Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Shin Crossbone Gundam Dust Manga Series to Launch in July (sequel to Crossbone Gundam).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Well damn, glad to see so many folks agree with me re: Thunderbolt. I'll watch the last ep, but I'm not expecting much (and I don't have enough alcohol in me to make it worth my while atm, but give me time, I'm off until Monday . . . ).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Gundam Build Fighters Blu Ray/DVD set coming Aug. 2:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -2/.101773
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 pm

Has anyone else had their orders for ZZ and/or X ship? I'm only asking because I got an e-mail today saying mine shipped (for the record, I ordered both).
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am

I'll buy SEED and G and Wing and 00 as soon as they come out on bd. I think those are the only ones I want to own (and already own all of Unicorn).

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 06, 2016 4:20 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I'll buy SEED and G and Wing and 00 as soon as they come out on bd. I think those are the only ones I want to own (and already own all of Unicorn).

My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon May 09, 2016 4:41 am

View Original PostStan wrote:I'll buy SEED and G and Wing and 00 as soon as they come out on bd.

Only one of those is a right answer. The last is a give or take.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:46 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup:

Those are the best Gundams I've found. Really other than the first, the less Tomino is involved, the more I enjoy it. (not that I dislike Z, ZZ, or V mind you, they just get very odd at times..... Turn A and R&G were boring tho).

However one more Gundam to add to that list, War in the Pocket. That really is one of the strongest Gundams there is, and it only takes 6 episodes to tell it's story.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu May 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Now I have a damn good reason to like Toonami again!!! ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... me/.102043

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 12, 2016 4:06 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Now I have a damn good reason to like Toonami again!!! ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... me/.102043

Nice! That one's worth a rewatch.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun May 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Always wondered this, can I stream CN for Toonami somewhere online? I'd love to hear IBO in dub, very curious.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue May 24, 2016 6:49 am

Origin III

Garma is too precious

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 pm

I hate to be rude if it's been thoroughly discussed but hey that's a lot of pages back there to scroll through. Is After War Gundam X any good? I consider myself a big Gundam fan but I've never seen X. I've also never seen Destiny, Age or G-Reco throw me in fake geek girl prison I guess, but I was curious if it was worth checking out X. The design of the main mech sure is cool but it's talked about so infrequently and barely in any games to make me think it's that remarkable. Also so I can contribute something did you know how Tomino came up with the name Seabook? The kanji for example uses to kanji for "see" and "book" so he combined them since he is an "exemplary" pilot but changed the spelling because he's a weird-o.

Edit: Sorry saw some of the posts earlier that said to introduce some of your favorites so ....

Favorite Series
Zeta
Build Fighters
G Gundam

Characters
Kamille
China
Kyoji

Mobile Suits
Zeta
Shining
F91

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:53 am

I'm watching the second half of the series right now (I first watched it on VHS fansubs when I was in college), and I have to say that it is a good how to watch. For being a series that got cancelled, the story as a whole is pretty good as they divide the storyline into small miniarcs of 3-4 episodes, so while later episodes build on the previous ones, they don't rely on the viewer to remember details form the earlier episodes. The characters are, compared to those from other Gundam series, refreshing as in they seem the most human. The MC, Garroad, acts like someone who is his age, but remains likable. The side characters have distinct personalities as well.

To be honest, I haven't seen Destiny, AGE, or G-Reco either, so you're good. ^_^ The first two because of their bad reputation among the fandom and while G-reco doesn't have the best rep either, I'm curious to see that one as the visuals look amazing. I hope this helps.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:53 am

Interesting, I suppose the extremely episodic nature is why no other suits ever get into the other video games. Ok, I'll give it a go!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Ya After War X is definitely worth a watch by my standards. It's story and setting stands out from the rest, the characters are great(Garrod can be an idiot but he's a very likable idiot. Also the Frost brothers are awesome antagonists), and I can never get tired of that 90's Anime aesthetic. The only downside is that you kind of feel bad because you can tell the series was going to do a lot more in the 2nd half but they got the rug pulled from under them and rushed to the end. Still, it's a decent show.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:39 am

So did anyone mention that S2 of IBO is set to premiere this Fall?
New trailer/art: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ns/.104216

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 am

For the past two months or so I've been consuming large amounts of Gundam shows and basically just getting into Gundam in general. So I'm now going to post my tiny reviews of the Gundam shows I watched and my thoughts about the franchise.
My first exposure to Gundam was G no Reconguista, not really a common way to start and while I did enjoy it, the mixed reception by fans and outsiders alike made me doubt its relation to other Gundams. What guarantee did I have I'd like the other shows, when this one alienated even hardcore fans?

Some time latter Blood Orphans came out and I enjoyed that one as well but, aside from having Gundam in the name, this one and Reconguista couldn't be more different. Again I just couldn't be convinced to watch any other Gundams.

Not that long ago I decided to see Thunderbolt and 0080(I posted about that in here). At this point I thought that it made little sense for me not to watch at least the original Gundam. I'd watched all these shows already and for some reason was still avoiding one of the classics? It made no sense. So, after a long time I finally went deep into the Gundam franchise.

MSG The Movie Trilogy: Watching the movie trilogy instead of the series was a decision motivated by the glowing praise given to the movies and the fear that, if I didn't like the series, I'd have to sit through 40 episodes of it(I don't like dropping shows). As it was fast made clear, my concerns were stupid, and I quickly fell in love in the beginning of the first movie, when the first battle happens. Now, this is my fault, but I had the idea that the old Gundams were going to be awful in terms of battle scenes. I fully expected most of them to just consist of the Gundam just sitting still and shooting until everything exploded. Instead, I was treated to what is probably some of the best fighting choreography in anime. Maybe the original series doesn't keep the battles consistently good all the way through like the movies, but it is nevertheless an impressive feat they had any good fighting scenes at all in 79.

I wasn't just impressed by the battles however, as the characters and the drama that surrounds them was clearly the thing I liked the most. Both sides of the conflict are multi layered and complex and the show is packed with charming and well developed characters. Some characters do get introduced and discarded rather quick and romantic relationships all appear to develop almost completely of screen, but I got used to these things quite fast.
I had no complaints about the animation and although I know the worst got cut out of the movies, having watched the original Yamato I'm sure I could deal with anything they trowed at me.
I have to say that aside from MY SWEETEST and that bizarre song near the end of the second movie, I barely noticed the soundtrack at all.

Looking back, I'm sure I could have watched the original series. Oh well, when I feel like re watching it that's what I'll do.

Having confirmed that the original Gundam was really good, I decided to watch the rest of the UC series in a (more or less) chronological manner.

Gundam: The 08th MS Team: Superb animation and a great cast make this one a great watch. I found the recurring praise of it being one of the most "realistic" Gundams to be odd though, especially considering the last episodes.

Gundam 0083: Once again superb animation. Aside from the great main villain though most of the cast is forgettable. While I enjoyed my time with this one I have little to say about it.

Gundam Zeta: It improves on the original in almost every way, starting with the protagonist. I enjoyed Amuro, but Kamille is just such a great character. He goes from a violent, almost insane but still rather innocent kid that goes into a war on a whim to what feels like a permanently damaged human being at the end. Watching Kamille in the final episodes is almost painful.
I don't have much to say about the story itself. I don't really think there are any weak moments in the show asides from a few episodes near the beginning, which is pretty amazing for a 50 episodes long series.
As far as animation goes, there's an insane jump from 0079. It holds up spectacularly for a show from the 80s, especially considering the amount of action it has.
Also, the Ops are awesome and so is the soundtrack. It's not surprising ZZ reuses most of it.

Zeta Movies: Pretty animation is great but there was no way you could shorten the series that much without losing a lot of quality in the process. It feels like fanservice for the people who watched the original. Wouldn't recommend this one to someone who never watched Zeta. I didn't find the jumps from new to old animation to be that jarring, I got used quickly.
The new ending is also quite sweet.

Gundam ZZ: From the way the internet reacted, I expected an abortion of a show and prepared myself for nearly 50 episodes of suffering. I'm forced to declare most people just have terrible taste. Or maybe I have bad taste. Eh...
ZZ starts as a slightly above average comedy but by episode 20 or so it goes back to a serious tone(most of the time anyway) and gives one of the best Earth arcs of all times(the one thing everybody one the internet seemed to agree on). After that it never reaches the same highs but it remains a solid show and Glemy is a decent villain.
The main cast gets pretty good after some time too and Judau, which I expected to be an annoying bastard most of time becomes a fantastic protagonist later on.
Haman, once she pops up, is pretty cool, although I wish she interacted with Judau more often.
Puru is best girl.

In conclusion, it doesn't reach the same level of quality that Zeta did, but its a worthy sequel and gives a conclusion to many characters from Zeta.

Char: Just so I don't have to say this during my thoughts on Chars Counterattack, I'll put this here. Char deserved better. He's a great character, but his change from Zeta to the movie shouldn't be something that we have to imagine. It'd be great to see his downfall!
But no, just keep doing stuff during the One Year war. At least The Origin is cool.

Gundam: Chars Counterattack : When I started this move I honestly wandered if they were going to do a in media res thing, but no, the movie does start that way, sigh...
The animation and soundtrack are fantastic and the final confrontation between Amuro and Char is epic and a fitting conclusion to their characters.
This is movie I should like a lot more but I can't because it feels like I'm reading the last 100 pages of a 1000 page book. I'm not exaggerating when I say that if we had a series that detailed what happens between ZZ and this movie, said movie would be a 10/10.
Maybe one day it'll happen. I can hope.

Gundam Unicorn: Considering what I said before this show didn't need to exist, but I'm glad it does. I have nothing to say about this one other than wishing it connected in some way with F91. Other than that I have only minor complaints. Absolutely fantastic show.

F91: Deep down this is a good old Gundam, just incredibly resumed. Many of my complaints stem from this fact but I won't talk about them. I do have to say that I loved the ending, even if I barely cared about the characters.

Gundam Victory: Again, the Internet spoke badly of this one,but having enjoyed ZZ, I no longer cared about what other's had to say.
Victory is...hard to recommend, even tough I liked it. It's packed with infuriating moments of stupidity and unnecessary deaths. It also has the episodes were they fight against the battleship on Earth, witch are some of the weakest in all the Gundams I've seen.
The main villains are either hilariously insane(KATTEJINA-SAN!!) or are supposed to be charismatic, but then proceed to murder thousands of people with no remorse(I mean seriously Chronicle, SERIOUSLY?)
But if you can bear this, there's a likable protagonist, absolutely amazing action scenes and a phenomenal ending(the bikini girls only improve the experience).

Give it a try.

Turn A Gundam: The most beautiful of all Gundams is the best way I can describe it. While you can watch it without having seen any other Gundams, seeing it as a conclusion to all other Gundams makes it one of the most powerful shows in the franchise.
Beautiful animation and a soundtrack by Yokko Kanno complete the package.

So, Gundam, after seeing all these shows I can say I feel in love with it. Funnily enough I don't care much about the actual mechs! They're the least interesting part of the show to me.
I think the UC timeline being so packed with content also helped in my enjoyment, you really get attached to it.

I was foolish for having avoided Gundam for so long, what an absolutely amazing experience it was.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 am

I have to say you really hit the same opinions as me on almost everything! Except, I hate all the Gundam OVA's except 0080 and prefer 0079 TV! However, I just was curious about how much you know about behind the scenes production. Some of the things you brought up were actually due to "executive meddling" is all. CCA was originally going to be an arc in ZZ, hence Char's weird inclusion in the opening yet never being in the series, but they were givent he OK to proceed with a film instead. Also the stupid battleships on earth in Victory were from the company saying they needed a battleship toy. Also, really easy mistake but actually Puru Two is best girl! ^_^

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:59 am

Yeah I'm aware of the stories behind ZZ, CCA and Victory. Knowing it doesn't really make any difference when it comes to liking the shows though.

Also, you hate all the OVA's? You're including Unicorn in that?

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:Also, really easy mistake but actually Puru Two is best girl! ^_^

Heh, she's okay.

---

Since this looks like the right place to do this...

I don't really have a favourite Gundam series, it's too difficult for me to pick one. I do, however have certain aspects where I think some shows beat all others. So here goes:

-Favourite Soundtrack- CCA- There are some very good soundtracks in Gundam, Turn A, Zeta, Victory, but for me CCAs soundtracks beats all others.
-Least Favourite Soundtrack- MSG- It's not that I think it's bad, it's just that aside from YES MY SWEETEST I barely noticed this soundtrack even existed

-Favourite Protagonist- Kamille- He's awesome, do I need to say anything else?
-Least Favourite Protagonist- Mikazuki- He doesn't show many emotions and he likes fighting, so interesting

-Favourite Antagonist- Char- No explanation needed.
-Least Favourite Antagonist- Katejina- I actually like her madness, but when compared to the many amazing antagonists in Gundam she lags behind.
Last edited by Justacrazyguy on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Return to “Anime and Manga”