Glyphs

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 pm

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all of the glyph sequences we see in the movies were made by encoding different pieces of music using that chart. I just can't see Anno doing something like this randomly....

EDIT: So I decided to go through the part with the DSS Choker glyphs and record the corresponding letters for myself. Here's what I got, in order:

CKLNFUYTSRJVIEOMDBAXHZGWQFTYSJUR

I think it's interesting to note that the seven repeated letters appear together both inside the "code" and at the end:

Any amateur cryptographers out there who can give us some insight? :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Wed May 08, 2013 4:01 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all of the glyph sequences we see in the movies were made by encoding different pieces of music using that chart. I just can't see Anno doing something like this randomly....

EDIT: So I decided to go through the part with the DSS Choker glyphs and record the corresponding letters for myself. Here's what I got, in order:

I think it's interesting to note that the seven repeated letters appear together both inside the "code" and at the end:

Any amateur cryptographers out there who can give us some insight? :lol:

Might be a silly thought, but since it's been confirmed they could be both read as music and english, perhaps there's one more reading?

The 5 down format of the chart leads me to believe there's a potential Japanese conversion. If we assume the first (or in the case of Japanese, last) 3 down are Wa Wo N, then perhaps the following are Japanese hiragana characters with addition to voiced characters. Like so:

[code:1]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ETC
わ ら や ま ぱ ば は な だ た ETC
を り * み ぴ び ひ に ぢ ち ETC
ん る ゆ む ぷ ぶ ふ ぬ づ つ ETC
  れ * め ぺ べ へ ね で てETC
  ろ よ も ぽ ぼ ほ の ど と ETC
[/code:1]

If you keep following that path, though, you only get 15 out of 18. That plus the missing Ye and Yi characters, but perhaps there's some possibility still. Anno is well known for using old / obscure characters in Japanese, so perhaps Yi and Ye were reintroduced into this new conversion system? Or the entirety of wa wi wu we wo, instead of just wa and wo. I'm pretty sure we is used in the logo, so perhaps there's some potential. I'd have to see what the Japanese fans are coming up with.

edit: Also, it would be amazing if the forums had a Anno-rune set of emoticons. xD

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:For info, the famous sound that plays when Shinji is losing it badly in that corridor that the reddit thread is refeiring to :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pe8rrpd0eU

EDIT : acording to some comments on the YT link, this song is based on the song "Borderline Case" from NGE... which is a song that plays when we are deep into Asuka's infamous Mind Rape scene...
Personally I don't find any similarity, but you can try :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxT0m4LfXg

Still, if it's true... then stop it Anno... please just fucking stop it. :bigeyes:

Oh, I recognized that when I first heard the soundtrack. (It was before I saw the movie.) I was like "YES! This tune again! Wait... NO! Not this tune again!!!"

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 09, 2013 6:29 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Oh, I recognized that when I first heard the soundtrack. (It was before I saw the movie.) I was like "YES! This tune again! Wait... NO! Not this tune again!!!"

And I still can't see the similarities... I alway had poor musical ears... :|
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Thu May 09, 2013 11:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And I still can't see the similarities... I alway had poor musical ears... :|

The melody is a bit faint in the borderline case version. It's easily compared to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEXKnuJRA0

Gap of Dream - End of Evangelion.

It's the same melody that the synth-voices play in the background of borderline case. It's generally a melody reserved for the mind / instrumentality scenes IIRC, which is fitting with it's use in Q.

edit: Also, can we call this written language Evangelian? -o-;

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 pm

In Borderline Case, skip to 1:00 or so and listen to the melody, it's the droning voice.

In the Eva 3.0, listen for the single piano key strokes that are played under the crazy, schizo melody. It's the same progression.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Just wrote a little Python script using the winsound module that can play the tune using Windows System beeps! :lol: Well, most of it anyway. Unfortunately the beeps can't go below 37 Hz, and the lowest key on the piano hits 27.5.

...That was 30 minutes well-spent.

EDIT: If any of you manage to get a sequence of numbers out of the various glyph images we've seen, feel free to send them to me and I'll let you know if they make some sort of recognizable tune when decoded. By "numbers", I mean those corresponding to piano keys.

EDIT: Guys, I just plugged in the numbers corresponding to the four glyphs on the Neo-Nerv logo, and if I'm hearing correctly it sounds like they make the four note harmony you hear in the background when Eva-13 starts going down the main shaft.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Dessimat0r went on the internet and found this: http://saisai.main.jp/eva/
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=6546710
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Dessimat0r went on the internet and found this: http://saisai.main.jp/eva/
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=6546710

Cool! Higher-res scans will definitely come in handy!
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 23, 2013 5:41 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:EDIT: Guys, I just plugged in the numbers corresponding to the four glyphs on the Neo-Nerv logo, and if I'm hearing correctly it sounds like they make the four note harmony you hear in the background when Eva-13 starts going down the main shaft.

Can you post the melody?
That would mean that the glyph system isn't a written langage, but an auditive one, a new universal way of communication based on music instead of words?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Can you post the melody?
That would mean that the glyph system isn't a written langage, but an auditive one, a new universal way of communication based on music instead of words?

I have no experience with Soundcloud or anything like that. The best I can do is say that the tune is the four violin notes repeated in the background around and after 1:04:35 in the movie. The repeated sequence of "numbers" is 86,85,87,82.

...Actually, upon listening to both of them again they don't sound very similar.... I need a second opinion.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Can you post the melody?

I thought the glyph system corresponded to the 88 keys on a piano...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:

Given Anno's history with biological sort of allusions, all the spines, words like "Central Dogma",

I wouldn't be too surprised if that was an one-letter-code amino acid sequence for some neuro-peptide thing.

...or maybe just another easter egg like the history of studio gainax in EoE XD

EDIT: It isn't. Just checked in a mayor databse. Then again, it should have been obvious with Os and Us in this *scratches head*
Okay, one more theory scratched.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:44 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:...Actually, upon listening to both of them again they don't sound very similar.... I need a second opinion.

Personally, I think that they sound rather similar. That's just my opinion, though.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 am

You can now wipe yourself safely with angel sealing hex glyph towel

http://www.evastore.jp/pc/article/E6000111.html

There seem to be 120 of them on there. Who wants to play spot the doubles?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:33 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You can now wipe yourself safely with angel sealing hex glyph towel.

Hell, I'd buy it. I'd probably spend more time looking at it than using it as a towel, though. ;)

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You can now wipe yourself safely with angel sealing hex glyph towel
Do you guys thinks that it'd at least work to contain a bitchy girlfriend if you wrap her with it?

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:Do you guys thinks that it'd at least work to contain a bitchy girlfriend if you wrap her with it?

Only if she has an angel sealing eye patch to go with it.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 pm

I demand fanart of Asuka and nothing but this towel.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:53 pm

We're veering offtopic. To bring everyone back on to the glyps per se, I'd like to take the opportunity to object to the musical interpretation.

The difficulty is, when you string together any random sequence of notes, they tend to sound like, well, any other random sequence of notes. Tone deaf as I am, I tend to think that this OEIS sequence sounds as much like Shinji's piano tune as the supposed Hex glyph version.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”