[NO SPOILERS] Mari's Age?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

[NO SPOILERS] Mari's Age?

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:54 am

I'm sorry to waste your time
but could anyone tell me Makinami-san's
Age? :coffee:
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』
『Hope Always Remains.In The End』

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:03 am

....the best answer to your question based on general appearance alone would probably be "around the same age as Asuka/Shinji etc. give or take a year"
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:07 am

She is clearly a growing lass, as her comments in Ha about the fit of her plug-suit make clear; so, barring any funny business about her, that would be early teens. As we can't even be sure about the other girls in the new continuity (is this Rei a clone only a few years old?), that has to be our best guess.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I was hearing that if you add the seiyuu's birthdate that would be her birthday but I want to know her birth year My guess is 15
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 pm

I have looked around for information but I found nothing so far. However, she looks like 16 to me.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:55 pm

There's a discussion of Mari, including her age, in the Q subforum here; don't go to it if you're avoiding spoilers, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:54 pm

One would have to look through all the info articles released in magazines and the like.

My guess would be that she's Kaworu's age. Anno DID tell sadamoto to make her more "adult like"/ slightly more developed than the other girls (he also explicitly demanded the boobs, the hairstyle was Sadamoto's own idea) so she may indeed be a tidbit older.

But it is fully possible to posses such... characteristics at 14/15. I had them at that age, now, if only the rest of me was as good-looking as the rest of Mari...Same goes for secondary characteristics on males, actually, my brother had a lot of stubble at 14.
Cue joke involving genderbending and a certain moustachetastic nintendo character.
"It's-a-me, Mario!"
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:21 pm

I'd say 14, but knowing how animu can make people look older or younger, she could be anywhere from 12 to 16.

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:24 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:One would have to look through all the info articles released in magazines and the like.

My guess would be that she's Kaworu's age. Anno DID tell sadamoto to make her more "adult like"/ slightly more developed than the other girls (he also explicitly demanded the boobs, the hairstyle was Sadamoto's own idea) so she may indeed be a tidbit older.

But it is fully possible to posses such... characteristics at 14/15. I had them at that age, now, if only the rest of me was as good-looking as the rest of Mari...Same goes for secondary characteristics on males, actually, my brother had a lot of stubble at 14.
Cue joke involving genderbending and a certain moustachetastic nintendo character.
"It's-a-me, Mario!"
Nice too know lol but yeah i was thinking the same thing because she is more Into stuff you know what I mean
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:55 am

If I recall correctly, the size of Rei and Asukas "Assets" changed frequently in the original series for whatever reason. So unless Mari's proportions are the same throughout the rebuild, it's possible that the boobs are just some minor fan-service regardless of her age.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

I assumed Mari's 15-16 because of her height (she's taller than the Children, although not as tall as Misato), her face and body shape (and 'assets') look more mature (albeit I understand there are animation inconsistencies here and there) and she seems to have been around for longer than the other kids.
Last edited by EvaBrothers on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Mari looks to be slightly older than the other pilots, about 15-16. I always pictured her being the same age as Kaworu since he had a slightly older look than the other children as well.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:20 pm

She's underage, that's all we need to know.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 pm

It is worth mentioning that the CR apparently indentifies her as the fourth child. Implying she was recruited sometime during 1.0
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It is worth mentioning that the CR apparently indentifies her as the fourth child.

I think we need a cite for this before spreading it around wantonly. ("2.0 CRC" isn't good enough, since the book is huge.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:I assumed Mari's 15-16 because of her height (she's taller than the Children, although not as tall as Misato), her face and body shape (and 'assets') look more mature (albeit I understand there are animation inconsistencies here and there) and she seems to have been around for longer than the other kids.

This.

I always made the assumption that she was probably either in her last year of Junior High (9th grade, at least in Japan) or possibly a first year High School student (10th grade, again in Japan). I doubt she's any older than that, unless we take in account the possibility about her being much older and "from the past" (not in a time travel-sort of way).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I also assumed based on looks/personality, Mari was the same age as NGE Kaworu (15), since we have no idea what's anybody's exact age in NME. (Unless I'm forgetting what the 1.11 and 2.22 booklets say.) At least Shinji, Asuka, and Rei are still in 8th grade (13/14) in both NGE and NME.

Tried searching on EGF through some 2.0 CRC interviews (e.g: Mari having been the Fourth Children in one of the drafts) but I haven't found anything yet. It is a lot to go through.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Mari is indeed a minor, but to be exact she is 15 years old. Thank you, 2.22 booklet! Besides, boob size has nothing to do with age. Anyone remember Yoko from Gurren Lagann? She was sixteen years old and in possession of breasts the size of Siamese watermelons. At the same time, there are child characters with head-sized breasts and adults with no chest at all. Boob size does not equal an age indicator.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:47 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Anyone remember Yoko from Gurren Lagann? She was sixteen years old and in possession of breasts the size of Siamese watermelons.

Forget if it was Newtype USA or Gainax's (now defunct) English website, but one of those claimed she was 14, same age as Simon. Of course, the underground people might have had a different concept of time/aging.

Anyway, can you copy and paste the whole section about Mari? I don't remember the Funimation 2.22 booklet saying she was 15. I believe all it mentioned was "a mysterious girl, pilot of Eva-05" or something along those lines.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 pm

So, Yoko's younger than I am. I say again, WHY.

Anyway, my finger slipped; Mari's actually 14, not 15. My bad there, I should have corrected it earlier. The packet claims that she's a Brit, and that she pilots unit 05; the age I picked up by doing some scrounging based on data from the packet. It's not explicitly there. I have a bad habit with that kind of thing; it's gotten me into trouble in the past. I'm trying to correct it.

On a completely off topic note, I believe that Siamese Watermelon would be an awesome custom title.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”