question about Q subforum after 3.33 dvd release

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pioneer
Embryo

question about Q subforum after 3.33 dvd release

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 am

When the 3.33 dvd comes out, will everyone be forced into posting in existing threads about certain topics? One thing I very much do not like about evageeks as a whole is that many people push users into posting in threads that are often months or years old to be "on topic." It seems lost on evageeks that message boards are places for fresh discussion and are fairly ephemeral, but many mods insist on continuing old discussions instead of letting new users discuss the same topics in a fresh thread, free of having to comply with the consensus of older board members. I don't expect evageeks to move beyond that policy any time soon, but for the Q subforum, please consider not pushing everyone to post in the existing threads. All the Q threads are based on the camrip and what some people have to say about their experiences with seeing in Japan. Could we please start new threads about the topics once we actually get to see the movie clearly?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:44 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 am

There's a lot to be said for giving the solutions to problems linked to the former discussion of those problems. In any case, there will be lots of instances where seeing the BD will not actually solve anything, but maybe just give some extra hints - which happened earlier as additional camrips, translations, and accounts from viewers got added to the available knowledge.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:13 am

I feel it would be more fun if people had the opportunity to read the original megathread before/after seeing the home release.
Voluntary Illusion.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: question about Q subforum after 3.33 dvd release

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:15 am

TC isn't saying that old threads should be deleted or old ideas discarded, but instead that we should be allowed to create new threads on old topics that are months or years old.

And I tend to agree. I absolutely hate in Evangelion Discussion, for example, seeing a thread bumped from like 2005. At best the time limit for bumping threads should be only a few weeks IMHO.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: question about Q subforum after 3.33 dvd release

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:I absolutely hate in Evangelion Discussion, for example, seeing a thread bumped from like 2005. At best the time limit for bumping threads should be only a few weeks IMHO.

Why? I've never understood the reluctance to continue old threads - so long as they really are a continuation, with a connection to the earlier discussion.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 am

pioneer wrote:It seems lost on evageeks that message boards are places for fresh discussion and are fairly ephemeral, but many mods insist on continuing old discussions instead of letting new users discuss the same topics in a fresh thread

Fresh discussion happens all the time around here, every so often one of the old threads gets bumped and discussion is resumed, it's certainly better than having multiple threads for the exact same thing because people only bother to look at the first page of any given subforum before creating a new one. It's also better for people who just want to gather information because it's all centralized, for pepople who want to actively discuss there is no loss either since you can always bump stuff.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Thread necromancy or posting in preexisting threads is best for a number of reasons. It helps reduce clutter (remember, this is a huge forum with lots of daily traffic). And comments or questions people have might have already been addressed in the original thread. Or the comments/questions can be expanded upon further in the preexisting thread instead of members creating a brand new thread (or several, which happens a lot already) and ending up with many redundant topics.

Our thread bumping and thread necromancy policies are a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The forums become a big mess when there are several redundant threads floating around.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I feel it would be more fun if people had the opportunity to read the original megathread before/after seeing the home release.

Yep, everyone should read the original [SPOILERS AS FUCK] 2ch Q synopsis prep. for anal devastation thread to see what went down in the first few hours after people poured out of the premiere.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yep, everyone should read the original [SPOILERS AS FUCK] 2ch Q synopsis prep. for anal devastation thread to see what went down in the first few hours after people poured out of the premiere.

It just won't be as fun if they know those early spoilers are false though.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:59 pm

I see no reason whatsoever to reinvent the wheel. If an older discussion covered a topic in detail, we absolutely should keep it in mind when offering new ideas for consideration. There's just no reason to start from scratch when talking about an established work like this.

This board isn't a damn 'chan. Don't expect us to treat it like one.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 pm

I've never understood why a taboo against thread 'necromany' existed at all anywhere. Is it some sort of holdover from the early days of the internet or something?
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:13 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I've never understood why a taboo against thread 'necromany' existed at all anywhere. Is it some sort of holdover from the early days of the internet or something?

The earlier days of the internet you had news groups, which, outside of certain archives for specific information, were almost entirely transient. What you post would simply go away after a week or two because NNTP hubs simply could not store more than a 10 gigs or so (this being when the harddrive in your PC was 30M) of posts spanning tens of thousands of groups.

Some forums do this because most of their discussions are more transient ("What did you eat for breakfast today?") and they implement regular thread purging since nothing of importance would be lost in a year old inactive thread. Since we don't have auto-thread purging turned on, and we'd actually like to keep old discussion, if not only for archival purposes), we can't continue to have new threads started for the same topic every time someone wanted to discuss something that's not on the first page of threads. It would be a bummer if someone wanted to look for the source of, say, the overlay images during the Reiquarium, only to find it spanning 20 threads, or to find that the thread where all of those pictures which are discovered to actually be linked to NOVA got purged because people would rather start a new one than bump the old one.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm genuinely surprised by all of your reactions, to be honest. This is literally the only forum I have ever seen in the decade I've spent on the internet that encouraged this kind of bumping.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:I'm genuinely surprised by all of your reactions, to be honest. This is literally the only forum I have ever seen in the decade I've spent on the internet that encouraged this kind of bumping.

I'd wager you haven't been on many devoted to heavy analysis of an 18-year-old show, either. It's tremendously useful to be able to say to new users "yes, we've talked about that already. See these threads here and here and here and see if you have anything to add" instead of rehashing the same old shit over and over again. It means new content on the site is far more likely to be interesting, and I'd bet money that's been a major contributor to the site's longevity.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Fair enough then. That's a pretty convincing case you guys have raised, and I am unable to come up with anything even decent against it.

pioneer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi yeah, evageeks can have whatever policy it wants for normal thread necromancy. I am specifically talking about the Q subforum after the dvd is released. I would love to read thorough discussions, but not have to sift through many posts that are misinformed because they are based off camrips. What do the mods have to say about how they will deal with this issue (if they will in fact consider that something should be done for a better user experience for people other than the regulars on here).

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:48 pm

View Original Postpioneer wrote:I would love to read thorough discussions, but not have to sift through many posts that are misinformed because they are based off camrips.
As opposed to the posts based off 2ch comments and mobile phone pictures of the theatrical programme... We have a few thousand posts made in the weekend of the release when that was all we had.

It will be interesting to see if the BD release adds anything significant to things like the 50+ pages of the Shinji Character Analysis thread, for example.

To answer the broader point -- like most things, we'll judge on a case by case basis. Some of the existing threads probably would benefit from being refreshed; others will get retired to give a clean sheet for the home video wave.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Most of the threads are so short that rebooting them would be pointless. And as Tines intimated, high-def video isn't going to have much if any impact on some of the longer ones.

It's not as if the original spoilers mega-thread is even active anymore.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pioneer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:To answer the broader point -- like most things, we'll judge on a case by case basis. Some of the existing threads probably would benefit from being refreshed; others will get retired to give a clean sheet for the home video wave.

Yes, this is the type of reassurance that I was looking for. I would definitely like to see new threads about topics that involve a large amount of visual details. Thanks for reading and responding to my post instead of attacking it or presenting your own bias as the way things ought to be. :D

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”