Glyphs

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Wed May 01, 2013 5:54 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:You seem to be implying that we were ever not. ;)

I would imply that I thought he put away the whip, but he came back with chains!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 6:01 pm

You know, when I made that glyph summary pic to troll 4chan I didn't expect to be backtrolled by Anno.

What makes it hurt more is I tried to be funny with his photos and quote at the bottom. The quote turned out to be true. :fuyu_facepalm:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 pm

[–]aloysius_flyte
perhaps the 88 glyphs correspond to the 88 keys of a piano.

guess that explains that weird trailer with nothing but the CG piano
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

notalive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby notalive » Wed May 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Maybe if we were to transcribe the Shinji/Kaworu duet into these glyphs, we would find a hidden message :lol:
"Your fanwank is so bad, it gave me Third Impact" - anon
Avatar: OMG! Everything is going according to the scenario!

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm

View Original Postnotalive wrote:Maybe if we were to transcribe the Shinji/Kaworu duet into these glyphs, we would find a hidden message :lol:

Wait...that's not a half bad idea!!! Do we have any one on the forum that could possibly accomplish this

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 01, 2013 6:12 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You know, when I made that glyph summary pic to troll 4chan I didn't expect to be backtrolled by Anno.

What makes it hurt more is I tried to be funny with his photos and quote at the bottom. The quote turned out to be true. :fuyu_facepalm:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You did what now?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 01, 2013 6:18 pm

View Original Postlastcody wrote:Wait...that's not a half bad idea!!! Do we have any one on the forum that could possibly accomplish this

Perhaps over the summer, assuming that nobody else does it first.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Wed May 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Anno can be the God Emperor of the Trolls, but he is nonetheless a Genius. Doubtless. It's a shame that his genius is used for evil and trolling. :facepalm:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking about. You did what now?

See OP pic of the reddit thread.

I made that thinking I'd troll 4chan implying there's meaning behind the glyphs.
Even asked Reichu for better CRC comment translation to try and seem legit.

See quote included at the very bottom.
Now take that quote in the context of what has actually been discovered about the glyphs.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

For info, the famous sound that plays when Shinji is losing it badly in that corridor that the reddit thread is refeiring to :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pe8rrpd0eU

EDIT : acording to some comments on the YT link, this song is based on the song "Borderline Case" from NGE... which is a song that plays when we are deep into Asuka's infamous Mind Rape scene...
Personally I don't find any similarity, but you can try :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxT0m4LfXg

Still, if it's true... then stop it Anno... please just fucking stop it. :bigeyes:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm

What I want to know is why Anno planned this out back in 2.0 but (apperently) didn't implement it until Q.

The reddit guy said he tried one of the preview walls of glyphs and it resulted in nothing interesting.
What direction did he read it in and maybe another direction will work?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:See OP pic of the reddit thread.

I made that thinking I'd troll 4chan implying there's meaning behind the glyphs.
Even asked Reichu for better CRC comment translation to try and seem legit.

See quote included at the very bottom.
Now take that quote in the context of what has actually been discovered about the glyphs.

Oh, so it's what I thought at first after all.

That ... is ... hilarious. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed May 01, 2013 7:04 pm

I'd post the 'Just what you'd expect....' pic but this is far beyond anyone's expectations.

Inventing your own language to screw with your audiences heads? Troll level: Anno.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Even still, this is huge. There are hundreds of glyphs, and we don't even know which way to read them. Anything to try to decipher them into an 88 key piano is going to be hell. Even putting them into language would take an obscene amount of devotion.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Any good reason some letters are missing while others have two glyphs instead of one?
SPOILER: Show
[url]http://i.imgur.com/Lfcv6WR.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/2AM8n1p.jpg[/url]
88 glyphs... maybe all letters are supposed to have 2 glyphs? 26 letters A-Z, times 2, equals 52, probably for both lower case and upper case? plus 10 for the numbers 0-9, equals 62... uhm... to 88, still missing 26... 26 letters of the Greek alphabet?

Maybe it's based on the Japanese phonetic alphabet? I can count 46+3+2=51 different characters or 71+33=104 different sounds in Hiragana... :gendo:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 pm

88 glyphs; 88 piano keys. That's one of the things that we're working with right now.

toji_
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toji_ » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 am

We have two ways of decoding :

glyphs :arrow: notes :arrow: music
music :arrow: notes :arrow: glyphs :arrow: letters (maybe message )

We really need someone with musical ear on the kaworu/Shinji duet :o

notalive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby notalive » Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 am

I doubt we'd find anything in the duet. What we have to look for are simple (piano) melodies throughout Q (or even the whole Rebuild series).
"Your fanwank is so bad, it gave me Third Impact" - anon
Avatar: OMG! Everything is going according to the scenario!

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 am

Aren't you guys going a bit overboard with this? It's just an easteregg. And we could have seen it coming since a complete grid with 88 glyphs was released in the CRC for 2.0... I don't think it makes sense to try and "decypher" every single instance these glyphs appear. The sequence during the choker scene translates to Quelconque 56, yes. But remember that in this scene, the glyphs were cleary legible, whereas in many other instances, they're not. That's probably because they're just used for imagery in those other scenes, but Anno knew that we would definitely try to find some hidden meaning in the DSS choker sequence if he were to make it blatantly obvious.

What definitely will happen, though: In 4.0, there will be at least one sequence with these glyphs appearing (maybe during Instrumentality, flashing?), and then, we will have to use the letters they translate to in order to reveal some message or just random words:

2.0 CRC gives us the complete glyph grid -> 3.0 gives us sequence to use it on
3.0 (CRC?) gives us the letters some glyphs translate to -> 4.0 gives us a sequence to use that on

It's nice, yes. And whoever figured this out deserves at least a bit of praise. But no need to try and decypher all those blurry and barely legible walls like in the 3.0 preview ;) Just my two cents, though I would be much impressed if it turns out to be wrong.

I doubt we'd find anything in the duet. What we have to look for are simple (piano) melodies throughout Q (or even the whole Rebuild series).

Woah. There's only very few people who are able to recognize notes just by hearing them. The chance that a melody from the OST translates to an actual message is very slim...
Though I'd like to note that in the booklet for the soundtrack, there were notes for at least the Quatre Mains played by Shinji and Kaworu. Try those

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 am

View Original PostDemonSpade wrote:What definitely will happen, though: In 4.0, there will be at least one sequence with these glyphs appearing (maybe during Instrumentality, flashing?), and then, we will have to use the letters they translate to in order to reveal some message

SPOILER: Show

YOLO

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”