Original Japanese TV Episodes

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Original Japanese TV Episodes

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:52 pm

If you're looking for the versions that originally aired on TV, that's nearly impossible to find without some slight alteration. That production output was meant specifically for Beta Tape, which would then be aired over analogue broadcast frequencies for television. As far as I can tell, those tapes were never copied or released to home video. Rather, Gainax might have outputted separately specifically for the VHS and LaserDisc releases. As a result, there's bound to be some very minor changes between the Japanese release and the original VHS release. Unless you were watching Eva in Japan when it first aired in 1995, it's likely you never the very first televised version of the show. The versions you're referencing are most likely from the initial VHS and LaserDisc releases, since those were the only versions of the show available for mass market consumption. Anything after that is an official "Renewal" remaster with extended scenes in Episodes 21-24, or an official HD remaster that was recently released on Blu-ray. Outside of Episodes 21-24, I don't think the scenes in any of the Eva episodes were reanimated, and much of the reanimated material remained in the Evangelion: Death movie.

At least, that's my best guess. Film and TV archival is a messy thing, especially in Japan. Toho doesn't even have their original version of King Kong vs Godzilla, and can only cobble together a close mock-up using the American released film stock, and Gainax seems to have forever lost film negatives of Episode 16 of Eva. I doubt broadcast beta tapes of the show were ever archived.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”