The Photograph

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

[SPOILERS] The Photograph

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Continued from here:

View Original PostLealahLupin3 wrote:Here is the photo, if anyone is interested.
SPOILER: Show

[URL=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/LealahLupinIII/media/FuyusPhotocloseup.png.html]Image[/URL]

There's a close up. Here's another view of it.

[URL=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/LealahLupinIII/media/FuyusPhoto.png.html]Image[/URL]
[/spoiler]

Currently under speculation is the identity of the woman wearing glasses in this photo. Personally, I'd like to know the location of this photo. Based on some of the writings behind Yui, I think it's some sort of lab.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Yui is smokin' hot. That is all I have to contribute to this conversation. :tongue:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm

My instinctive brain saw that during my watching of the movie and said "Asuka?" and then my rational brain caught up and changed it to "Kyoko." or whatever Asuka's mother is named in this continuity.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Asuka's mother comes to my mind. The man in the back looks foreign, very well could be her husband.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Maybe it's the odd lighting or just a general case of sameface, but she reminds me of both Asuka and Mari.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:33 pm

That's the current problem I've seen; it's a debate over whether this is Mari's mother or Kyoko. She could be either one, really.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Or maybe there's a huge twist and
she's both. But you would think one of the girls would mention having a sister

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Or maybe there's a huge twist and
she's both. But you would think one of the girls would mention having a sister

Maybe they don't know they're sisters?

Also, why put wild speculation in spoiler tags? :lol:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:38 pm

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:Maybe they don't know they're sisters?

Also, why put wild speculation in spoiler tags? :lol:

Too much time spent on 4chan. That's all I got :lol:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Where do you guys think that this picture was taken? Obviously around 01'/02', but where?

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:42 pm

Does anybody have a 1080p lossless screencap of the text on the back? I want to see if anybody can make it out (aka if I can give it a try xD )

I imagine it's probably a photo that Yui sent to Fuyutsuki informing him of having had a baby with a note on the back inviting him to a shower or something. I'onno.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Kyoto University, maybe?

LordEvan88
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordEvan88 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 pm

I get the impression of a classroom by the wide windows and the whiteboard, and considering Fuyutsuki was her professor (Albiet pre-2nd impact) it makes sense.

While the woman's hairstyle is Asuka-y, the glasses and the pink stripes on her shirt seem to point to Mari, which works with the hints of her backstory.
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 pm

View Original PostYokai wrote:Does anybody have a 1080p lossless screencap of the text on the back? I want to see if anybody can make it out (aka if I can give it a try xD )

Even with the HD, it's too blurry. I've got nothing.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm

View Original PostYokai wrote:Does anybody have a 1080p lossless screencap of the text on the back? I want to see if anybody can make it out (aka if I can give it a try xD )

I imagine it's probably a photo that Yui sent to Fuyutsuki informing him of having had a baby with a note on the back inviting him to a shower or something. I'onno.

I remember the letters being blurry due to DoF in that scene. I don't think any HD screencap will be able to make it readable.

libs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby libs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 pm

The glasses are the same as the one Mari uses in the previous movie as well (in Q she's using a slightly different model). Besides that, there's some organic chemistry stuff going on in the background.

LealahLupin3
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LealahLupin3 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I can post the text on the back if you reeeeeeaaaaally want, but it's just way too blurry. I don't think a higher resolution will help much either, to tell you the truth, it was just drawn out of focus because we're supposed to be focusing on Shinji's face.

The men in the photo puzzle me. I assumed the guy in the very back would be attached to the unknown woman (at the time I figured he was Asuka's father) but the man with his back to the camera doesn't appear to be Gendo or Fuyutsuki. Or could he be Gendo? The man with his back to us and Shinji appear to be the only people in the photo who aren't smiling; maybe that's supposed to be a connection? Or maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there. -o-;
Your Highness, we beseech you on this day in Philadelphia to bite me if you please.-Sam, West Wing

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 pm

When discussing mysteries in photographs, there is always one crucial piece of information that is never visible in the picture, but nearly always worth discussing.

Who do you think took the picture?

My guess is that it was Fuyutsuki, given the classroom-like setting, plus the fact that he owns it and has kept it all this time. Another little clue is that the picture appears to be taken by someone who is taller than the women in the picture (suggesting a male photographer). And finally, the photographer was standing far enough away that other people can be seen wandering in between the photographer and Yui (i.e. the guy on the left who appears to be totally disinterested in the little scene), suggesting that the photographer is not intimate enough with Yui to lean in for a close-up. It all suggests "distant admirer" to me.
Oh, and Gendo's absence can be easily explained by the theory that he was not in Fuyutsuki's class. (He was not in NGE, at least.)

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 pm

the man in foreground is Fuyutsuki, lookat the hair on his ears its the same, the guy on the background looks to me reminscent of gendo or Kaji,more like gendo i think Kaji cheeks are thiner
ANATA BAKA !?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:I remember the letters being blurry due to DoF in that scene. I don't think any HD screencap will be able to make it readable.

Yep. I'm pretty sure it's the blurriest the DoF effect gets in the whole movie, so it's a deliberate taunt.

Here's the lossless cap straight from BD

You're gonna need CSI level of computer magic to get anything out of it.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”