Speculation for live-action footage in 4.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

[SPOILERS] Speculation for live-action footage in 4.0

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue May 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Just what the title says: We all know that Anno decided to include some live-action content in EOE for portions of the Instrumentality sequence. Seeing as how 4.0 is going to be the End of Rebuild, one wonders if he'll go that route again if Instrumentality occurs.

What kinds of live action content would YOU like to see? Personally, I'd love for Anno to go extremely meta and make a cameo as an adult Shinji.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 pm

I dunno, I hope he doesn't. It didn't really work last time. What's in EoE is fine, but it's part of an aborted sequence which was axed for being a weird digression that stopped things cold. If he can find some way to be innovative, fine, but putting live action in just because EoE had it would be gimmicky.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed May 22, 2013 12:37 am

I hope not.I hated live action footage in EOE.In fact i don't want anything live-action in any anime.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Wed May 22, 2013 3:59 am

I don't think we'll see live-action sequences in Final. But I wouldn't mind it.

Sakura Shiro
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sakura Shiro » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 am

Personally, i feel that really wouldn't be necessary to have in Final. It would just be a very cheap approach to take on Rebuild's last film, especially if they even dare use the exact footage from Eoe.

But meh, what do I know? I'm (not) Anno :shifty: :lol:
Its fortunate; living one more life than the ordinary person. One life, dedicated to the life I live. The other, to escape that one other life through art. When I die, I want my art to live on. -Rose Fellelyn

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:53 am

I'm not sure why Anno would put live-action footage in Shin-- but then again, I wasn't sure why he did it in EoE, either. Is it out of the question? Since he's done it before, I would say no, it isn't. Is it likely, though? I would guess not. Anno's done that particular trick once already; it's time for something new.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:15 am

I guess it was an interesting idea in EoE, but I'm not sure how well it really worked. I suspect Anno wasn't either; after all, he cut a chunk of it, in spite of it already being a comparatively short film.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:34 am

Kinda doubt it. While I loved the live action footage in End of Evangelion & it works in that masterpiece it also does hint at what it really is - Anno tested out becoming a live action filmmaker. No surprise then that he quickly followed that up with his era of live action filmmaking.

Unless Anno wants to return to live action - which seems doubtful since he's built & is the forefront of a whole new animation studio - I'd be genuinely surprised to see live action components return to the Eva universe in Final.

... but then again what does Anno do better than surprising me? :)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 am

Personally, I think that the live action part in EoE was a support to his message toward the otaku community, a mean to get the audience's attention to say "this part is in the real world just like you, what's going to be said here directly concerns you".
And since in NTE the message seems to be different, I don't see the pertinence of a live action scene in Shin Eva, unless maybe Anno want to mindfuck us in a trippy Instrumentality sequence. (which would mean that Instrumentality does happen in Shin Eva)

Unless it's an AU where the CGI encrusted pilots are in Ultraman uniforms and fight the Angels in the typical sentai fashion! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:41 am

Like ElMariachi said, the message in NTE seems to be different, i don't think live action footage is really needed as this is NOT another EoE.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:25 pm

NTE hasn't even re-used the gimmick of brief flickers of random images that would have been fruitful analysis fodder; I doubt we'll see any of the original's quirks, not even odd photos of powerlines and transformers slipped in on the sly.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:12 pm

A big part of EoE was about otakus, and how they (don't) see reality. So he had to show reality. It made sense.
He recently said in an interview 3.0+1.0 is not about otakus, that he doesn't care anymore. The message is apparently something important in current times.
If necessary there will be live action. But I doubt that. Instead of that we will have mo-cap. :D
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:46 pm

There was a point to the live action footage in EoE. If there's a point to it in Rebuild, I'd be fine with it. EoE was partly about harmful escapism, and the real life footage was there to make a point about it.
I finally put something here!

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 am

^^ I want mo-cop to be used for the fight against the MP-Evas, if only so it can rival the one vs swarm fights from Gunbuster and The Matrix Reloaded.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCY3I5yxo[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvlEO_-V-g[/url]

Imagine Asuka and Mari, in the combined Unit 02+08, fighting the MPs in a battle that combines aspects of the above to fights. :D
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:46 am

I actually expect it to happen. The fact is that Anno has made references to his own previous works (Kare Kano in Ha & Nadia in Q). Gunbuster is the last work of his that he hasn't referenced yet. I want to see Asuka & Mari emulate that fight in the OVA.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:46 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I want to see Asuka & Mari emulate that fight in the OVA.
Which one gets to rip their plug-suit open?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:56 am

^Why not both? :wink:
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:31 pm

With Khara deep at work on the Animator Expo I'd place my bets more on anything that if any experimentations in medium were to occur in 3.0+1.0 they would be taken from or done in the style of any of the 30 shorts they're producing.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised really if the last entry in those shorts turns out to be the preview for 3.0 + 1.0. :wink:
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:55 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:I wouldn't be surprised really if the last entry in those shorts turns out to be the preview for 3.0 + 1.0. :wink:

And the hype train begins yet again, only for it to be derailed and destroyed a 14th time.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”