Fire Emblem Franchise

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Fire Emblem Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 07, 2017 4:56 pm

http://wwg.com/2017/05/06/fire-emblem-e ... 3ds-entry/

Fire Emblem Echoes will be the series Last entry on the 3DS.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

chazthesilencer
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue May 09, 2017 1:18 am

T'was expected. Leaving the 3DS with a trilogy is a nice way to go.
At least the west isn't getting stiffed on the third title this time, as it was during the GBA era.

Especially cheeky is knowing the Binding Blade is available on the virtual console, just not in English regions.
EGF's best posts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A blog I sometimes write something about stuff on

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon May 29, 2017 2:42 am

Btw. Studio Khara did the CGI Character animation for Echoes.

Well that certainly explains why we haven't gotten Final yet.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

chazthesilencer
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:10 pm

I just hope they weren’t responsible for this:
Eurgh. The choppy frames are one thing, but the Power Ranger posing is especially cringe-worthy.

After 54 hours of gameplay, I’ve cleared Fire Emblem Echoes’ main campaign, classic hard. Loved it.
Most Valuable Units ended up being Faye (Peg Knight), Tobin (archer), and Mae.

Some thoughts:

The artwork is nice. It’s good to see a subtly different style from what was used in Awakening and Fates.
I’m not a fan of Gray’s appearance however. He looks like the fleshy brother of that creepy, Saban Pinocchio cartoon that gave me nightmares as a child.

English-only is a bummer, but at the very least the dubbing is pretty damn good.
My only gripe was with Est’s pronunciation of the word “herb”.
It’s not “an ‘Erb”, it’s “a Herb”. Bloody yanks…

Dungeon-exploring is a neat idea, but this game didn’t do nearly enough with it.
Run around a little, smash a few pots, battle a monster/pirate, rinse and repeat. Secrets and treasures were very few and far between, the exploration was rarely rewarding. I’ll be happy to see the feature return bigger and better in FE: Switch.

I like the short supports. Although- I do miss the ability to ship. Poor Faye. Rejected.

Archers are OP in this game.

The fatigue mechanic barely ever came up during my play through. It’s an interesting idea, encouraging you to use different units and whatnot, but if your units replenish strength automatically between story battles, what’s the point of even showing us their statuses upon clearing a stage?

“Rout the enemy”. You see this a lot. Come on, intelligent systems, be a little more creative with your stage objectives.

“Miss”. This is the four-letter word of Echoes.

I was very happy to see the white wings in this game (Est is a red-head instead of a pinky, but whatever) and even more so to see the triangle attack return.
Less happy to find out it costs 10 HP to activate the triangle attack. I would argue that It’s tricky enough positioning three units to correctly perform the attack in the first place, but fair enough, I can live with a 10 HP cost.
Not happy in the least to find out the triangle attack is not guaranteed to land a critical hit. Well, at least it’s 100% accurate, right?
Very unhappy to discover the triangle attack is not a guaranteed hit. It can miss. MISS. I’ll just say it: this is the worst Fire Emblem game ever.

EDIT- OMFG, I just realised Anna doesn't make an appearance anywhere. This really is the worst Fire Emblem.

========

Whelp, guess that’s my 3DS done. Originally bought it just to play Awakening. Fitting that it be book-ended by another Fire Emblem game.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 am

Kyle McCarley, the english voice of Alm is streaming the game on Twitch. Pop in if you're interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149131148? ... 6bmGxBRn3g

I'll be giving my full thoughts on the game once I've finally finished the damn thing.

I will say this though, I'm more emotionally invested in Alm and Celica's story than I ever was for Chrom, Robin, or Corin. I like Awakening and Fates well enough (despite the botched localization in the latters case), but there was always need for a customizable man character which kept things overtly generic and kept me from getting as invested as I wanted.

I have a feeling before the end of Echoes, I'm going to be crying.

chazthesilencer
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:17 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I have a feeling before the end of Echoes, I'm going to be crying.

I won’t spoil anything- I’ll just say that this unlikely. Pardon the pun- but Echoes’ ending feels are far cry from those of Awakening and Blazing Sword.

One week after Echoes’ completion I can see now that the game’s replay value is disappointingly low.
I often start a new save file right after completing a Fire Emblem game, to try out different difficulties, take different routes, collect supports, experiment with different characters etc.… but there’s only one real decision in Echoes that creates a branch of sorts, requiring a second play-through to experience both branches:

Who do you fight: Sonya or Deen?

No, not a significant decision at all. The game doesn’t even hint that this is a choice. Fight one, and the other disappears without warning.

I played on hard difficulty, collected all the supports, promoted all my units… the game really is completed, and on my first play-through no less. Sure, you’re allowed some free-roaming after the story ends like in Sacred Stones, but what’s the point?

Oh well.

========

Started a new game of Fates. I’ll grit my teeth and give the child units a go this time.

Some of the support science videos by youtuber Ghast station have been enjoyable. He also does gameplay vids, but I can’t stand those. Nothing I hate more than someone who “Um”s and “Uhh”s between words.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Well branching storylines are something you sometimes have to sacrifice for the sake of telling a compelling, if somewhat linear story. the story of Last Of Us would likely have been hampered with Branching paths.

Also, I love the into animation when Alm and Celica enter their dungeons, How Alm lights a torch and draws his sword, and Celica pulls out a little floating ball of fire to light her path.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”