[3.33] Things you noticed

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but the scene, after his confrontation of Rei Q, that is, where we see a zoned out Shinji barely able to maintain his balance while walking and we hear lines previously said by other characters in the film in regards to him, we hear Rei's (I believe it's her) trademark giggling, as well as additional lines not heard by any of the other characters expressing some form of disgust to Shinji. It was interesting to take note of.

Yeah, that was trippy and kind of reminiscent of the "sequence of break-up lines" from EoE. Not sure why Rei's giggling can be heard seeing as Shinji never heard Rei giggle in this continuity. I suppose the scene was meant to replace the usual weird hell traincar scenes.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby K40s » Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 pm

No, no, no, Rei's "trademark" in 3.33 is saying [s:1kpyi3ql]"ikaranai"[/s:1kpyi3ql] "shiranai" (知らない) (I don't know) with a clueless WTF? facial expression :lol:

Edit: Thanks for the correction!
Last edited by K40s on Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:No, no, no, Rei's "trademark" in 3.33 is saying "ikaranai" (I don't know) with a clueless WTF? facial expression :lol:

"shiranai"
知らない

EDIT: Noticed something....I think....

Right side on the ground, that looks like a....parachute?

SPOILER: Show

So entry plugs do have some sort of soft-landing system?
I've always wondered about the finer points of this system that's supposed to safe lives.
They've only ever shown the ejection part before, which itself looks like the most violent blending you can imagine. Especially for Rei in the synchrotest when walls got in the way.
But what goes up must come down, so I guess it's implied to do so by parachute?

I looked back at 2.22 to check Mari's ejection and there's no parachute there. Just inflatable pontoons to keep the plug afloat.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 am

View Original Postderaj wrote:Anyone else notice the white crosses on the horizon when the wunder is taking off at the end of the movie?

Can we have a pic of this moment?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Yaywalter » Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 am

View Original Postpalerider1911 wrote:I'm aware that the Navy uses Officer paygrade names which are different from the Army/Air Force/Marine Corps's. However, even within the Navy, the billet of ship's Captain could be held by someone who isn't also an O-6. A Commander [O-5], for example, could hold the billet. They would be both the Captain of the ship, and a Commander.

Maybe my previous spiel was confusing, but all that needs to be known is that Misato is a Colonel whose role is that of Wunder's Captain. One is a rank, the other is a role.

[To add to it, Ritsuko, for example, is the Vice-Captain, and we know this isn't a military rank. It's just a billet, her role.]

No, I understood that perfectly. I'm just saying it's simpler if her paygrade was just called Captain, since her billet also happens to be Captain. And that it works, since the paygrade of Captain in the Navy is equivalent to the paygrade of Colonel elsewhere.

But back on topic...

What was the deal with the quick shot of Kaworu chillin' where Kaji's melons used to be, just after the eyecatch? Didn't even notice it until I rewatched 3.33 last night...

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 02, 2013 3:48 am

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:What was the deal with the quick shot of Kaworu chillin' where Kaji's melons used to be, just after the eyecatch? Didn't even notice it until I rewatched 3.33 last night...

Whoa! I totally missed that because I was still reeling. I guess that's partly to establish a passage of time. But that's a good point... What's he doing there? Far as we know, he didn't even know Kaji. Why would he even recognize that as a particular place to be? Unless Shinji told him stories off-screen about the people he knew, or something.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu May 02, 2013 3:53 am

After Shinji's disappearance, Kaji takes Kaworu under his wing as the new Melon-protégé. "Gender has nothing to do with love..."

And just like that, the true reason for Misato's bitterness falls into place.

Blood Type: Blue
Embryo

Postby Blood Type: Blue » Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 am

This may have been said but did anyone else see the sign in Eva 13 for the RS Hoppers 1-4? Pretty sure that's what the four devices protecting the unit by creating an AT field are called but what does the name mean? Any relation to the Nemesis series, they look and act similar. I also noticed the busted hose for Kaji's watermelon patch and how Kaworu wistfully stands where it used to be, what's up with that? Also the only thing seeming to keep Lilith intact was the spears and Shinji istantly recognises the Mark 06, even though he never encountered it? Finally, is Rei reffering to herself or the Mark 06 in saying it was on orders?
"Death creates nothing." "You're death will create an opportunity." - "If their purpose is of human origin, it will fail. But if it comes from God. You cannot defeat them.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 02, 2013 4:57 am

He notices there's an EVA on Lilith. Kaworu makes note that it's Mark 6.

Blood Type: Blue
Embryo

Postby Blood Type: Blue » Thu May 02, 2013 5:11 am

Ah of course forgot that, but also why does the Mark 09 have a little Sachiel or Seele face or something on its stomach?
"Death creates nothing." "You're death will create an opportunity." - "If their purpose is of human origin, it will fail. But if it comes from God. You cannot defeat them.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu May 02, 2013 5:57 am

Armor plate to deflect anti-AT field munitions.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Close-up of Eva-13's RS Hopper Units. They look pretty weird...not like anything seen in Q or elsewhere in the Eva universe.

Close-up of the RS Hoppers I posted in another thread.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Yeah, that was trippy and kind of reminiscent of the "sequence of break-up lines" from EoE. Not sure why Rei's giggling can be heard seeing as Shinji never heard Rei giggle in this continuity. I suppose the scene was meant to replace the usual weird hell traincar scenes.

Or it could be seen as mocking him in a "Ha! You thought you saved Ayanami, when a reality you didn't and fucked up shit for nothing!" kind of way.

;)

Veefy
Adam

Postby Veefy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am

I notice that the GPS/compass/barometer device that Asuka uses at the end of the film has the word KUROSHIO below one of the meters. Presumably this is some sort of reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuroshio_Current

but possibly more with the flow of the post 3rd impact atmosphere? than the oceans.

and probably not related to the fish market
http://www.marinacity.com/eng/ichiba/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 am

We all probably know the Nadia references in 3.33 by now, but I thought I'd post this anyway:

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 am

But Misato has no sexy mustache :sniffle:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:But Misato has no sexy mustache :sniffle:

Yeah. Too bad Anno didn't find the women I did to play Misato.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 am

Nadia stuff should have gone here.

Yes, I know, I'm such a grouch. ;p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 02, 2013 12:01 pm

I'll keep that in mind. I didn't even know that thread existed.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Whoa! I totally missed that because I was still reeling. I guess that's partly to establish a passage of time. But that's a good point... What's he doing there? Far as we know, he didn't even know Kaji. Why would he even recognize that as a particular place to be? Unless Shinji told him stories off-screen about the people he knew, or something.

It's just a random place in the wrecked geofront, that just *happens* to be Kaji's patch for extra symbolic value (and OUTCH value. As he was the one who took Shinji & co to that aquarium, and now, all the Rebuilding of 15 years after SI was rendered moot...), but it's probably just another bit of Geofront to Kaworu.

It's yet another showcasing that he doesn't need spacesuits, but aside from that, he's probably just reflecting on the whole wrecked city scene and his role in it - Shinji would have to find out sooner or later, he *needs* to know to make sense of his situation and have any hope of improving it, and it was probably better that Kaworu of all people showed him, since he would be fairer to him than, say, WILLE, but Kaworu still essentially just presented someone he cared about with a sight that made his fragile little mind crack like an egg - that would weigh on anyone's mind.

As for the Asuka/Misato thing, maybe Asuka was just using Misato's old Pre!Timeskip rank for emphasis, as in, "Don't go easy on him because you used to be his guardian when you were still a colonel!"/ adressing the part of her that would care about him.

It is to be noted that Asuka's giving Asuka a basic last-name-&-rank-for-emphasis treatment here, like Ritsuko used to do - It shows that they really are on even ground now, with Asuka now being a fellow adult, despite her looks.

It is to be mentioned that they're still familiar with each other in "normal" situations (Misato: "We're counting on you... Asuka." Not "Shikinami".)
That song was a tearjerker before the 14 years revelation. Now it's just become suicide contemplating levels of sadness

The worst is that when they next meet, they did NOT "stay friends for ever and ever" - Nothing says "I hate you" quite like cracked glass.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”