Glyphs

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:50 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The difficulty is, when you string together any random sequence of notes, they tend to sound like, well, any other random sequence of notes.

I went back and listened to each track individually; they are the same. What remains is to figure out what it means, and if it applies anywhere else.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:04 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The difficulty is, when you string together any random sequence of notes, they tend to sound like, well, any other random sequence of notes. Tone deaf as I am, I tend to think that this OEIS sequence sounds as much like Shinji's piano tune as the supposed Hex glyph version.

Except that isn't a random sequence. If you look closely you can see that there's an underlying structure to the numbers. Here's the sequence again for reference:

22,27,32,37,01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,44,49,54,59,64,69,74,79,43,48,53,63

I'll split the sequence in the rows to make the pattern clearer:

Multiple strings of notes separated by five keys. Doesn't seem very random to me, and it does sound like the tune used during Shinji's breakdown. The fact that there are 88 glyphs for 88 piano keys fits too well. Doesn't mean it's the only way the glyphs can be interpreted, but this way just works in this situation.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:51 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Doesn't mean it's the only way the glyphs can be interpreted, but this way just works in this situation.

This is one of the many things that worries me about the glyphs. Since they are so random and unknown, it's entirely possible that there are several more interpretations out there. Granted, this is one of the only things we've tried that has worked, but there's got to be another way of looking at this.

thegoodson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thegoodson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:18 pm

There's 88 constellations, and there's vague astronomy stuff associated with Shinji

That's about all I've got
:hahaha:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:41 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:This is one of the many things that worries me about the glyphs. Since they are so random and unknown, it's entirely possible that there are several more interpretations out there. Granted, this is one of the only things we've tried that has worked, but there's got to be another way of looking at this.

I'm still uncertain about how the glyphs got mapped to those numbers. Is there a "key" for the mapping between the glyphs and numbers, that works across multiple instances (as opposed to just the collar and the piano tune of notes jumping up in perfect 4ths)? Specifically, does the numbers correlate to the glyphs in other instances or was it pigeon-holed to work with a specific piece of music?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I'm still uncertain about how the glyphs got mapped to those numbers. Is there a "key" for the mapping between the glyphs and numbers, that works across multiple instances (as opposed to just the collar and the piano tune of notes jumping up in perfect 4ths)? Specifically, does the numbers correlate to the glyphs in other instances or was it pigeon-holed to work with a specific piece of music?

It began on reddit where people were trying to make a sense of the series of letters that the DSS Choker schematics shown.
And one of the poster noticed that in the 2.0 CRC, there was 88 different glyphs listed, and that it could correspond with the 88 keys of a piano, since the piano imagery was used a lot in Q.
Then the one who discovered the whole thing took the list of runes in his CRC exemplar, numerated the runes from 1 to 88 from from up to bottom and from right to left(the traditional Japanese reading direction), noted the 32 runes that appeared on the DSS Choker schematic, made them correspond with the runes in the CRC, and then noted the corresponding number in the order of the runes displaying in the scene of the schematics.

And finally playing the keys on a piano following that order of numbers, he obtained the the 32 first notes of the song of Shinji's breakdown! Actually the letters were a Red Herring, it was the runes themselves and the order of their appearance that mattered!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:13 am

ElMariachi has it right. Here's a copy of the diagram that was used for reference. It's a good summary of all that we've discovered about the glyphs so far.

Glyphs Diagram  SPOILER: Show

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Actually the letters were a Red Herring, it was the runes themselves and the order of their appearance that mattered!

Those letters are the greatest indication that the glyphs can be interpreted in multiple ways. Unless they really are meaningless, but I don't feel that's the case.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:45 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Those letters are the greatest indication that the glyphs can be interpreted in multiple ways. Unless they really are meaningless, but I don't feel that's the case.

Sorry, I explained myself wrongly : what I meant is that for the piano keys mysteries the letters were irrelevant, maybe they have a sense for another instance of the runes appearing somewhere in the movies, or will be relevant in Final.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 pm

They're obviously atlantean runes:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/zih0.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Rebuild and Nadia actually take place in the same 'verse, with the latter's earth being another black-moon planet which some random FAR crashlanded on!

/fanwank
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Will Nadia's runes turn out to be music? I doubt it. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating find. I'm very impressed.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:They're obviously atlantean runes.

Do any of the runes match up with the glyphs that we've discovered thus far? If they do, this is going to be an amazing discovery.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Do any of the runes match up with the glyphs that we've discovered thus far? If they do, this is going to be an amazing discovery.

They look similar, but I think the runes we see in Rebuild are more "dense" than the ones in Nadia.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:40 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Except that isn't a random sequence. If you look closely you can see that there's an underlying structure to the numbers. Here's the sequence again for reference:

22,27,32,37,01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,44,49,54,59,64,69,74,79,43,48,53,63

I'll split the sequence in the rows to make the pattern clearer:

It looks like a poem structure to me.
maybe we can decipher a poem.

what if we started at 00 instead of 01, would that change anything?
Still waiting on Evangelion Final...

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:43 am

Talk about a :resurrect: if I ever saw one. :lol:

This thread is pretty much dead, though. I think analysis stopped around the time that it sunk in that we weren't going to be getting much FINAL info for a long time. Now, that doesn't mean that analysis isn't appreciated, but I'm not sure how much active speculah there's going to be on this from the forums at large until we get a better framework to go off of. You seem quite motivated, though. ;)

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 am

I was re watching 3.33 and saw the glyph + alphabet on the dss choker.
I went frame by frame taking photos. then i did a google image search and eventually came across this post.
After i finished reading this thread, i was utterly mind blown.
then someone when i saw him post those numbers, i became intrigued and thought i would investigate further.
i googled #88 and came across Shakespeare's sonnets!
making the connection between poems and Shakespeare i was convinced i had something.
but i have yet to connect these ideas together to formulate a hypothesis.
so i continue to investigate!...

EDIT: found something!
possibly more evidence that glyphs , music , and messages are somehow tied?

Still waiting on Evangelion Final...

Blacklightxxxx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blacklightxxxx » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Random thought:

There are seven main keys in piano: CDEFGAH(B) where H and B are the same key (scandinavians use H instead of B). They form Octaves and the distance between the first C in piano keys to the second C is called an octave. Octave is formed from 5 black keys and 8 white keys, which equals total of 13 keys in a octave.

I would say the glyphs are notes, and they don't necessarily form words, rather piano tracks. Nge is full of musical methaphores, and the octave theory would explain why the so far last unit is numbered 13, and why Mari has been chosen to pilot both units 05 and 08 (8+5=13) (Unit 00 doesn't fit into this theory though, and where are 10, 11 and 12? Also the amount of functioning units is currently 3, less or more, and this theory has LOTS of gaps to be filled or destroyed)

BUT I'm happy if someone gets something out of this and it's useful =^∞^=

P.s. I'm not telling we should turn all glyphs into music because it would take a LOOOOOT of time and effort
*~*" :D
~Random thoughts and (hopefully) helpful ideas~

English isn't my native language. Please forgive possible grammar errors.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:16 pm

The Glyphs = Piano has been discussed before, and there even was an hidden musical cameo coming from the Glyphs flashing with roman letters in the DSS Choker's schematics.

No other correspondence has been found yet.

Blacklightxxxx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blacklightxxxx » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 pm

^ lost a part of my writing......

If we look for similar pieces in the already existing tracks on Rebuild, which we are able to make from the glyphs, and took the parts where someone says something during the part playing, and attached them together, we (maybe) would be able to construct something that reminds poetry (or it'll be a complete disaster)???

Just some thoughts. :)
~Random thoughts and (hopefully) helpful ideas~

English isn't my native language. Please forgive possible grammar errors.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Found that reddit post today, gotta say that's a super cool discovery! A little surprised people didn't realize the NGE A-4/respective Q track similarities when that was pointed out way back when the 3.0 OST was released.

If there's a way to decode more of the glyphs seen in the films, that'd be really cool.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:02 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I demand fanart of Asuka and nothing but this towel.

I hate looking through old threads because I constantly find things that didn't come true.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”