Geofront/Moon Stuff

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Kaworu and Shinji are chilling in the night, looking at the stars :

At night, the light which let us see something comes from the sunlight reflected through the Moon, that's why we see very clearly at night during a full moon, and it's pitch black during the new moon...

Except in the post-3I world the Moon has kinda permanently moved on Earth, so from where the hell the light comes from? :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby gchristnsn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote: so from where the hell the light comes from? :tongue:

They're on the bottom of a kind of deep well, so even there is light pollution, there is no other source than Milky Way.

Here a dump of thoughts on the topic.

Shinji's suit is actually pressure suit, it was noticed that this may be a reference to Kubricks's Odyssey 2001 (there were similar pressure suits, but with bells and whistles). Monolith may be also from there and this may be a yet another hint for the extraterrestrial origin of the monoliths.
He needs a pressure suit, because the Moon had stolen some atmosphere and it's hard to breeze at such altitude.
Normal atmospheric pressure inside the pyramid is supported by AT-field generated by that spikes. During the 4I there was shining on the spikes like the shining of AT-field on the fleet carried by Wunder.

SPOILER: Show
A short guide to NGE

- Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones. - Occam's razor
- Since we can never know anything for sure, it is simply not worth searching for certainty; but it is well worth searching for truth; and we do this chiefly by searching for mistakes, so that we have to correct them. - Karl Popper

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:21 pm

View Original Postgchristnsn wrote:He needs a pressure suit, because the Moon had stolen some atmosphere and it's hard to breeze at such altitude.

One would assume the suit is mainly a comfort thing. It might be necessary to help him breathe, but I honestly doubt that's it. Far more likely IMO it's simply cold and windy up there. I would guess it's most practical purpose is to protect him temperature extremes. I don't recall any sign of an oxygen cylinder.

But if they're on the outside of the GeoFront/NERV pyramid... that pyramid used to be at ground level. The impression we're given is that the ground was excavated (practically the length of the elevator shaft). So how is he THAT high, if what he's standing on used to be below ground level?

The only way it kind of works is if, in addition to excavation of the upper shell of the GeoFront, the NERV pyramid was lifted skyward. And reorganized internally, as others have noted.

Where WAS Shinji standing when he got his view? On a staircase down the outside of the pyramid? Which way was he facing? Outwards? We can only assume so. But logically, at that height he couldn't easily see the Eva shapes - the Failures of Infinity - that are so far below busting out of buildings? Those buildings must be down on what is now the surface of the GeoFront, but the pyramid is SO high that he needs a suit - presumably because at that altitudes and wind speed, it would be pretty darn cold. Like looking out the window of a plane.

It's very strange. Quite a lot must have changed.
Last edited by Charsi on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby gchristnsn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:30 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:But if they're on the outside of the GeoFront/NERV pyramid... that pyramid used to be at ground level. The impression we're given is that the ground was excavated (practically the length of the elevator shaft).

The only way it kind of makes sense is if, in addition to excavation downwards, the NERV pyramid was lifted skyward (and reorganized internally).

It seems, that these leaves of earth are at the level of Tokyo-3, so it is high above the ground level. That strangely shaped dogma may had been pulled by something from the bottom or from above with gravity of a black hole as during the 4I.
A short guide to NGE

- Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones. - Occam's razor
- Since we can never know anything for sure, it is simply not worth searching for certainty; but it is well worth searching for truth; and we do this chiefly by searching for mistakes, so that we have to correct them. - Karl Popper

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:33 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:But if they're on the outside of the GeoFront/NERV pyramid... that pyramid used to be at ground level. The impression we're given is that the ground was excavated (practically the length of the elevator shaft).

The only way it kind of makes sense is if, in addition to excavation downwards, the NERV pyramid was lifted skyward (and reorganized internally).

And that's exactly what happened(the lifted skyward part at least) :

SPOILER: Show
[wkimg]Eva3-33 C0812B comp.jpg[/wkimg]

NERV pyramid and a big chunk of the installations are inside the inverted pyramid, so when Kaworu and Shinji saw the desolated landscape, they were in a railing installed on the external side of the inverted pyramid, so maybe the combination of high altitude(they are higher than the Mount Fuji!) and the Moon sucking part of the local atmosphere is why Shinji needs a pressurized suit(although an oxygen tank could have been enough too), as for Kaworu he can chill in the vacuum of space, so a place with few oxygen is nothing for him. I wonder why Shinji didn't asked him how did he do it...
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I wonder why Shinji didn't asked him how did he do it...

Movie magic. Anyway, I believe that, like many of the other posts have been implying, that the suit was simply a comfort thing. It's the explanation that makes the most sense.

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:Ah yes, I've seen that image! Anyway, my taking on it is like this:
So where Shinji, ReiQ and Kaworu are hanging out is just above Central Dogma, and ReiQ spends her time waiting for orders naked in her "room" and taking baths inside the Central Dogma Reiquarium tube.
And Terminal Dogma is where Lilith's decapitated body, and her creepy Rei head, Mk. 06 and the lances are, right?

Pretty much all the Geofront, NERV HQ and Tokio-3 are gone and the inverted pyramid with the shaft are exposed... no wonder everybody hates Baka-Shinji.

Just for reference:

But look at this picture from when Shinji first arrives at Tokyo 3 again and takes the shuttle down to the geofront and sees that you can still see the sky from the geofront and says "it really has been 14 years..."

Look at this image when he looks down at the geofront...

So that inverted pyramid on top of that pole doesnt seem to be anywhere near the old NERV HQ so if thats the case, where exactly is that? Its coming out of terminal dogma right? or are they on the surface when they are looking at all that devestation and its where the tokyo 3 city used to be on the surface? where exactly does that long rod go down to? terminal dogma? Liliths room i guess or where Liliths headless body was?
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Old Nerv HQ is inside of the inverted pyramid. It's at the bottom of it along with what used to be the pool. They are probably near outer layer of the inverted pyramid. That's the only logical answer at this point. In order to see the world outside, they either need to get on top of the pyramid or be on the outer layer of the pyramid. It didn't seem like the top so it has to be outer layer. We don't know why there is even such walkway is there since well...we don't know what the hell is the pyramid, what it used to be or what it's for. The vertical shaft goes down to the Black Moon and it also "supports" the inverted pyramid. It ultimately leads down to the Lilith's Chamber which is most likely located inside of the Black Moon. I do believe there was a diagram that explains all this although it wasn't a hundred percent accurate, it gives you the general idea.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:34 pm

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:But look at this picture from when Shinji first arrives at Tokyo 3 again and takes the shuttle down to the geofront and sees that you can still see the sky from the geofront and says "it really has been 14 years..."

Look at this image when he looks down at the geofront...

So that inverted pyramid on top of that pole doesnt seem to be anywhere near the old NERV HQ so if thats the case, where exactly is that? Its coming out of terminal dogma right? or are they on the surface when they are looking at all that devestation and its where the tokyo 3 city used to be on the surface? where exactly does that long rod go down to? terminal dogma? Liliths room i guess or where Liliths headless body was?
that diagram is one of the first ones I made when all we had was the camrip, we've moved past that months ago, check further into this thread and you'll see my more updated diagrams and pan-shots.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 pm

I was going through the Classfied Information after the huge Editorium/Discussion conflict on the CI's canonicity, when the last item jumped out at me.
Geofront

D. In-Depth Information

Initially, the White Moon — containing Adam — fell to Earth. The Black Moon, which originally should have gone to a different solar system, was captured by Earth's gravity, and, after it crashed into the Earth's surface and bounced, it became a satellite orbiting the planet. It left behind only its ruins and remained in the heavens, and Lilith, the Seed that the Black Moon had carried, was implanted into Earth. Lilith's landing site is believed to have been in the vicinity of what is now called the South Pole, but it was later moved by tectonic plates, ultimately as far as the Hakone region of Japan. That site is the giant cavern of Hakone, and the future Nerv Headquarters would be constructed here.

Bolded the relevant portion for emphasis.

Now this portion appears more or less the same for Rebuild - we don't know for certain if there was a second Geofront under Antarctica in the new continuity, but this seems like the only logical explanation for why the moon looks the way it does Post-3I. The chalice-like thing that spirals upwards from the Earth is just part of Lilith's Black Moon, and the rest of it is Earth's moon. It's as though the mess that formed on Earth's surface was restricted to the portion where the original Black Moon hit, and the rest of the Earth's moon is being reset into a spacecraft for Lilith.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Another CI passage I have issues with. The Geofront is fairly clearly identified as the Black moon in NGE, not a fragment. Perhaps the colossal "entry plug" moon shown in 3.0 is this original, and the GUFO is the original Geofront. Perhaps.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Another CI passage I have issues with. The Geofront is fairly clearly identified as the Black moon in NGE, not a fragment.

CI, First Ancestral Race, D wrote:Within a carrier known as a "Moon", the First Ancestral Race fabricated a perfect cavity (also referred to as a "Moon"), at which point the Seed, or "Progenitor Entity", would be placed inside and sent out into space. That was their technology, and, from the perspective of Angels, humans, and others, they might be called gods.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that. Looks like the CI actually makes sense here.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Another CI passage I have issues with. The Geofront is fairly clearly identified as the Black moon in NGE, not a fragment. Perhaps the colossal "entry plug" moon shown in 3.0 is this original, and the GUFO is the original Geofront. Perhaps.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the colossal "entry plug" moon shown in 3.0?

You talking about the moon with all the red crosses probably splattered out of blood on it shown when Kaworu is showing Shinji the post N3I damage?

If so where do you see an entry plug on it, and why call it an "entry plug" moon?
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 am

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:Can you please clarify what you mean by the colossal "entry plug" moon shown in 3.0?

I'm referring to Chao's theory about the Black Moon seen in 3.0 bearing resemblance to an entry plug.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I'm referring to Chao's theory about the Black Moon seen in 3.0 bearing resemblance to an entry plug.

So you guys think the bllack moon could be an entry plug type thing.. only being could fit in a entry plug that size would be lilith.. so she's gonna use it to pilot the moon which will turn into a super advanced FAR spaceship ;) after she merges with Rei gets her soul back and turns into a GNR of course..

Final battle after Shinji or Rei kills gendo is eva 01 (which will have turned into a complete god by then) vs GNR lilith in the giant moon spaceship which morphs into a giant mecha much like gurren lagan?!? :)
Fav animes -

thezeppo1138
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thezeppo1138 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:46 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:Old Nerv HQ is inside of the inverted pyramid. It's at the bottom of it along with what used to be the pool. They are probably near outer layer of the inverted pyramid. That's the only logical answer at this point. In order to see the world outside, they either need to get on top of the pyramid or be on the outer layer of the pyramid. It didn't seem like the top so it has to be outer layer. We don't know why there is even such walkway is there since well...we don't know what the hell is the pyramid, what it used to be or what it's for. The vertical shaft goes down to the Black Moon and it also "supports" the inverted pyramid. It ultimately leads down to the Lilith's Chamber which is most likely located inside of the Black Moon. I do believe there was a diagram that explains all this although it wasn't a hundred percent accurate, it gives you the general idea.

Respectfully, new Nerv is not in the inverted pyramid. Gendo & gang are still in the ruins of the Geofront. When Unit-13 grows wings and starts flying up towards the inverted pyramid, it shoots out a wide square shaft at the top. You have to pause really quick to see it. Also as the shaft is destroyed by Unit-13 as it breaks apart it becomes thousands of "Failures of Infinity" falling. Wierd.

As for the big red teeth, the only connection I have seen so far is when Rei merges with Lilith in EOE, she goes in an opening of teeth. There are a lot of connections between the aftermath of 3rd Impact in 3.33 & EOE. I'm watching it right now to see what other visual cues I might can connect to see if it helps us figure out what happened to the landscape.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:14 pm

View Original Postthezeppo1138 wrote:Respectfully, new Nerv is not in the inverted pyramid. Gendo & gang are still in the ruins of the Geofront.

And those ruins *are* in the pyramid.

Th3Marauder
Lilith

Just to clear something up...

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:17 pm

In 3.33, during Forth Impact the gigantic chalice like object that rises from the ground and towards the Doors to Guf is not The Black Moon itself, it is Dogma. It's nowhere near big enough to be the Black Moon.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 pm

The script specifically labels the giant chalice as the Black Moon.

Besides if the information from the videogame about the Seeds of Life apply to Rebuild, a SoL "Moon" is made of two parts : the outer shell that protect the main structure, being the size of the Moon(in fact, Lilith's Black Moon outer shell IS our Moon), and an inner structure, codenamed "Black Moon" for Lilith's and "White Moon" for ADAM's, which protect the SoL situated at its center, and which is also the structure that get "implanted" in the planet the Moon(outer shell) crashes into.

And the chalice in 3.0 is really huge : it completely obliterate the ruins of Tokyo-3 when emerging, and is various order of magnitude bigger than the Mount Fuji!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”