Chuckman's Age of Marvels

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Chuckman's Age of Marvels

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:46 am

Spoilers for the ongoing series. I haven't been able to spot all the character analogs, and can't be bothered to type up all the one's I've found. I'll use a spoiler tag here, but everyone else can do whatever.

Chuckman's Age of Marvels is here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8945101/1/Evangelion-Age-of-Marvels

Some of these are clearly x-gene analogs of more situational mutations (Spider-Man's powers, for example are not x-gene-derived). The origin of some powers is unclear; the Spider-Man analog is apparently created by a spider bite, but she is also supposed to be a mutant. Whether her x-gene power coincidentally was spider-like, or it reacted to the spider bite opportunistically (like some versions of 'the mega-gene'), or her mutant power hasn't actually manifested yet -- entirely unclear.
SPOILER: Show

Hikari Horaki - Spider-Man.

Shinji Ikari - Magneto. Or general telekinesis with a ferrokinetic mental block in place.

Asuka von DOOOOOOM - don't know, some species of pyrokinesis (Pyro, Sunspot)

Rei Ayanami - possible many-power, clearly exhibiting Nightcrawler-like ability. Nightcrawler + serial clones = suggestions of Wolverine and the X-Men-type BAMFs.

Touji Suzahara - Power Man, or maybe Colossus.

Kaoru Nagisa - some shit-based power. Currently unknown.

Mana Kirishima - Wolverine or X-23 (don't know if she has foot-blades yet) or maybe Wolverine's Ultimate Comics son.

Erik Lawson - probably not an analog.
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Chuckman's Age of Marvels

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Some of these are clearly x-gene analogs of more situational mutations (Spider-Man's powers, for example are not x-gene-derived). The origin of some powers is unclear; the Spider-Man analog is apparently created by a spider bite, but she is also supposed to be a mutant. Whether her x-gene power coincidentally was spider-like, or it reacted to the spider bite opportunistically (like some versions of 'the mega-gene'), or her mutant power hasn't actually manifested yet -- entirely unclear.

Hikari Horaki - Spider-Man.

Shinji Ikari - Magneto. Or general telekinesis with a ferrokinetic mental block in place.

Asuka von DOOOOOOM - don't know, some species of pyrokinesis (Pyro, Sunspot)

Rei Ayanami - possible many-power, clearly exhibiting Nightcrawler-like ability. Nightcrawler + serial clones = suggestions of Wolverine and the X-Men-type BAMFs.

Touji Suzahara - Power Man, or maybe Colossus.

Kaoru Nagisa - some shit-based power. Currently unknown.

Mana Kirishima - Wolverine or X-23 (don't know if she has foot-blades yet) or maybe Wolverine's Ultimate Comics son.

Erik Lawson - probably not an analog.

I guess Hikari is supposed to be some kind of mutant, since supposedly everyone at the Academy is a mutant, but somehow I don't buy it. My money is on everyone mistaking her for a mutant because that's what it looks like.

My own analysis:

Erik Lawson -- who knows? Possibly Loki; this has been suggested by someone else, and I see at least a small amount of merit in it. Lawson is stronger than he looks, and is obviously a smooth character and an effective manipulator of events, and also has shown the ability to seemingly disappear into thin air. All of these are suggestive of Loki. On the other hand, he seems for the most part considerably more benevolent than Loki, although that could just be him pursuing his own agenda. Finally, there's just his name: "Erik" is a very Scandinavian version of a Scandinavian name, and "Lawson" sounds a little like "Laufeyson" and is an Americanization of a Swedish surname. Coincidence? Highly likely.

Natalie Summers -- also, amusingly, a possible candidate for Loki. We know Loki has occasionally taken a woman's shape, and has maintained that guise for a long time. Summers is full of lies and malice, which sounds like Loki at his worst. Her special ability centers around mind manipulation, which is suggestive of Loki as well, but also probably suggestive of half a dozen Marvel characters, including Charles Xavier. She's not the most competent villain ever, and is prone to underestimating her opponents, but that's nothing new for Loki either, if she is Loki; he always did have a bad habit of treating his enemies with contempt. It should be noted that there really is no hard evidence for Loki either way. Both Summers and Lawson might not be analogs at all. At this point I really have no idea, and none of my suggestions should be taken with any high degree of confidence.

Mari -- catgirl, or something. She's built like a leopard: fast, strong, and vicious.

Sakura -- various mental mutant abilities, in contrast to Toji's primarily physical abilities. It's very unclear what her skill set is at present, though it is implied that she has something resembling Xavier's abilities. Also being trained in sorcery by the former Doctor Stephen Strange.

That's about it for now; that's really everyone who has been introduced at present. Let's get some discussion going.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Hmm, X-Men and Eva. My two favourite things together in a story. I'm going to have to read this.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Well, there's also Kaji and his "passenger." Either he's the Eva-verse's version of Dexter, or that's a reference to the Hulk. Misato as Red Hulk would be smokin'.

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:13 pm

I just started reading chapter 8. I am not even a page-length into it, and already

confidence is high that Lawson is Loki, are else Chuckman is just throwing bait. I would say probability of Loki Identification is currently even money, at worst. When you have a brother who chides you for your silver tongue, there aren't many other people you could plausibly be.

Edit #1: In fact, never mind confidence is high, if Lawson is anybody else but Loki, it would be unbelievable.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 am

Ayup, and here I thought he might go with female Loki or the more recent (and compelling, as a character) boy Loki from Journey into Mystery.

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 am

Yeah, I thought Summers could have been Female Loki too. There were a lot of signs in favor of it, except perhaps for Summers' job. I get the idea that Loki was never much of a science-y sort of guy. Not that he's dumb or doesn't understand it, but more that he just doesn't concern himself with such things on a daily basis.

In any case, I find this Loki interesting. He seems to have lost some of his evil edge, if not all of it. Still a cunning, ruthless bastard of a man, but not quite a villain, at least not yet. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Gendo meets him. They're both expert schemers after all.

Gendo is going to go crazy when he finds out what Summers has been doing to him.

Also, I could believe Kaji as being the Hulk. There's nothing else that really stands out at the moment.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:09 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Journey into Mystery.

Did you read Gillen's run on this, Ark?

Been thinking about picking up the trades, seeing how highly touted by readers it is and all that.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Yeah, Gillen's Loki is a much more modern prankster, and ends up doing a ton of fun stuff throughout Fear Itself.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:39 pm

I guess Rei == Nightcrawler suggests the "Angels" might be Azazel-lian, or mutant-demonic in nature.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Sitting on a stand was a helmet, battered and used. Some of the enamel finish had worn off, but it used to be lavender and purple, with a pair of little horns, one now broken.

There was some kind of a visor with a cracked red lens and a switch on the side, and a woman's scarf wound round a pole.

The only thing I got here was Cyclops' visor.

And I guess Natalie Summers is Mister Sinister? He's practically a meme in 616 anyway.

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Natalie Summers being Mister Sinister/Nathaniel Essex sounds about right. It was the similarity in appearance and first names that made me suspicious, and now I'm almost certain of it.

What gets me is the mysterious presence of two active Reis at the same time. That doesn't seem kosher. We have the Sixth, who is the one with Toji and presumably the one who nearly got herself killed in the battle with Sachiel, and then we have the Fifth, who just died in the same manner that Rei II nearly died in canon. What is going on here? I thought it was physically impossible for there to be more than one active Rei at one time.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Rei Five is the one with Toji. She escaped after the Sachiel and ran into him outside the hospital. Ritsuko thought she died when her vitals flatlined in the plug, but she was no longer in it. Summers covered up her escape and told everyone she was in the hospital while she pulled out the next clone.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 pm

That, and I'm not sure the mechanics of Lilith's soul is relevant in this particular universe. Souls exist in the Marvel universe (Nightcrawler died a while back, and his soul has been popping up all the time), and they don't appear to be infinitely frangible, but I don't know how souls are assigned to clones (in DC, for example, clones like Superboy had to 'earn' their souls).

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Ah, I see. I must have got the timing of events mixed up. I thought Rei Six was the one in Sachiel. Don't know how I managed that, but I did.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Ryoji Kaji - Ghost Rider
Erik Lawson - Loki, King of Asgard
Maya Ibuki - Komodo (I guess)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Ryoji Kaji - Ghost Rider
Erik Lawson - Loki, King of Asgard
Maya Ibuki - Komodo (I guess)

Maya isn't based on anybody specific, more an amalgamation of all the gamma types. She gets more lizardy as she gets agitated, and more human as she settles down. Her transformation is more of a spectrum than on/off.

That said, I shocking don't know every single character in the MU, so there's probably somebody that lines up perfectly with her somewhere that I've just never seen.

The idea came to me after Tines posted about the radiation the positron gun from the show would generate. It's not the same gun in the story, though- I used the phrase "fusion cannon" to describe it for a reason. :devil:
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:28 am

Technically speaking, now that I think about it, Tines is exactly right. Piling up all those transformers and capacitors together, pumping all the energy from Japan's dozen or more nuclear power plants into one gun? The electromagnetic fields given off by that would be incredible. People are leery of living next to a power substation on the principle that all that electromagnetism would give you cancer, and those are just a couple of step-down transformers. Imagine if you had the hundreds of them that you'd need for powering the positron rifle.

Oh, a positron rifle isn't powerful enough? Right, let's build something that fires a miniature fusion reaction! Lovely!

Sometimes I am glad that I finally got around to studying physics.

Also, Chuck, what the blazes is that in your sig? Arabic? Persian? Let me guess, it's some Assassin quote, right?

No further ideas on who the rest of the cast are, but this has been a good end to the story so far.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 am

View Original PostMaru wrote:Technically speaking, now that I think about it, Tines is exactly right. Piling up all those transformers and capacitors together, pumping all the energy from Japan's dozen or more nuclear power plants into one gun? The electromagnetic fields given off by that would be incredible. People are leery of living next to a power substation on the principle that all that electromagnetism would give you cancer, and those are just a couple of step-down transformers. Imagine if you had the hundreds of them that you'd need for powering the positron rifle.

Oh, a positron rifle isn't powerful enough? Right, let's build something that fires a miniature fusion reaction! Lovely!

Sometimes I am glad that I finally got around to studying physics.

Also, Chuck, what the blazes is that in your sig? Arabic? Persian? Let me guess, it's some Assassin quote, right?

No further ideas on who the rest of the cast are, but this has been a good end to the story so far.

"This doesn't say anything, I just think Arabic looks cool"
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

KaiserSeph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaiserSeph » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 pm

That ending was so good hngggh

I hope that
Mari and Mana are fine, and maybe Mana is adopted by Mari as an unofficial sister, since it's like a fem!Sabertooth and X-23 situation.

Also, where did Sakura put Natalie's soul?

Will Mayumi Yamagishi and Maria Vincennes appear?
STEAMid: condomavenger

Even if there is no God, or Buddha... there is Kamen Rider.

Return to “Fanfiction”