Anime does not equal Japanese cartoons

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xavierla
Adam

Anime does not equal Japanese cartoons

Postby Xavierla » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:40 pm

I know many of you will scoff at me for saying this but think about it for a second. By saying that all Japanese cartoons are anime is like saying that if the Japanese were to make a cartoon like the Simpsons it could be considered anime and I don't think this is the case. I see anime as a sub medium of animation that was merely invented by the Japanese but can be done by anime. Anime is short for the Japanese word animēshon which means cartoon, NOT Japanese cartoon CARTOON. That's just me.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:52 pm

In the Anglosphere, "anime" is generally understood to refer to animation made by the Japanese* for the Japanese, and has basically come to replace that unfortunate portmanteau "Japanimation". That "anime" is intrinsically a borrowed term that the Japanese themselves use to refer to all animated film is ultimately inconsequential, so long as we're speaking a language other than Japanese.

* Use of outsourcing notwithstanding.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:11 pm

anime = animation

literally.

in fan use outside Japan itself

anime = animation from Japan

that's all there is to it. I think this is simple and useful scenario

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:13 pm

You have to realise that Betty Boop is the spiritual grandmother of all the big-eyed small-mouthed cute ~uguu~; from consciously copying American styles in the middle of last century, Japanese animation has simply evolved in a different direction from a common base.

Then, you have to factor in the "don't lump me in with all that otaku faggotry" effect that makes Miyazaki deny that what he produces is anime.

And on the gripping hand, the Japanese will refer to foreign animated material as anime anyway.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:04 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You have to realise that Betty Boop is the spiritual grandmother of all the big-eyed small-mouthed cute ~uguu~; from consciously copying American styles in the middle of last century, Japanese animation has simply evolved in a different direction from a common base.

There's actually a Betty Boop cartoon that addresses that, or at least, uses that awareness for use in a cartoon, apparently because the Fleischer studio was aware of that appeal.

Here it is, "A Language On My Own".
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Xard wrote:in fan use outside Japan itself, anime = animation from Japan. that's all there is to it. I think this is simple and useful scenario

It's not just "fan use" anymore, since it's been adopted by the actual industries that sell and distribute the stuff, replacing the term "Japanimation" as I noted.

Saying it's just "animation from Japan" quickly runs into problems; the additional qualifier that it's created first and foremost for a Japanese audience is needed. Otherwise, the term "anime" has to include a huge number of gaijin productions (by such names as Rankin-Bass, Disney, and Warner Bros.), on account of the fact that Japanese studios were utilized.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Yes. It does.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:08 am

C.A.P wrote:Here it is, "A Language On My Own".

I never noticed how creepy Betty Boop is until now, with that weirdly shaped head and no neck, what a horrendous aberration.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:22 am

The first animated features from Japan were pre-war imitations from the West, especially that of Walt Disney's early works. These ran for something like ten to twenty minutes, and the characters almost shared the same looks.

From what I know, they're very far different from what's being produced today.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:06 am

What really puzzles me are the imitations of Japanese anime, should we call them anime too even though they don't come from Japan?
Talking about it, Steel Wings when?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:What really puzzles me are the imitations of Japanese anime, should we call them anime too even though they don't come from Japan?

No more than the Scott Pilgrim movie is a video game, I'd say.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:07 am

^ Movies and video games are different formats so that's a different case.

The western "imitations of anime" are essentially imitations of the style that is stereotypically considered anime-like. I don't see any terminological confusion in this case because these imitations do not fall under the definition we have established in this thread. It's just stylistically anime-like animation made outside Japan.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 am

yeah, "animesque" or "anime inspired" are enough - just like PSG is anime inspired by western animations and not some odd hybrid either

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:31 pm

I just think it puts too many limitations on other artists out there.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Baz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, neither can the Japanese call their whisky Scotch.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:29 pm

^
Oh, they can do it, Parmesan and the likes taught us more than a lesson about it.
View Original PostOz wrote:It's just stylistically anime-like animation made outside Japan.

Too long, people will call them just anime. More seriously, I'm confused about this topic, on one hand I feel bad when patchworks like Robotech are qualified as anime, on the other hand I'm fine with using this term in the regards of original animation works inspired by Japanese animation.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 am

For comparison, would you call Scott Pilgrim manga?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:40 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Too long, people will call them just anime.

If it's too long to call them "anime-like" (or any of the words Xard mentioned) then "people" are just lazy. I used the longer and more precise definition in order to create a contrast between that and the definition of anime brought up in this thread.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:For comparison, would you call Scott Pilgrim manga?

I wouldn't. It's just a western comic that happens to have perceived similarities with manga, but then again even manga is an umbrella term (in terms of style, content and so forth) for Japanese comics just as anime is an umbrella term for Japanese animation. However, many stores categorize it under manga because the target group is similar and it's more convenient for the stores to have manga and Scott Pilgrim next to each other.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:40 am

But I don't see why it has to be from Japan.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 am

Because that's the only thing that genuinely separates anime from animation in general. It just happened so that Japanese animation in particular received special attention on a worldwide scale and people began to refer to it with a specific term that differentiated it from animation made elsewhere. There isn't really anything else to it other than this obvious fact.

Return to “Anime and Manga”