Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Rewatched Mobile Suit Gundam 3: Encounters in Space.

Holy fuck what an amazing movie. I'll type my full thoughts later, as it's pretty late at my end, but I'll sum it up with six words:
SPOILER: Show
YES MY SWEET, YES MY SWEETEST

All jokes aside though, it's an absolute triumph of a film. Quite frankly, Gundam could have stopped there and I'd be happy. (Though obviously I'm glad it didn't.)

Well anyway, next on my tour of duty is a rewatch of War in the Pocket.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Some more info on the upcoming second season of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-20/gundam-thunderbolt-anime-reveals-new-cast-promo-video/.111286
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I was recently thinking how IBO is literally the only weekly gundam I have enjoyed since 00, so I decided to do some research. Now I'm in shock. I can't believe Gundam 00 is officially a decade old in 2017...

Since 2007 we only had AGE and Reconguista G as episodic shows, as well as Build Fighters which is a spin off. Other projects included Unicorn and Origin movies that come once or twice a year. I am almost a little upset at how quickly the last 10 years flew by.. :/

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:07 am

My current mindset has me thinking I am strictly a Universal Century buff because I have tried Alternate Universes like Wing, SEED, IBO and 00 and other than watching the first few episodes of each series, I can't really get a genuine attachment to any one.

Speaking of UC, I learned from Amazon.com that 0083 is coming in early April on BluRay which is definitely a favorite of mine.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Speaking of UC, I learned from Amazon.com that 0083 is coming in early April on BluRay which is definitely a favorite of mine.

Go on Rightstuf and search "gundam", then filter to DVD and Blu ray and you'll everything that is coming out in the near future. Quite a lot.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

While it's a bummer about that 0079 movie trilogy BluRay delay, if the upcoming news pertains to G and Wing, I am TOTALLY on board!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ws/.112851
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Since 2007 we only had AGE and Reconguista G as episodic shows, as well as Build Fighters which is a spin off. Other projects included Unicorn and Origin movies that come once or twice a year. I am almost a little upset at how quickly the last 10 years flew by.. :/

I'm just pleased that everything SEED is on a permanent backburner nowadays, I'm happy that Origin has more animation in the works as it's something that's full on Universal Century and Gundam to the core, after so much nonsensical shallow rehash from the 90's to the 2000's it's a real reinvigoration. 2017's going to see some nice gunpla too. One thing I noticed is that some kits have english translations on the box and manual.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 pm

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 pm

I am tempted to say that 2017 is the year of the Gundam. In addition to Rightstuf doing the physical release for Gundam Wing Crunchyroll has added it to their line up, along with Build Fighters and TRY, and Just added today my personal favorite Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Then there is the other UC side story that will be out in a few months Twilight Axis as well as the second season of Thunderbolt.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Then there is the other UC side story that will be out in a few months Twilight Axis

Twilight Axis sounds interesting, and I hope that it won't leave a bitter taste in my mouth like Thunderbolt did. Actually, this news does raise an interesting question for me. A few years ago, the Gundam franchise was pretty much dead with the shuttering of Bandai Entertainment (though there were other factors involved, such as in this youtube video. For the record, I don't agree with all the video's points). Today, it seems the franchise is in a full renaissance. The various anime titles, including ones that haven't been released in the US before, are getting physical releases, we can watch episodes of the current Gundam anime only hours after it aired in Japan, and we're getting various manga released as well. My question is what exactly changed to allow for this turnaround? What factors convinced Sunrise it was worth the investment? I can't think of any answers.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:25 pm

KnightmareX13 wrote:... Just added today my personal favorite Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

Oh, I love G Gundam! When I hear someone say G Gundam, I think of four things

> "Flying in the Sky" starts playing in my head
    > I hear Domon shout "In the name of Kyoji!!!"
    > I hear this
    > And I hear this
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Twilight Axis sounds interesting, and I hope that it won't leave a bitter taste in my mouth like Thunderbolt did. Actually, this news does raise an interesting question for me. A few years ago, the Gundam franchise was pretty much dead with the shuttering of Bandai Entertainment (though there were other factors involved, such as in this youtube video. For the record, I don't agree with all the video's points). Today, it seems the franchise is in a full renaissance. The various anime titles, including ones that haven't been released in the US before, are getting physical releases, we can watch episodes of the current Gundam anime only hours after it aired in Japan, and we're getting various manga released as well. My question is what exactly changed to allow for this turnaround? What factors convinced Sunrise it was worth the investment? I can't think of any answers.

In North America we don't get the full Gundam experience per say, we really are at the mercy (for the most part) to what companies decide to import. Part of the revival may be due to the 35th Gundam anniversary that had a bunch of associated projects in Japan. But really Rightstuf has been doing a good job getting series brought in, I kind of suspect that their sales of Unicorn may have convinced them to bring in series previously unavailable in the west. Combine that with the rise of online streaming services it has reached a more broader audience. I don't know how much all of this is costing Rightstuf but for the older series I bet its realitively low costs since they either already have an old english dub that could be used or just do a sub only release like Turn A or ZZ which would keep the costs down compared to say if Funimation were to bring in a older series and do a redub.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:55 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:I kind of suspect that their sales of Unicorn may have convinced them to bring in series previously unavailable in the west.

I think this was a big part of it. Another factor I believe was the unexpected success of the Gundam the Origin manga over here as well. It should also be noted that the first title released was Turn A, and I don't think that was unintentional. My hypothesis was that it was released first as a test to see if there would be enough buyers to convince everyone involved to release the rest of the franchise. Not only was Turn A one of the shows that didn't have a North American release at the time, it was the one that Bandai promised, but failed to deliver when they shut down.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:06 am

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans is over and its second season was better than the first. I always felt the focus on Kudelia and her problems was the weakest part of the first season, so the removal of most of that was great.
I also felt that the battle choreography was much better than in the first season and I in general it was just an all around better looking show.
That said, while I enjoyed the show, there are a couple of things that annoyed me. I'll put that in spoilers.

SPOILER: Show
-Tekkadan were too one dimensional. The beginning of the season was promising, showing negative effects of Tekkadans rise, but these became background very fast. It's odd that they did this, because Tekkadans fall is ultimately a mostly positive thing, so it's a bit of a missed opportunity not to portray them in a grayer light.
-Rustal being a neutral character at the end was a nice spin on him, but I wish it had been foreshadowed more. All we see of him most of the time is him being arrogant and crushing his enemies using every means at his disposal. They could have had a couple of lines were he shows he isn't so one sided, although him never really showing that other side of him could be seen as part of his character. I don't know :um:

Going by the internet, the reactions to this Gundam series run across the entire spectrum of emotions. I'd honestly recommend not listening to any of it and watching the show blind.
Well, lets see what comes next for the AU! Going by the announcements it seems they're going full ahead with the UC but maybe two years from now?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

An IBO related event held at the at the Animate store in Shinjuku has dropped the little bombshell that Atra and Kudelia are indeed married in the epilogue.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Sort of gives new meaning to that "Take this! My, love, my anger, and all of my money!" meme

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:54 pm

KnightmareX13 wrote:

Sort of gives new meaning to that "Take this! My, love, my anger, and all of my money!" meme

Yes, and I wish I had that much money just laying around to buy such awesome things with...

My only question is, are there other 1/12 scale Gundams?
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am

Hey! The new Gundam Versus is getting a release in the west! http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/27/gu ... station-4/

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun May 07, 2017 7:00 pm

I'll be receiving my copy of The 08th MS Team BluRay by Tuesday morning.

For a love story, we see so little Shiro/Aina interaction. Only at select points in the story and the final episode doesn't even have them say a word since it's a side quest that never got fully developed.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Gundam IBO to be released this fall by Funimation of all companies. I thought Rightstuf had the right to the fanchise.

Return to “Anime and Manga”