Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well, if the dub actors moved on, then maybe it was just easier to recast it.

Trevor Devall, the VA of Mu La Flaga, said multiple times on his podcast how he loves the character and show. He's a well established VA that even moved to LA is the last 5-years. I did some research and it appears this is a case of Sunrise being cheap and not wanting to hire unionized voice actors to save on the costs of the dub. Matt Hill and Sam Vincent (Kira & Athrun) appear to also be active and available. Sunrise just hired random nobody's for cost savings.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:Trevor Devall, the VA of Mu La Flaga, said multiple times on his podcast how he loves the character and show. He's a well established VA that even moved to LA is the last 5-years. I did some research and it appears this is a case of Sunrise being cheap and not wanting to hire unionized voice actors to save on the costs of the dub. Matt Hill and Sam Vincent (Kira & Athrun) appear to also be active and available. Sunrise just hired random nobody's for cost savings.

Well that's disheartening... but I guess that's business :sniffle:
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:17 am

They hired NYAV https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... php?id=558 I don't know if they're unionized but calling them a bunch of random nobodies is a bit much seeing as most of the new cast has been dubbing a lot of recent anime/video games. For example, the new Kira is also the english Saitama from OPM.

And seriously? You would call Johnny Yong Bosch a random nobody in the dubbing field? lol
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 am

^ Bosch isn't a nobody, however, when the original cast is available, there has to be another reason behind not using them, and in anime it will almost always be guaranteed be something to do with money.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:They hired NYAV https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... php?id=558 I don't know if they're unionized but calling them a bunch of random nobodies is a bit much seeing as most of the new cast has been dubbing a lot of recent anime/video games. For example, the new Kira is also the english Saitama from OPM.
And seriously? You would call Johnny Yong Bosch a random nobody in the dubbing field? lol

I was referring to the new Athrun and Kira (and having a few recent roles does not make them experienced), it was more a manner of speech, since most of these people are relatively new and unknown.

My point still stands, hiring a majority of young VAs for better cost savings is scummy when at least 50% of the old cast are active and available. Look at the recent OVAs for black lagoon, they got the old cast back. Look at InuYasha the Final Act, they only replaced the voices for characters where the original VAs were unavailable, but the rest of the old cast returned. Look at Dragon Ball Super, they brought back as much of the original cast as they could (and DBZ was dubbed a loooooong time ago).

Could you imagine if Goku and Vegeta got new VAs for KAI or Super? Gundam SEED is extremely popular in Japan, it's the most (or very close) popular Gundam over there, and they didn't recast the whole Japanese cast - so why be d!cks and treat the dub this way?

As for new dubs for old dubbed shows like Escaflowne, they kept the old dub on all the releases. I wouldn't care if SEED HD had a new and an old dub. But they didn't go this route..
https://www.animeherald.com/2016/06/14/ ... -releases/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun May 06, 2018 4:56 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:As for new dubs for old dubbed shows like Escaflowne, they kept the old dub on all the releases.

For Akira they didn't until the 25th anniversary re-releases.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 06, 2018 8:48 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:
Could you imagine if Goku and Vegeta got new VAs for KAI or Super? Gundam SEED is extremely popular in Japan, it's the most (or very close) popular Gundam over there, and they didn't recast the whole Japanese cast

There's a different culture surrounding voice acting over there & its contracting that's not present here.

Hence why Goku was still being voiced by a middle aged (now octogenarian) lady, even when the character reached adulthood.

DBZ dub actors also isn't surprising, given how intertwined the Vegeta/Piccolo voice actor is with the production of the dub itself. He kind of ensures that his old friends keep coming back.

I also don't think Johnny Young Bosch would have come cheaper than anyone else.

As to the Gundam Seed re-dub itself--- one more reason I'll never watch it again. SEED should seriously go the SAO route, and be re-written.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon May 07, 2018 12:14 am

Poll results have been released in Japan detailing favorite show, suit, character, etc... It's pretty interesting.

I also completed G-Reco this evening. I'll admit right away that I have seen better Gundam shows. I have also seen better Tomino-directed Gundam shows. And yet, I can't help enjoying what I have seen. Visually, I have was impressed. Everything from the background visuals, to ship designs was beautiful. The battle scenes were also impressive, with the visual effects for the various suits' shields and weapons being a treat. There are a lot of characters, but they all had unique personalities, so that you know who they are, even if you don't remember their names. The story itself, when everything is stripped away, is pretty compelling. The dialogue was hit and miss. There was a lot of exposition dumps, and I'm not sure some of the more unusual utterances from the characters are due to translation or "lolTomino," so I don't know what to say there.

i was advised from another person on this thread to watch the show in rather large blocks, as this person noted that it was best to keep everything straight, and it did help, though there was some narrative dissonance for me in some later episodes. But I can't help thinking that as the show was designed as a weekly serialized series, that it actually fails in that regard. I don't know why it was given only 2 cours, and I'm not sure if it required 2 more, but the show needed at least ten more episodes to flesh some things out as well as give the audience time to take in what they have seen. Perhaps talk of additional material for show that was going around a while ago is putting the story in movie form a la the original Gundam Trilogy to make things more coherent. I don't whether to call it a beautiful failure or a flawed, yet ambitious work, but I feel that I did not waste my money buying the blu-ray (it didn't hurt that I got it way below MSRP either).

This could very well become the cult classic of the franchise.

OSorry this mini review is a mess. I'm writing on the fly, and I'm sure it I could say these things better if there was more time.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon May 07, 2018 12:54 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:As to the Gundam Seed re-dub itself--- one more reason I'll never watch it again. SEED should seriously go the SAO route, and be re-written.

I love SEED, but will most likely just buy the Japanese blu rays (for the crazy price). I don't want to support this re-dub.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 08, 2018 12:44 am

^ I'll stick with the original dub. It may have its foibles, but it was a compelling story the first time around, I don't really see a need to change anything about it.

cyharding wrote:Poll results have been released in Japan detailing favorite show, suit, character, etc... It's pretty interesting.

I never understood why Amaro was so popular. I mean he gets bitch slapped by Bright for bitching too much about fighting (reminding me of a certain someone else). Maybe its just ho the dub portrays him and the original is less... grating. Still, Char being #1 is totally understandable. I actually wanted Char to win, just to prove that Amaro and his self learning Gundam weren't all that.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:

As to the Gundam Seed re-dub itself--- one more reason I'll never watch it again. SEED should seriously go the SAO route, and be re-written.

I don't think SEED needs a re write, SEED Destiny needs to be re written! I don't think I've ever seen a show try harder to be uninteresting/nonsensical/infuriating. Neo Roanoke? WTF was that! They didn't even bother to make anything out of that "twist" other then ruin one of hardest hitting parts of SEED. Also let's just run Athrun through the same character arc and call it good.

At least it it gave me Shinn, the result of a DBZ fusion of Shinji and Asuka. I really wish they let him kill Kira, would've made the show a lot better. :devil:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:At least it it gave me Shinn, the result of a DBZ fusion of Shinji and Asuka. I really wish they let him kill Kira, would've made the show a lot better. :devil:

:lol:

Does he get a chance to date Lacus if he does that? Seeing as his girl (Stelllllllaaaaaaaa!!!!!!) died an all.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:25 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote::lol:

Does he get a chance to date Lacus if he does that? Seeing as his girl (Stelllllllaaaaaaaa!!!!!!) died an all.

I don't see why not! He can have her stupid body double too!

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3v5p5fnDWM

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 am

Absolutely fucking hilarious, though I was expecting a dub-over from A Streetcar Named Desire.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 08, 2018 12:36 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:At least it it gave me Shinn, the result of a DBZ fusion of Shinji and Asuka. I really wish they let him kill Kira, would've made the show a lot better. :devil:

Shinn is the character I despise --- by GSD, Kira is just going through the motions, sort of like Amuro in Zeta, but with a bigger role, and a lot less effort or implied emotion. Shinn meanwhile actively pisses me off. Everything, including killing fellow members from Orb is justified, because somebody [whose not the person I'm killing] killed his sister. :rolleyes:

Kira was a turd in the original, but he at least thought more, and partially got over his stupidity when Athrun "killed" him.

Gundam Build Divers Ep. 6

Some fleeting emotions for me in this one; it displays the collapse of the GSD system that defined gunpla battles in the other two series, and how that collapse affected the life of one of the (to be) main characters.

As someone who was on the periphery of old Tesla II machines, which were used for competitive Battletech fights, I can see a definite parallel as far as having a in-person, tech-heavy community get replaced by a lighter digital counterpart. I think it'll turn out that one of the new character's companions from their GSD days was Rommel.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Shinn is the character I despise --- by GSD, Kira is just going through the motions, sort of like Amuro in Zeta, but with a bigger role, and less effort or implied emotion. Shinn meanwhile actively pisses me off, everything, including killing fellow members from Orb is justified, because somebody killed his sister. :rolleyes:

Literally everyone Shinn cares about gets killed by Kira, I'm on his side. Kira isn't the perfect Jesus he tries to make him self out to be in that show. But in the end, NONE of the motivations of any character make any sense in the end. Durandal is probably the most sensible person in the show, wanting to establish a system where everyone can reach their full potential. Instead, he gets killed by a bunch of self righteous teenagers! :lol:

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Durandal is probably the most sensible person in the show, wanting to establish a system where everyone can reach their full potential. Instead, he gets killed by a bunch of self righteous teenagers! :lol:

Isn't that the plot synopsis for every single Gundam series? :nyao:

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue May 08, 2018 1:23 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I don't think SEED needs a re write, SEED Destiny needs to be re written! I don't think I've ever seen a show try harder to be uninteresting/nonsensical/infuriating

You're confusing SEED and DESTINY. The latter is trash, but the former is good. SEED is literally a re-telling of the original gundam series, out of the many dozens gundam shows SEED's plot mimics the original gundam the most.

SPOILER: Show
Shin is cancer :tongue:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:04 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:You're confusing SEED and DESTINY. The latter is trash, but the former is good. SEED is literally a re-telling of the original gundam series, out of the many dozens gundam shows SEED's plot mimics the original gundam the most.

??? I've said before SEED is my fav Gundam, hence why I said it DOESN't need a rewrite. Destiny is the one I said needs work because, as you said, it's trash. So I think we're in complete agreeance here. :wink:

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed May 09, 2018 12:47 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:??? I've said before SEED is my fav Gundam, hence why I said it DOESN't need a rewrite. Destiny is the one I said needs work because, as you said, it's trash. So I think we're in complete agreeance here. :wink:

Read it the other way around by mistake (damn my old phone with a tiny screen, can't see shit). Thought you said destiny is good and seed needs a re-write by accident! mahhh bad :wink:

Return to “Anime and Manga”