel hacking. Previous cities we've held Summercon at include Pittsburgh, Atlanta, DC, Austin, Amsterdam (a wild one that was). This is also the 2nd year in a row that we've got sponsors, so we're not paying for everything out of pocket and ending up in the red like the last 10+ years (though last year we ended up in the red anyways despite having Accuvant as a sponsor because of a $15k bar tab).

So if you're in the NYC area, and are interested in meeting people and learning about some security, PM me and I'll hook you up, or if you're a student, Facebook (lol!) is generously sponsoring student tickets so you can get in for free, on Facebook's tab. Seriously, if you're in the area come check it out. Weekend of June 8th.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 am

Heading to SMASH! again this year, as will Yuko Miyamura. This will be the 3rd year in a row that I get to see her at a con. So, if you have any suggestions for questions, give them to me.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 am

Darn ornette, that sounds fun. :P
Wish my PO would give me permission to leave state for that.
Interesting Quote:
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Nom-Con in Dublin will have Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield attending. Might be staffing it

Eirtakon, a few months later will probably have me running a modelling panel at it. (And I have no idea what to do....)

Irish animé con scene didn't exist in 2005, now there's several going. Most university-based with one or two independent. Even the old gaming cons have also diversified a little towards the animé end of things.

Eurocon 2014 will also be held in Dublin.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Forbes prints a teaser on the Miller and Jon O presentation at Summercon: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/06/04/to-hide-android-malware-from-googles-bouncer-hackers-learn-its-name-friends-and-habits/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I'd like to go to Otakon and NYAF this year, but I have no idea how likely that would be without a source of income. NYAF would be easiest since Otakon is far away, but I heard last year's NYAF sucked, so... >_> I guess I'd be properly motivated to get NYAF if there would be an EGF panel, but who knows how likely that would be. Only cons I attended so far were A/X 04, Fanime 09 and Fanime 10.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:34 pm

View Original PostDartz wrote:Nom-Con in Dublin will have Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield attending. Might be staffing it

Im thinking about booking a ticket for that :)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'd like to go to Otakon and NYAF this year ... but I heard last year's NYAF sucked

If it's between those two, either go to Otakon, or don't go to either. Don't go to NYCC for NYAF, go to NYCC for NYCC. If you go for NYAF, like I kind of did, you will be disappointed. If I go this year, it will be to show up, do an Eva panel, and then hang out with people I know in NYC away from NYCC.

So... Otakon.

Panel roster is up:
http://www.otakon.com/events_panellist12.asp

I have three panels, a first for me at Otakon. I am doing:

Evangelion Manga: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Anime For Non-Anime Fans
Intro to Retro Game Collecting

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Wow, this may be one of the few useful threads I have started. :D

@SSD:
You can do gophering like I do and get your money back afterwards. :)
The only thing after that is hotel rooms, that my issue I am running with now. I live near baltimore right now, just in the area known as Dundalk. I am honestly iffy about taking the bus back and forth from there every day of the con, since I am working I want a place near there so I can get their early and ASAP.
Gonna shoot for 26 hours of work this year and maybe a staff position guys, wish me luck. :)

@Monkey-dono:
I am hoping to work panel-ops this year. I am most interested in that for now since one year I may want to plan a panel or two. :)
Maybe you can grab me off the list this year? :D
Lol, but I also wanted to work gopher-ops, but it may be redundant having a gopher work gopher-ops. Still, as long as I don't have to work spec-ops again I am fine, that was hell last year. =/
Interesting Quote:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:44 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:You can do gophering

The term is Gofer, as in "Go for...".

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:@Monkey-dono:
I am hoping to work panel-ops this year. I am most interested in that for now since one year I may want to plan a panel or two. :)

FYI, I am not in a position of responsibility this year, so I'm not planning to spend a ton of time in Panel Ops, and when I am on duty, I'm there to work, not to socialize.

Also, gofering in Panels is not likely to get you any real inside knowledge or leverage for securing a panel in the future. If you want to host a panel, come up with a good idea that is relevant, start researching it, and coalesce it into a presentation. That's really all that it is. Most of the rest is credibility, connectedness, and experience.

NeverKnowsBest
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NeverKnowsBest » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm

O Yeah! Three panels! Shall we partake in sampling gentlemanly drinks yet again this year my fine sir?

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Life is not so much random chocolates,
as it is a can of sour soda that we open up, and guzzle down.
We know it is sour, but we will drink it anyway.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:
FYI, I am not in a position of responsibility this year, so I'm not planning to spend a ton of time in Panel Ops, and when I am on duty, I'm there to work, not to socialize.

Also, gofering in Panels is not likely to get you any real inside knowledge or leverage for securing a panel in the future. If you want to host a panel, come up with a good idea that is relevant, start researching it, and coalesce it into a presentation. That's really all that it is. Most of the rest is credibility, connectedness, and experience.

Trust me, I myself will have very little time to socialize this year either, I am going to be working my butt off to make more of an impression than last year to secure a staff position. Just need to pocket some whole hearted recommendations.

Also thanks for the tip. Guess I will only get the benefit of seeing how they typically work then. :P
I wish I had that info when I put panel-ops of my preference list though. Oh well, I will just see where they put me anyway, unlikely I will get the place I listed. :P

But now I will do panel research.
Interesting Quote:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:32 pm

View Original PostNeverKnowsBest wrote:O Yeah! Three panels! Shall we partake in sampling gentlemanly drinks yet again this year my fine sir?

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Possibly. Hilton bar?

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Sounds decent, unless you guys wanna do the bar at edo sushi. :P
I am gonna try to grab one lunch there during the con.

That is supposing the doggy is invited and isn't working a shirt. Bar beats the gofer break room. :P
Interesting Quote:

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:43 pm

anyone here going to Gen-Con?
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:05 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Heading to SMASH! again this year, as will Yuko Miyamura. This will be the 3rd year in a row that I get to see her at a con. So, if you have any suggestions for questions, give them to me.

I'll also be attending Smash! again, however I am a shy type of person so if you have suggestions for questions please give them Fazmotron. Yuko Miyamura previously attended in 2010 alongside Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield, for those who are interested here is Fazmotron's newspots about the convention.

As Yuko Miyamura's attendance makes this a relevant event for the local EvaGeeks, Fazmotron may choose to wear his EvaGeeks Hat TM so that you may identify him, if he does so, I may also wear an as-yet-undecided form of EvaGeekIdentification. A thread for the convention with information will be created in the Anime/Manga subforum closer to the date.

The Eva Monkey wrote:I have three panels, a first for me at Otakon. I am doing:

Evangelion Manga: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Anime For Non-Anime Fans
Intro to Retro Game Collecting

Hey TEM! Glad to see you got some of your new panels ready. Is the manga panel also a new one? Let us know how they go!
Voluntary Illusion.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Hey TEM! Glad to see you got some of your new panels ready. Is the manga panel also a new one? Let us know how they go!

I've done Intro to Retro Game Collecting a couple of times now. Evangelion Manga: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Anime For Non-Anime Fans are both new for me. So I should have my work cut out for me. I need to get to work on them soon, I really want to rock out at Otakon this year.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:48 pm

OK, so now im not going to Nom-Con due to family commitments.

Was a bit worried about how much it would cost and all (not to mention worrying about going on my own and feeling out of place being some years older then the majority of the people there), so its good in a way the decision is made for me.

Had a whole bunch of questions to ask Tiff and Matt too. Ah well.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Monkey-dono you rock naturally so it shouldn't be that hard to blow em away at otakon. :D
Interesting Quote:

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”