Original Japanese TV Episodes

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

Original Japanese TV Episodes

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 am

I'm looking for a high quality version of the complete original TV series (episodes 1-26) that is as close to the originally aired episodes as possible. Subtitles are completely optional. What I really need is the raw Japanese video and audio.

I'm aware that there are at least two variations of the entire series (and here I'm talking video and audio -- not subtitles), and for all I know there could be any number of variations in between. The one I saw first were the VHS copies released by ADV, and recently I've seen parts of the ZX release which features slightly different variations of certain scenes (and I'm not talking about the Director's Cut), as well as at least one instance where the music is timed differently. While subtle, I can do without any changes of this kind.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles
The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation
Evangelion fan since 1996. Former Eva Mailing List member (late '90s).

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:04 am

You can't ask for download links of copyrighted material in this website. That said I think that this is one of Evangelion's Holy Grails, possibly some Japanese fans could still have recorded VHS tapes of the show's original airing but I don't think that they've been leaked on the internet. Afaik only episodes 21-24 were distributed in their true "OnAir" version, in the west by ADV which couldn't wait for the home video version, and in Japan by Gainax's Second Impact Box which is even closer to the aired show because it also has the static stills used for the sponsors' commercials and next episode announcements, it also keeps the original title cards with furigana of course.

In total there should be at least 3 variations of the TV series:
1) Original airing
2) First home video release
3) Renewal home video release
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Also, why do you want the original so much?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:53 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Also, why do you want the original so much?

Novelty value, maybe? I still take pride in owning original Star Wars lazerdiscs, and they're nearly obsolete.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:38 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Novelty value, maybe? I still take pride in owning original Star Wars lazerdiscs, and they're nearly obsolete.

Edit:Oh, crap. Wikipedia just told me lazerdiscs were actualy sold in America. I didn´t even know those things existed.
Last edited by Justacrazyguy on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm

So what is the highest quality version of "2) First home video release"?

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:You can't ask for download links of copyrighted material in this website.

To clarify, I wasn't asking for any such thing, I was asking for information on versions, i.e. Perfect, Renewal, Platinum, etc.

View Original PostDream wrote:Also, why do you want the original so much?

There are certain things they changed in Renewal that I just like better in the original version. One example is:

SPOILER: Show
When Unit 01 activates on its own to protect Shinji in Episode 1. Later in the series, we are told that it activated three times on its own. What I don't like about the Renewal version of this scene is that after Unit 01 protects Shinji, its eyes turn off, and then come back on again. This creates room for the interpretation that Unit 01 activated a total of four times, not three, which either adds confusion by breaking continuity or makes it look like Gainax got sloppy. Either way, it's bad and I have no idea why they thought changing it would be better.

While I haven't seen all of Renewal, there are other differences I've noticed which I can describe if you like. I was asking for info about the originals because I thought that would be the safest way to avoid getting a version that has changes I don't like. I wasn't sure if Renewal was the only version that made such changes, and didn't know how many versions there have been.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:55 pm

If you value fidelity to the original TV source, the best set would be the Japanese "Second Impact Box" DVD release. It uses the same masters as the original VHS/LD release (which was only slightly modified from the broadcast version) for Episodes 1-20 and 25-26, and has the actual broadcast version of Episodes 21-24. As an additional "bonus", it has the original version of Evangelion:Rebirth, which never made it on home video outside Japan. Here's the catalog numbers for the 3 boxes:

GDVD-010 (Episodes 1-12)
GDVD-011 (Episodes 13-24)
GDVD-012 (Episodes 25-26, Death[True]² and Rebirth, The End of Evangelion)

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Are you saying episodes 1-20 for this set aren't the broadcast version? Or do you mean that 21-24 simply isn't the Director's Cut version?

Thanks for the recommendation, I will consider it. Also, what would you say is the closest NTSC equivalent of the Second Impact Box?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 pm

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:There are certain things they changed in Renewal that I just like better in the original version. One example is:

Man, of the few Renewal/Original comparisons i've seen, i've arrived at the exact contrary conclusion. Regardless, i would be lying if i said it didn't pike my interest, if you could elaborate on those differences you mentioned, it would be much appreciated. On topic, i wish i could help you, but i really don't know anything about things like different releases/versions and similar.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 am

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:Are you saying episodes 1-20 for this set aren't the broadcast version? Or do you mean that 21-24 simply isn't the Director's Cut version?

Episodes 1-20/25-26 use the same masters of the original home video release, i.e. pre-Renewal masters with only some modifications compared to the broadcast ones (JoeD80 translated a list of changes from a Japanese site), while 21-24 use the original broadcast version.
View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:Thanks for the recommendation, I will consider it. Also, what would you say is the closest NTSC equivalent of the Second Impact Box?

The Second Impact Box is NTSC, like everything in Japan, it's coded as region 2 though, out of print since forever and, svenge could correct me here, generally kinda expensive to buy used. ADV's Perfect Collection used the same source material but I read that the video quality is even worse (Gaianax's pre-Renewal releases suck badly, in particular the image "dances" because of bad telecine).
View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Edit:Oh, crap. Wikipedia just told me lazerdiscs were actualy sold in America. I didn´t even know those things existed.

In Europe they always remained a rare commodity, the few collectors over here have NTSC players for a reason.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks, Hyper Shinchan. That's all incredibly helpful. It is a shame though that there's no easily accessible high quality release.

View Original PostDream wrote:Man, of the few Renewal/Original comparisons i've seen, i've arrived at the exact contrary conclusion. Regardless, i would be lying if i said it didn't pike my interest, if you could elaborate on those differences you mentioned, it would be much appreciated.

Could you direct me to these comparisons or do you remember what they are? From what I've seen, I like the original better than Renewal, but like I said, I haven't seen all of Renewal.

Most of the other examples I have are purely aesthetic preference.

Episode 6
Shinji rescues Rei and and she doesn't know how to react, so Shinji says to try smiling. The music track is the same in both versions, but in the original it's timed to Rei's smile in a nicer way. I like it quite a bit better.

Episode 22
The scene where Hyuga tells Misato about the Eva series production has been changed from afternoon to evening. This isn't a huge deal, but I think the original afternoon colors are nicer.

Episode 22
When the Lance pierces the Angel and vaporizes it, the level of contrast with the sound effects and volume is substantial enough to affect the dramatic impact of the scene to a degree. In Renewal, the sound of Second Impact is clearly heard. While this makes a stronger connection to the effects of using the Lance, it also makes it seem like the sound could almost be the lingering cry of the Angel. I like the dramatic impact in the original better: after the Angel vanishes, all we're left with is the thunder of it's destruction echoing across the void, which emphasizes (just a little bit more, anyway) just how powerful the Lance really is.

The contrast of volume as we cut back to NERV HQ also affects the impact of the scene. In Renewal, the contrast is lower. The effect is that it could be interpreted that the Angel is still dying before cutting back to NERV, mostly because the Second Impact sound is so loud compared to NERV HQ. But in the original, the sound of the Angel's death fading to silence is contrasted by the bustle of NERV HQ, and the impression of "holy crap, that thing just got blinked out of existence" is a little bit stronger.

Interesting to note that a very feint version of the Second Impact sound might actually exist in the original, but it's hard to tell on my deteriorating VHS tape.

Episode 24
When Kaoru opens Heaven's Door, the sound for the lock being released is different. There's something a little anticlimactic about it in Renewal, almost like the sound effect is cut off before it finishes playing. This isn't a good change considering how important the lock on that door is.

All Episodes
The colors for all the episodes in general seem brighter and livelier in the original. It's not that Renewal is too dark, but it's just not quite as colorful, which casts a slightly more somber mood over the entire series.

I will say that there is at least one change I like better in Renewal, and that would be the animation for when the Lance flips end over end off into space.

And to mention a change I really have no preference over, there's one just before the one above. Fuyutuski's reaction to losing the Lance is animated differently (he's more tense in Renewal).

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:Could you direct me to these comparisons or do you remember what they are? From what I've seen, I like the original better than Renewal, but like I said, I haven't seen all of Renewal.

Most of the other examples I have are purely aesthetic preference.

Episode 6
Shinji rescues Rei and and she doesn't know how to react, so Shinji says to try smiling. The music track is the same in both versions, but in the original it's timed to Rei's smile in a nicer way. I like it quite a bit better.

Episode 22
The scene where Hyuga tells Misato about the Eva series production has been changed from afternoon to evening. This isn't a huge deal, but I think the original afternoon colors are nicer.

Episode 22
When the Lance pierces the Angel and vaporizes it, the level of contrast with the sound effects and volume is substantial enough to affect the dramatic impact of the scene to a degree. In Renewal, the sound of Second Impact is clearly heard. While this makes a stronger connection to the effects of using the Lance, it also makes it seem like the sound could almost be the lingering cry of the Angel. I like the dramatic impact in the original better: after the Angel vanishes, all we're left with is the thunder of it's destruction echoing across the void, which emphasizes (just a little bit more, anyway) just how powerful the Lance really is.

The contrast of volume as we cut back to NERV HQ also affects the impact of the scene. In Renewal, the contrast is lower. The effect is that it could be interpreted that the Angel is still dying before cutting back to NERV, mostly because the Second Impact sound is so loud compared to NERV HQ. But in the original, the sound of the Angel's death fading to silence is contrasted by the bustle of NERV HQ, and the impression of "holy crap, that thing just got blinked out of existence" is a little bit stronger.

Interesting to note that a very feint version of the Second Impact sound might actually exist in the original, but it's hard to tell on my deteriorating VHS tape.

Episode 24
When Kaoru opens Heaven's Door, the sound for the lock being released is different. There's something a little anticlimactic about it in Renewal, almost like the sound effect is cut off before it finishes playing. This isn't a good change considering how important the lock on that door is.

All Episodes
The colors for all the episodes in general seem brighter and livelier in the original. It's not that Renewal is too dark, but it's just not quite as colorful, which casts a slightly more somber mood over the entire series.

I will say that there is at least one change I like better in Renewal, and that would be the animation for when the Lance flips end over end off into space.

And to mention a change I really have no preference over, there's one just before the one above. Fuyutuski's reaction to losing the Lance is animated differently (he's more tense in Renewal).

The comparations i mentioned were somewhere in the wiki (don't remember exactly where, sorry about that) Regarding different animations/drawing styles with Asuka (Specifically, in the scene where she is talking with her stepmother, and her scream when the light hits her) She looks much more like a young child in the original, while i prefer the more adult/developed style she has in Renewal, which i think fits her better.

Might be worth noting that since i haven't seen the original, i can't really say much about sound changes:

Episode 24

Well, as far as i remember, the scene of Kaworu opening the door occurred between some fast cuts, and the pacing's tempo was kind of increased at the moment, so i don't know if lingering more on the lock opening would have been better. Plus the general scene of Kaworu infiltrating (from the beggining of the 9th symphony up to him seeing Lilith) gives the climatic sense much better anyways, i think.

All Episodes

Considering many of Evangelion's themes and it's general tone, i think somewhat somber colors are more appropiate than bright or lively ones, it might be a shame that the colors aren't as alive, but that's how the series is.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:36 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:The Second Impact Box is NTSC, like everything in Japan, it's coded as region 2 though, out of print since forever and, svenge could correct me here, generally kinda expensive to buy used.

It's been a couple months since I last checked prices, but as I recall the going rate for the 7 TV singles (which had only the DC versions of 21-24) and the movies was about 15000 yen total in good condition, whereas the three Second Impact Box sets cost about 20000 to 25000 yen altogether.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:ADV's Perfect Collection used the same source material but I read that the video quality is even worse (Gaianax's pre-Renewal releases suck badly, in particular the image "dances" because of bad telecine).

ADV's Perfect Collection replaced all the full-screen telops with English text, so it would be patently unsuitable for OP's purposes.

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:The comparations i mentioned were somewhere in the wiki (don't remember exactly where, sorry about that) Regarding different animations/drawing styles with Asuka (Specifically, in the scene where she is talking with her stepmother, and her scream when the light hits her) She looks much more like a young child in the original, while i prefer the more adult/developed style she has in Renewal, which i think fits her better.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out at some point. It reminds me of the slightly different animation for Ritsuko on the escalator in Episode 23, although IIRC, that was a Director's Cut change as opposed to a Renewal change (but I could be wrong).

View Original PostDream wrote:
All Episodes

Considering many of Evangelion's themes and it's general tone, i think somewhat somber colors are more appropiate than bright or lively ones, it might be a shame that the colors aren't as alive, but that's how the series is.

I would argue that Evangelion is a mix of both happy and grim moments, and that the darker look impacts both the happy and neutral moments whereas the brighter look doesn't impact the grim moments at all. Also, taking the whole series into account, the grim moments occur quite seldom compared to everything that isn't grim.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:Interesting, I'll have to check that out at some point. It reminds me of the slightly different animation for Ritsuko on the escalator in Episode 23, although IIRC, that was a Director's Cut change as opposed to a Renewal change (but I could be wrong).

We have a list of the changes made to the DC episodes on our Wiki. It's not complete yet, but it also lists the main differences between the DC and the two Renewal versions, at least for these 4 episodes (Renewal "OA" has a quite complex relationship to both Renewal DC and the original OA). The changes themselves are quite fascinating, ranging from the major ones that everybody knows to the trivial ones that are really hard to catch even when comparing screenshots.
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23

The comparison for episode 24 is almost complete but I haven't uploaded it yet as we're having trouble with our mass-uploading scripts due to a recent version upgrade of the Wiki. I plan to work on it one of these weeks, though. Also, Episode 21 lacks an in-depth comparison to Renewal at the moment.
Sorry for the horrible English I've used on those pages, I'd love if a native speaker could help to clean them up a little.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

I thought the original ADV releases used the OA. Is that not close enough?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:I thought the original ADV releases used the OA. Is that not close enough?

Yes, it's mention in the second post. It's not exactly high quality, though.

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Wow! It was very interesting to learn about how many little differences there are that I missed. Great work here.

View Original Postath wrote:The comparison for episode 24 is almost complete

Looking forward to it.

View Original Postath wrote:Sorry for the horrible English I've used on those pages, I'd love if a native speaker could help to clean them up a little.

The one thing that caught my eye skimming through the first time was that there are numerous instances where "lighting" is mispelled as "lightning".

View Original Postsvenge wrote:ADV's Perfect Collection replaced all the full-screen telops with English text, so it would be patently unsuitable for OP's purposes.

This is an excellent point and I'm glad you made it. But I also appreciate seeing the closest North American equivalents mentioned, just to know what my options are.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:Wow! It was very interesting to learn about how many little differences there are that I missed. Great work here.

The comparison was originally started by Reichu as part of the old Commentary Project. There's still a lot of interesting stuff there that we haven't moved yet to the Wiki.
Anyway, thanks for the correction. I'll fix it soon.

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:This is an excellent point and I'm glad you made it. But I also appreciate seeing the closest North American equivalents mentioned, just to know what my options are.

Does anyone here have a Second Impact Box set and a little time to spare to take a few screenshots? Our comparison pages are still using shots from ADV's first DVD release, it would be great to replace those ugly hardsubbed signs in the OA once and for all.

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

Re: Original Japanese TV Episodes

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 am

Now that the Archives of Evangelion have been released, how do people compare it to the Second Impact Box? Or for that matter, to any other release that features the series before it underwent Renewal changes? Authenticity to the original and quality are what concern me most.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”