Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 am

I notice that for the Asuka's Left Eye post the quote from Ritsuko is:

All physiological traces of contamination have disappeared

Although in the English subs it's:

The cellular corrosion has dissipated

Is the former the correct translation?

Also, is it OK to refer to the green Evas from the preview as MP Evas? I want to create a page for "Mass Production Evangelions (Rebuild)" from the red link in the Evangelions category, but I'm not sure how to actually adress them in the article since we haven't got their proper designation yet.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Is the former the correct translation?

Even the film festival subs by khara's translator Dan Kanemitsu say, "Physiologically, all traces
of corruption are gone, but there is the chance her mind was infiltrated." No idea where "cellular corrosion" came from.

Also, is it OK to refer to the green Evas from the preview as MP Evas?

It's a tentative assignment, but the best we have for now. Just mention in the article that it's tentative, and we're good to go.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 15, 2013 6:57 pm

I must applaud this so far, it looks sufficiently "neutral", detailed, and adresses just the most obvious youtube-comment kind of question.

It's cool how you have already dissected the visuals of the impact landscape, all the details etc. Just makes me notice once again what a freakin huge information density this movie has.

...Then again, I find it sad that it toke Anno going all mindrape-ey on us to get people to do serious interpretation work on Rebuild.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 pm

If even Kendrix thinks this is "neutral", I guess the FAQ is doing a pretty good job! :tongue:

It still needs help, though! I suspect there are some very obvious questions that I've forgotten to add, by virtue of taking the answers for granted by now. Some of the questions have pretty lame answers, or no answers at all. And lastly, sources for the speculation need to be tracked down. I've started the process, but it would be much easier with multiple memories hard at work.

The analysis page on Third Impact hasn't gotten very far. I mean, I started typing out things for the "forming conclusions" section, but everything is such an information-dense mess that my brain easily got tied into knots. Some input on how to approach the matter would be much appreciated.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 pm

I really like what you've done in regards to the whereabouts of Rei II (and her soul placement), as it seems I wasn't the only who suspected she may not even be in Unit-01 or at least don't necessarily take Fuyutsuki's (or Ritsuko's) words at face value. Very considerate of other POV and opinions and you've out done yourself! I especially love the explanation of Misato's cold demeanor to Shinji, clarification that she did NOT necessarily endorse his actions in 2.22, and that it seems to look at things from her POV and not petulant, infantile, widdle Shinji and his hurt feelings.

My only criticism, and this is just really at pet peeve of mine in regards to Wiki related things, is the multiple "Source needed" tags, they just really scream "LOL SAUCE PLZ". In all, good job.

^_^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat May 18, 2013 7:32 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Very considerate of other POV and opinions and you've out done yourself!

I did try to include alternate POVs when I felt I understood the other side and could represent it properly/concisely. If there are omissions, it's generally because I didn't "internalize" a particular argument, and nobody else bothered to put it there in my stead.

My only criticism, and this is just really at pet peeve of mine in regards to Wiki related things, is the multiple "Source needed" tags, they just really scream "LOL SAUCE PLZ".

Those are places where posts proposing the speculations need to be hunted down (to show that things weren't spontaneously made up for the FAQ). It's one of the things I asked for help doing. :wink:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed May 22, 2013 5:23 am

Re: How did Shinji learn piano so fast?

Should probably be noted that the scene is obviously an abstraction. Shinji couldn't be playing 'Quatre Mains' near perfeclty in the first session as the movie shows. The implication or impression is of a passing of time; that this is the end result of days, possibly even weeks, of practise - Hence the last cut with Shinji mimicking the keys in his room; he knows the piece almost by heart now.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 am

Blue Monday: Shinji's first sit-down at the piano is not a montage. It happens in real time, and as the FAQ says, he goes "from poking at keys with one finger to being able to effectively duet with Kaworu."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 22, 2013 10:00 am

Doesn't mean it's not still an abstraction of the learning process; that's how I see it (as I've said before).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Charsi » Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm

re: Moon red grid. I just noticed the same grid of red crosses appears in Mari's entry plug when she inverts the controls of Eva-02. Though that's probably just a co-incidence.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:13 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:re: Moon red grid. I just noticed the same grid of red crosses appears in Mari's entry plug when she inverts the controls of Eva-02. Though that's probably just a co-incidence.

Seeing as corss-shaped grids aren't uncommon in Q (the Code 4C pillars of light form a grid, and there is a grid-shaped pattern on Lilith's skin) it's probably a coincidence.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 pm

I think the Mari nickname section should be amended to include the previous nicknames Asuka gave to Shinji and Rei in 2.0 since basically all 3 nicknames imply they didn't get to be Eva pilots based on merit (unlike super awesome pilot Shikinami).

This will need some proper editing before being added to the wiki since I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't really know the best format to present this, but maybe a table might work? I'm also mostly useless at wiki code so someone will probably be able to come up with something better and add all the references.

[code:1]
{| border="1"
|+
|-
|'''Pilot'''
|'''Nickname'''
(In all cases the script and subtitles use katakana)
|'''Translation'''
|'''Explanation'''

|-
|Shinji
|ナナヒカリ
nanahikari
|
|Comes from "oya no nanahikari" (親の七光り) an expression used for someone who gets ahead based on a parent's stature or hard work, implying Shinji only gets to be a pilot because of his father's position as the head of Nerv.

|-
|Rei
|エコヒイキ
ekohiiki
|
|From "ekohiiki" (依估贔屓), meaning favoritism. Implying favoritism.

|-
|Mari
|コネメガネ
konemegane
|
|This means something like "glasses-wearing person with connections", and is a pun on hone megane ("horn-rimmed glasses"). The implication is that Mari got to be an Eva pilot not because of ''what'' she knows, but because of ''who'' she knows.

|}
[/code:1]

nanahikari note stolen from http://forum.evageeks.org/post/369855/20-Translation-Thread/#369855
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I have one doubt...This movie was "remade" all over again in the middle of the production or just is speculation ?!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm

View Original Postiihieiii wrote:I have one doubt...This movie was "remade" all over again in the middle of the production or just is speculation ?!

Pure speculation at this point but we won't get a proper answer until the CRC is out.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Did we ever get an answer on why 3.0 was filmed in Cinemascope?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:35 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Did we ever get an answer on why 3.0 was filmed in Cinemascope?

I don't think Anno haas ever mentioned why yet. I just know that it give the events a real sense of scale and allows for more visual distance between the characters, which falls in line with how Shinji feels in most of the movie: distant.

...at least, that's why most movies do that. But as far as Anno is concerned, it could be just another Godzilla reference. (Most of that stuff was shot in 2.35:1.)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:54 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:But as far as Anno is concerned, it could be just another Godzilla reference. (Most of that stuff was shot in 2.35:1.)

Huh, I never knew that. Knowing Anno, it probably was another nod to his tokusatsu roots, at least in part.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:...at least, that's why most movies do that. But as far as Anno is concerned, it could be just another Godzilla reference. (Most of that stuff was shot in 2.35:1.)

Was 3.33 sho in 2.35:1 or in 2.39:1, the current norm for the Cinemascope process?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Huh, I never knew that. Knowing Anno, it probably was another nod to his tokusatsu roots, at least in part.

Well he seems to have deliberately dug up the old and grainy Toei logo instead of using the modern version.
SPOILER: Show

3.33 is closer to 2.35:1 than to 2:39
1920:816 = 2.3529~

Some rips seem to overcrop it just slightly down to 814.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Was 3.33 sho in 2.35:1 or in 2.39:1, the current norm for the Cinemascope process?

2.35:1, as it's the cinemascope commonly used in Asian films. Other films outside of Asia have been known to have a wider image up to 2.40:1, though. (Such as the last two Sam Raimi Spiderman films.)

Return to “Old Stickies”