Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Ghost in the Shell Arise

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Has anybody seen the announcement for the new Ghost in the Shell anime?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-15/ghost-in-the-shell-arise-anime-to-launch-in-2013

I'm personally a big fan of the TV series. I'm hoping this will live up to its greatness.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:*reads link* Ah I always avoid that potpourri thread circular jerky. So there's some irateness that they've changed some things and are rebooting and it's not a season 3 with the same production crew etc. Honestly I'm fine with that.

Why? That crew is what made the show what it is. Take them away and you wind up with a very different animal.

Also so much 'bawwww' about the art design, outfit, etc? I'm definitely giving this a chance, besides it looks awesome.

It looks about twenty years out of date.

Speaking of outfits and looks, my god the 1st season SAC 'outfit' she wore was downright embarrassing.

That was the point.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I for one welcome our new animal. Unless it turns out to suck on its own merits. Which we'll find out eventually.

I see no reason to welcome it until it proves itself. Most GitS I've seen distinctly failed to impress, with SAC being the lone exception (and that due to a combination of writing, production, and music, none of which will be done by the same crew this time around).

Which is not to say you shouldn't look forward to it, of course. It's not my intent to tell you what you should and shouldn't like (sorry if it comes across that way). I'm just noting that there are reasons for our ambivalence in the other thread.

The point was for it to be embarrassing fetishwear,

Yes, that was exactly the point. It's bizarre if you're not familiar with the rest of the franchise, but once you realize why it's there it makes sense. I'm not a fan of it myself, but it was not an arbitrary or (solely) fanservicy decision.

And besides, I'll bet you any amount of money we'll get plenty of trashy Motoko in Arise just like we do in the rest of the franchise. It's a core part of the premise.
Last edited by Bagheera on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Looks good. I've been slowly re-watching SAC recently with an episode or two a week, so I can get behind this.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Ghost in the Shell Arise

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I'm personally a big fan of the TV series. I'm hoping this will live up to its greatness.

I'm not all that sold on the Motoko design shown in the poster/teaser, but I will be looking out for reviews after a few episodes have aired.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:...so I can get behind this.

heheheheheheh
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

:sly:

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Is this supposed to be a reboot? Definitely something to look out for.
About the art. Having seen the movies and read the manga prior to watching the show I was never a fan of the art style in SAC, it always seemed to me like a rather bland compromise between Oshii's gritty realism and Shirows zany cartoon-ness. So I can't say I'm pissed that they're changing it, even if I don't find Arise's style terribly inspired either based on the one picture we have.
Ideally they'd just adopt the look of the Playstation game.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 pm

People have been harping on the design but what I really want to see is how the story is going to be this time around. What I liked about 2nd Gig was how Section 9 became involved with a wider threat to Japan and we got a glimpse of what the rest of the world is like. Also going into the other members' backgrounds some more and going beyond Kusanagi, although she epitomizes GiTS and it's practically impossible to leave her out for too long. And probably the tanks are **chikoma or something else this time also.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 am

Something from earlier in Makoto's career is not likely to be as good. Having an established Section 9 is actually a pretty good base for a whole lot of the stories we've seen so far, and showing them putting together the entire section wouldn't nearly be as fun.

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:The point was for it to be embarrassing fetishwear, tarnishing a show that is so thoughtful and good that otherwise it'd be fine to show friends and family saying 'hey checkout this awesome anime' but instead it's 'I realize that's not really her ass, but why does she always have to show us her ass?'

True. The fetishism in the first season was definitely embarrassing.

As for the art style, there's something about it that's just...off. If the storywriter is an incompetent hack, that's a big "uh-oh" to me.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Something from earlier in Makoto's career is not likely to be as good. Having an established Section 9 is actually a pretty good base for a whole lot of the stories we've seen so far, and showing them putting together the entire section wouldn't nearly be as fun.
Actually, I think that could be pretty great. SAC established that the Major, Batou, and Ishikawa were old war comrades, picking up Saito along the way. Togusa was always detective, and although Paz and Borma don't play much of a role at all in anything other than SAC, they're supposed to be ex-Yakuza and ex-military as well. And Aramaki's portrayed as having always been something of a military-political wildcard. How and why Aramaki went about forming Section 9 strikes me as being a great story to explore. There's a lot there with a lot of potential, but it would require some quality writing to pull off, which is my only fear.

and are you guys complaining about Kusanagi's ass? It's a fine ass, when it isn't a QUALITY-blob. I was kind of disappointed we didn't get any cyborg lesbosex scenes, honestly. A lot of Kusanagi's character was toned down for SAC (or outright rewritten for the films), like her sense of humor and her wild side.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Motoko's fashion sense just seemed really out of place. While the rest of Section 9 wore regular civilian clothes, she was walking around in a leotard.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Honestly, the new character design doesn't bother me too much. Like many others, as long as the story is solid, I could care less. Her outfit in 1st Gig was horrendous, and that was still a quality series.

Somehow, though, yeah, she looks younger. I think this could end up being a prequel of sorts. Personally, I'd like to see something to bridge the gap between 2nd Gig and Solid State Society. Why did Motoko leave Section 9, anyway?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

To be honest I don't recall having any issues the Major's 1st GIG outfit, though certain shots of her in the first season are out of place indeed.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Why did Motoko leave Section 9, anyway?

Something about her not being able to save the Hideo Kuzae fellow from getting a fatal injection in the back of a van, IIRC.
Voluntary Illusion.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 am

Just watched the GitS live channel

http://youtu.be/VfHdMgR7_HI

4 about 50 min OVA
22/06/13 release for the first
Full cast

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14535.html

They also said CSI is their inspiration for it and announced some kind of GitS MMO game or somethin'

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 am

that ugly red-emphatizing un-GitSlike art direction

those horrid character designs, Kusanagi in particular looks just as bad in animation as in concept art

hue hue hue gits CSI Japan plz

Cornelius groaning inducing "ghooost ghooost ghoost" shit flinging music that sounds way too flimsy for the franchise

as the youtube uploader said "How about bringing Kamiyama back instead"

yet I'm still going to watch it. Fuck me.

Return to “Anime and Manga”