Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:02 am

Nadia was a really fun anime I liked a lot and watched shortly after I saw Eva (or during, I can't remember) though the character of Nadia herself drove me insane.

I have yet to see the movie though, as the place I usual rented things from didn't have it, though I'm thinking of getting it.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:06 pm

Thats good to hear because I just bought Collection 1 today, although I did not see the movie for sale, but then again Best Buy is not the most reliable store for anime.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:18 pm

It looks good and I've heard lots of praises but if the worst violence if someone falls out of a moving object then I'll pass. :D

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:37 pm

If you want Super Mega Ultra Deluxe the second collection comes with the movie included, but just to warn you the movie is not nearly as good as the series, in fact the first quarter of it just scenes from the series.

cain luppus- if your talking about the series you have been greatly misinformed, if your talking about the movie your only a little bit off (there are some shootings)

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:54 pm

Oh hey, I'll have to check that out.

I was afraid ther might be something like that, someone told me it was just the series made into a movie (while I tohught it was something taking place after the evetns in the series and was original) and I guess that's why, maybe he didn't finish or just has a lazy memory.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:26 pm

I just borrowed the first DVD from a friend. It really is a lot of fun to watch. It doesn't really show a lot of Anno's directorial flare, as of the first four episodes. However, I really enjoyed it and want to see the rest.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:04 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:It doesn't really show a lot of Anno's directorial flare, as of the first four episodes.

It shows up more on the next DVD.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:14 pm

Damn. I gotta find someone who owns it, cause I don't have the money to blow on DVDs.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:53 pm

This is completely stupid, but I thought I would point it out anyways. In volume 4 of the manga, the toy machine Asuka is playing in the arcade is full of Nadia figures. The one she loses is King. :)

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:10 pm

We ought to set up a kind of mail-order Napster for anime.

Does such a thing already exist? (Other than renting through the mail, which is just as unreliable as going to Best Buy with twenty dollars and a prayer.)

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:44 pm

Hunter21 wrote:This is completely stupid, but I thought I would point it out anyways. In volume 4 of the manga, the toy machine Asuka is playing in the arcade is full of Nadia figures. The one she loses is King. :)

There's also a Shinji in plug suit plush.

Hexon.Arq wrote:We ought to set up a kind of mail-order Napster for anime.

Does such a thing already exist? (Other than renting through the mail, which is just as unreliable as going to Best Buy with twenty dollars and a prayer.)

Yes, we do have a Napster for anime. Its called mIRC.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:29 pm

Yes, we do have a Napster for anime. Its called mIRC.

I mean something for those of us who don't have million dollar connections.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:06 pm

mIRC does not help people get anime.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:49 pm

Yes, Nadia is a great show. But be aware of one flaw: it was so popular that the network increased the episode count from 26 to 39 after production had started. Anno couldn't figure out how to add that much more plot, so about 2/3 of the way through, we suddenly get about 10 filler episodes in a row. Know as the, "island episodes", they invovle several of the characters getting shipwrecked. The show sort of turns into Gilligan's Island, except not as funny. These episodes border upon the unwatchable, but Anno manages to sprinkle in just enough plot and character development to keep you from just skipping them. Then the plot starts back up almost as if these episodes had never been. (There's one more interruption 3 or 4 episodes later when the show turns into Nadia, the Musical! for one episode.) It's too bad that these episodes mar an otherwise fine show. It just goes to show that more of a good thing isn't always good.

Now if only they had saved this money and thrown it Anno's way on EVA instead.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:27 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Yes, Nadia is a great show. But be aware of one flaw: it was so popular that the network increased the episode count from 26 to 39 after production had started. Anno couldn't figure out how to add that much more plot, so about 2/3 of the way through, we suddenly get about 10 filler episodes in a row. Know as the, "island episodes", they invovle several of the characters getting shipwrecked. The show sort of turns into Gilligan's Island, except not as funny. These episodes border upon the unwatchable, but Anno manages to sprinkle in just enough plot and character development to keep you from just skipping them. Then the plot starts back up almost as if these episodes had never been. (There's one more interruption 3 or 4 episodes later when the show turns into Nadia, the Musical! for one episode.) It's too bad that these episodes mar an otherwise fine show. It just goes to show that more of a good thing isn't always good.

I agree with you for the most part, but the island episodes are kinda funny so I like them more. Nadia the Musical though is by far the worst episode and I skip it every time I watch the series. Some of those song are just painful to hear.

DevilzillA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DevilzillA » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:05 pm

After seeing all of Evangelion I felt a void inside me, and the only thing that ever filled it was Nadia. Nadia is a brilliant show, in my opinion it is BETTER than Evangelion by leaps and bounds. And believe me, there aren't a whole lot of things I like more than Eva.

Do NOT dismiss this show as some kind of friendly non-violent mess. Though it starts off as something of a light-hearted adventure, it quickly starts to get more and more like Evangelion as time passes. This series is based on the works of Jules Verne, chiefly 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The Nautilus is constantly getting into submarine battles with people who call themselves Neo-Atlanteans. Kind of like nazis with unearthed alien technology. And yeah, the end pays off big time with a mid-air battle between the N-Nautilus and a gigantic UFO over Victorian Era Paris.

The show has nudity, blood, lasers obliterating cities, people getting shot, women getting smacked, and darn near everything you can possibly expect from an anime. If you love Jules Verne or Evangelion this is a definite must buy. And it's rather cheap, seeing as how ADV's two collections can be purchased for 30 dollars each from DeepDiscountDVD.com with no shipping fee.

By the way, there are a friggin' ton of religious references as well, much like in Eva. Crosses and all. Keep an eye out for the giant Adam, too! The motion picture is completely worthless, however, and Anno took no part in its creation. It comes packed in the second collection, but do yourself a favor and throw it away upon opening.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:24 pm

DevilzillA wrote:After seeing all of Evangelion I felt a void inside me, and the only thing that ever filled it was Nadia. Nadia is a brilliant show, in my opinion it is BETTER than Evangelion by leaps and bounds. And believe me, there aren't a whole lot of things I like more than Eva.

Do NOT dismiss this show as some kind of friendly non-violent mess. Though it starts off as something of a light-hearted adventure, it quickly starts to get more and more like Evangelion as time passes. This series is based on the works of Jules Verne, chiefly 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The Nautilus is constantly getting into submarine battles with people who call themselves Neo-Atlanteans. Kind of like nazis with unearthed alien technology. And yeah, the end pays off big time with a mid-air battle between the N-Nautilus and a gigantic UFO over Victorian Era Paris.

The show has nudity, blood, lasers obliterating cities, people getting shot, women getting smacked, and darn near everything you can possibly expect from an anime. If you love Jules Verne or Evangelion this is a definite must buy. And it's rather cheap, seeing as how ADV's two collections can be purchased for 30 dollars each from DeepDiscountDVD.com with no shipping fee.

By the way, there are a friggin' ton of religious references as well, much like in Eva. Crosses and all. Keep an eye out for the giant Adam, too! The motion picture is completely worthless, however, and Anno took no part in its creation. It comes packed in the second collection, but do yourself a favor and throw it away upon opening.

Nice Synopsis, although I still like Eva more. And I totally agree with you on the movie, I saw it once and I will never see it again.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:03 pm

I thought it was so-so. I saw it a while back!
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:54 pm

DevilzillA wrote:The show has nudity, blood, lasers obliterating cities, people getting shot, women getting smacked, and darn near everything you can possibly expect from an anime.

[sarcasm]Wow, everything that made Evangelion great, times 3![/sarcasm]
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

DevilzillA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DevilzillA » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:45 pm

Your sarcasm has failed to make you sound intelligent. I understand what made Evangelion great -- the characters. Nadia just has better ones.

I was obviously just making a point in regards to the fact that Nadia is not some bloodless family friendly show. Which, I admit, is what I felt it would be after seeing the first DVD's cover. It is not some toned down Evangelion -- it just has characters that aren't all a bunch of pathetic losers.

I'm just really sick of Eva fanboys who praise Anno whenever they get a chance but haven't even seen any of his other stuff. It's disgusting.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”