The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:Ah, so "plug depth" refers to the pilot's actual physical position, rather than how deep their mind is linked with the Eva's.

I've always taken it that plug depth is related to synchronisation rate. The effects of excessive synch rate in the series (Shinji reaches 400% when he is absorbed into the Eva) are similar to excessive plug depth in Ha (Shinji gets absorbed at the end of the film). I believe that what we know is not sufficient to make a clear distinction, and I suspect that the wiki articles are a bit more prescriptive than is wise in this case: synchronisation; plug depth.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:29 pm

pwhodges, you keep saying that Asuka cannot be an "Angel", despite

1. Me never actually saying that.
2. Lilin turning out to be Angels All Along in NGE, thereby nullifying any objections you're making on the grounds of that word anyway.

I feel the only reasonable conclusion to arrive upon (when every last hint intentionally placed in the films isn't rationalized away) is that Asuka is something NO LONGER LILIN. I used the word "transhuman". The movies haven't pulled out an exact term yet, but whenever they do you're going to have to live with it, so might as well get your body ready in advance.

Super-human qualities have never, in any way whatsoever, prevented audiences from relating to characters -- demigods, for instance, have been absurdly popular for millennia -- so it seems a whole lot of ado about absolutely nothing. You're claiming there's a problem where none exists.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Settie
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 pm

For me from NGE its GNR, from its initial black sclera and tiny red eyes to the final shot of its giant decapitated head on the horizon, the whole thing is unnerving and creepy. From NTE it's Gendos' Rei head collection, i mean just why did he keep em?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:pwhodges, you keep saying that Asuka cannot be an "Angel", despite
1. Me never actually saying that.

Nor did I claim you did.

2. Lilin turning out to be Angels All Along in NGE, thereby nullifying any objections you're making on the grounds of that word anyway.

"Mixed continuity error": we have not been told that in NTE, and I don't think Ritsuko tells us about the similarity between angel and human DNA either. (We're talking about Asuka in NTE.)

I feel the only reasonable conclusion to arrive upon (when every last hint intentionally placed in the films isn't rationalized away) is that Asuka is something NO LONGER LILIN. I used the word "transhuman". The movies haven't pulled out an exact term yet, but whenever they do you're going to have to live with it, so might as well get your body ready in advance.

I prefer to think she's still basically lilin, but modified; but obviously I'll roll with whatever we're told in the next film.

Super-human qualities have never, in any way whatsoever, prevented audiences from relating to characters -- demigods, for instance, have been absurdly popular for millennia -- so it seems a whole lot of ado about absolutely nothing. You're claiming there's a problem where none exists.

Fair enough - but I personally find such characters less relatable the further from normality they stray, though that varies very much according to how it's done.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.

StrokeMeGoat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:48 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've always taken it that plug depth is related to synchronisation rate. The effects of excessive synch rate in the series (Shinji reaches 400% when he is absorbed into the Eva) are similar to excessive plug depth in Ha (Shinji gets absorbed at the end of the film). I believe that what we know is not sufficient to make a clear distinction, and I suspect that the wiki articles are a bit more prescriptive than is wise in this case: synchronisation; plug depth.

I can't tell by how you worded things if you're arguing that plug depth isn't related to how deep the pilot's seat is within the plug or not, but in case you are, you can clearly see this is the case in this picture I made comparing two shots of it in Rebuild. I know Rebuild introduced a lot of new things to the series, but you can also see the same "track" that the pilot's seat/control console can move up or down along in shots inside the plug in the TV series. I used to think it meant something more abstract related to synch ratio too, but it's clear it's being a bit more literal than that.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Actually, the meaning in Rebuild does seem to be simply physical, I now acknowledge. The image below from Ha makes it explicit by labelling the levels. What is not explained, of course, is why they manufactured the ability to go beyond a safe depth...

You mention the series; but your images are from Jo. Do you have anything that makes it clear that this meaning is present in the series?

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”