4.0 Speculation: Who will die?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

[SPOILERS]4.0 Speculation: Who will die?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Spec thread for who we think is gonna die in FINAL.

Personally, I think the death list might include:

Gendo
Misato
Kensuke (if he's even alive)
Mari (in a sacrificial death scene that will give her the importance she desperately needs)
and a couple of the Bridge Bunnies.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Everyone, except Aoba, who, as EoE taught us, always has a giant box of firearms under his workstation just in case.

At the end of the film, he will be shirtless, bloodied, and holding up for all to see the heads of his enemies, screaming in primal fury, and reveling in the lamentations of their women and children.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 pm

EVANGELION DEATH POOL 4.0 - PUT EVERYTHING ON BLACK

Over-unders

Death pool
My Humanity 1-1
Rei 1-1 (this bet is independent of "My Humanity") (this bet is for Rei dying at any point during the movie, bet is won even if she dies and comes back to life)
Random new guys 1-1
Gendo 1-1
Misato 1-1
Mari 1-1
Asuka 1-1
Ritsuko 1-1
Bridge bunnies 1-1
Shinji 50-1 (tang end doesn't count)
Hideaki Anno's personal wealth 100000-1
This thread 1-1

Post-release forums posting quality
Terrible 1-1
Mediocre 1-1
Good 10-1
Great 1000-1
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Everyone, except Aoba, who, as EoE taught us, always has a giant box of firearms under his workstation just in case.

You mean, you don't?

Asuka is the final angel, and will die.

Then Mari will be surrounded by enemies and about to lose hope when Asuka appears to her as a blazing valkyrie and ask if she wants to live forever, giving her the courage to persevere and win.

Shinji is going to die, at least in a metaphysical sense when he erases himself and gives his past self another chance to correct his mistakes.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 pm

everyone except but Shinji, Asuka and Mari, they'll become giant naked beings and they'll have an awesome space threesome.
It's too late to pry away.

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 pm

Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo, Mari and Rei (and various secondary characters ofc) will probably all die one way or another...

As for Asuka, i have the feeling she will survive the rebuild, i just don't see her dying as likely considering what she's survived up until this point.

Shinji is going to die, at least in a metaphysical sense when he erases himself and gives his past self another chance to correct his mistakes.

I doubt this will ever happen. Remember what Eva is about...
Certainly not running away or redoing things. Failing to "redo" in 3.0 should be an indication of where the movies are going. Going forward no matter what and possibly rebuilding from scratch a new world. This is closer to the message associated with Evangelion. (Ofc it's impossible to say for sure atm)

Anyway, i guess it's still possible for Shinji to die but, if he does, it won't be in a metaphysical way, cause that would be an easy way out and Anno won't allow him to just easily abandon the world he's nearly destroyed (twice), i'm pretty sure.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 am

At this point I hope they just kill everyone and reboot with an Ideon ending.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:At this point I hope they just kill everyone and reboot with an Ideon ending.

Seconded.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 am

I saw NemZ's name beside this topic and clicked the topic thinking "I bet NemZ is going to say he hopes everyone dies".

:lol:

My speculation is actually quite opposite. I think everyone is going to live. I think the world will be reborn and there will be an actual happy end.

The funny part is that I'm not sure I'll like it as much that way. I hated Bard's Nephilim, after all. Cool guy though. Just sayin'.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:My speculation is actually quite opposite. I think everyone is going to live. I think the world will be reborn and there will be an actual happy end.

This isn't really the opposite, in an Ideon ending everyone is reborn after getting killed, the Fate of Destruction is the Joy of Rebirth, after all Anno already abundantly copied from Tomino before.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu May 02, 2013 1:14 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:My speculation is actually quite opposite. I think everyone is going to live. I think the world will be reborn and there will be an actual happy end.

We're talking about Anno.

We're talking about Evangelion.

It's the finale......

If no characters have a death scene in this movie, that will be the most surprising move Anno will pull in his life.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:If no characters have a death scene in this movie, that will be the most surprising move Anno will pull in his life.

Eeexactlyyy!

It's supposed to be DIFFERENT, RIGHT? :lol:
View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:This isn't really the opposite, in an Ideon ending everyone is reborn after getting killed, the Fate of Destruction is the Joy of Rebirth, after all Anno already abundantly copied from Tomino before.

Oh, really? I thought they fused into a single collective being.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [SPOILERS]4.0 Speculation: Who will die?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 02, 2013 1:29 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Mari (in a sacrificial death scene that will give her the importance she desperately needs)
I remember when we were waiting for Ha and the consensus seemed to be that Mari would show up for one fight scene and be killed, leaving the real professionals to deal with whatever. Outside a full-on-Tomino ending, at current I expect her to be amongst the last left standing.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Oh, really? I thought they fused into a single collective being.

It was implied that they restarted life on another planet in the ending.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:46 am

I think that the people that die in Final will be : Misato, Gendo, Mari, Asuka and Ritsuko, i don't see Rei and Shinji dying to be honest
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu May 02, 2013 1:51 am

Gendo and Fuytsuki probably.Maybe Mari and Rei too.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 am

I don't see Mari dying myself. She seems to have some meta-knowledge of what's going on, and perhaps, in contrast to Gendou's coldness towards Shinji, she represents a sympathetic view of him from the part of the world that Gendou represents. Thus it would be appropriate for her to live while Gendou dies.

Of course, both Misato and Asuka have shown kindness to Shinji as well (even in Q, if not so obviously - I mean, Misato by not activating the DSS choker first time, and Asuka by rescuing the limp rag at the end). I guess it's too simplistic to say: nice to Shinji = live, nasty to Shinji = die; so I expect the same as before, with Misato dying, sacrificing herself to save him, but Asuka being there at the end - because after all we all need someone to call us stupid, don't we?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 am

You make a compelling point, pwhodges -- about the possibility of things going as they did before.

A question I keep asking myself as I think about how Final will go is: Will NME ultimately wind up fundamentally similar to or different from its predecessor?

Because you see, it has been both in maddening ways thus far. It's been "different", obviously, especially with Q's radical change of setting, but as far as the story being told it's been the same fare so far. Of all the spoilers that I saw before I decided to go cold turkey until the BD release, the one I considered least likely ("Kaworu sacrifices himself to prevent Fourth Impact") or at least cared about the least turned out to be the only one of that particular batch that was correct. And my main reason for discarding it was "No way, too predictable, that's been done before, isn't Rebuild supposed to be new?" And then it happened anyway, pretty much the entire story of episodes 23 and 24 step-for-step.

I noticed that an ending where humanity is restored at the end would satisfy that same maddening union of similarity and dissimilarity: It would be similar to the original if you interpret the ending of the original as being Everybody Lives (again), and it would be dissimilar to the original if you interpret the ending of the original as being Everybody Dies, but even if you don't, it would also be dissimilar to the original in that (hopefully) it would actually be clear this time that Everybody Lives.

So, there's some of my reasoning, at least.

I mean, how far afield has Anno really gone? As far as the central plot goes (i.e. Shinji's), not very. The changes in circumstances have done a lot to alter its meaning, sure, but so far things have largely been "surface similar" and so I think there's ample reason to think that the ending will follow suit.
System Administrator

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Thu May 02, 2013 2:35 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I would find an ending where humanity is restored at the end to be satisfying in this regard, because it satisfies that same maddening union of similarity and dissimilarity: It would be similar to the original if you interpret the ending of the original as being Everybody Lives (again), and it would be dissimilar to the original if you interpret the ending of the original as being Everybody Dies, but even if you don't, it would also be dissimilar to the original in that (hopefully) it would actually be clear this time that Everybody Lives.

Tbh the ending of the original is quite clear... Everyone is given a choice between existing and not existing. So it's not "everybody lives" or "everybody dies", but everyone is allowed to choose for him/herself.

Still, i do expect a more straightforward ending.

Back on topic
Of course, both Misato and Asuka have shown kindness to Shinji as well (even in Q, if not so obviously - I mean, Misato by not activating the DSS choker first time, and Asuka by rescuing the limp rag at the end). I guess it's too simplistic to say: nice to Shinji = live, nasty to Shinji = die; so I expect the same as before, with Misato dying, sacrificing herself to save him, but Asuka being there at the end - because after all we all need someone to call us stupid, don't we?

I have a hard time thinking of someone who's been truly nasty to Shinji...
Asuka actually rescues him twice, Mari encourages him, Misato may be cold but she shows she still cares about him a bit; nobody openly attacks Shinji.
Anyway, for some reason Asuka's VA is apparently optimistic about the future of her character (from the interviews). I guess i've been influenced by that in my opinion about her fate.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 am

View Original PostAlphaGamma wrote:Tbh the ending of the original is quite clear... Everyone is given a choice between existing and not existing. So it's not "everybody lives" or "everybody dies", but everyone is allowed to choose for him/herself.

:lol: For some reason my brain interprets that in the same vein as "everyone lives". Probably because I like to believe that (nearly) all the main cast would choose to live again.
Anyway, for some reason Asuka's VA is apparently optimistic about the future of her character (from the interviews). I guess i've been influenced by that in my opinion about her fate.

Whoa! Where'd you hear about this?
System Administrator

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”