Silhouette in RoE 2.22

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
K271
Embryo

Silhouette in RoE 2.22

•      
  •      

Postby K271 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 am

Hi, I took this shot of Evangelion 2.22 (the scene after Shinji is taken out of the shelter by Mari and Eva-02) and wanted to share some thoughts about it:

Well I just don't know what it is :)

I know I'm a bit late for 2.22 discussion with 3.33 flying freely through the web, but after some years of Eva abstention I recently got obsessed again by it (trying hard to catch up :)).

So if this is already discussed in another topic(s) I apologize.
[K]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Silhouette in RoE 2.22

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 am

View Original PostK271 wrote:So if this is already discussed in another topic(s) I apologize.
It has, but no problem. Can't lay my finger on the relevant thread just ATM.

But yes, there were civilian casualties.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

K271
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby K271 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 am

Thank you Mr!
[K]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 am

...And I did not notice that. That sequence just got exponentially creepier.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 am

NaveryW noticed it way back here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/368988/Interesting-little-details-in-2XX/#368988
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 am

There are more dead people in that scene. It´s the only time an angel kills people, right?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue May 07, 2013 2:24 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:There are more dead people in that scene. It´s the only time an angel kills people, right?

It's the only time when we can actually see the consequences with our own eyes. I'm sure that plenty of people were killed during Ramiel's beam attack in 1.0.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:01 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It's the only time when we can actually see the consequences with our own eyes. I'm sure that plenty of people were killed during Ramiel's beam attack in 1.0.

I prefer to think that nobody dies. I understand that Shinji is scared, but he calls Misato and the others egoists. Why would he say that if there are people that can die? And it seems that nobody cares. I know this isn´t too important, but these things bother me. I always prefer to think of the angels as not that dangerous, because Tokyo-3 is super-safe. And Zeruel is special.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I prefer to think that nobody dies. I understand that Shinji is scared, but he calls Misato and the others egoists. Why would he say that if there are people that can die? And it seems that nobody cares. I know this isn´t too important, but these things bother me. I always prefer to think of the angels as not that dangerous, because Tokyo-3 is super-safe. And Zeruel is special.

You might be the only person on earth who can reasonably convince themselves that there isn't collateral damage. Considering the circumstances the idea that there aren't any civilian casualties seems laughable. New Tokyo-3 is fortified and so I imagine there aren't a LOT of deaths but the idea that no one could die from the kind of destruction the Angels (and Evas) wreak on the city doesn't really make any sense.

JimJam!
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JimJam! » Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Remember the introduction of Ramiel? The scene where Unit 01 is being owned, and Misato paused for a moment to decide through things. We've seen explosions on something holding up an entire platform of the EVA, then the whole platform collapses and goes down.

I don't know if anyone had already proven or explained the whole scene, but I believed that entire platform consisted of structures where civilians are being held, though I'm not so sure where people are being evacuated when an angel attacks. The only thing I know is that the buildings and structures are transferred upside down. So there goes my theory that at the start of the show civilians had been dying already assuming that the buildings collapsing inside GeoFront everytime an angel attack houses the evacuees.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

I often figure everyone takes shelter inside the Geofront, like in the kind of Geofront ground-level shelter as where Shinji hides in Ha (and episode 19 in the original). It's a bit of a mystery as to how they get down there, but it was just as mysterious in the original, such as how the kids managed to get all the way down to the Eva cages without mechanical assistance in episode 11.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

K271
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby K271 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 am

About the shelter placing thing, this is what I think:

When Kensuke and Touji get to the surface to watch the battle against Shamshel they do it in just minutes, so it appears to me that they are sheltered in the upside down buildings (Closer to the surface).

When Shinji is sheltered in the battle against Zeruel he is completly alone, and obviously near the ground (And near Nerv HQ).

Lets take into account that Eva-01's awakening was part of Gendo's plans and this needed the presence of Shinji.

Misato tells Shinji when he is about to leave that his actions will be monitored and restringed.

So my conclusion is that Shinji position was for convenience, so normal people is normally sheltered in the upside down buildings and there are casualties when we clearly see this structures being damaged or destroyed by Angels.

Edit: This is aplied only to Rebuild of course.
[K]

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”