The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:29 pm

Then my work here is done.
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:10 am

Just to nitpick... It is not Asuka who is ripped apart and eaten. It is Kyoko-sama (EVA-02). Asuka is just a little human inside an entry plug... Do you think those big, bad harpies really care about her?

There were some things that freaked me out the first time I saw NGE (EVA-01's eyeball in episode #02, learning the truth about Rei, and, ahem, KAWORU) that no longer bother me at all. On the other hand, there are some things that still manage to evoke a visceral reaction.

The encounter with Armisael in #23' is one of them. There are just so many WRONG things about this... The entire scene (in its elongated form) is just extremely disturbing. The futility and violation, along with such grotesque matters as that thing growing out of EVA-00's back, Armisael's Rei incarnation (the giggling! make it stop!), the mini-Reis growing out of Shinji's hands, Armisael being absorbed into EVA-00's core (ugh) and subsequently vanishing into thin air, and EVA-00 turning into a giant naked Rei after making some very disturbing vocalizations and spasming towards the Heavens.... Ugh, the entire thing just gives me the creeps.

Also, the whole encounter gives me a very pessimistic feeling, in that it reminds me of Misato's statement in #25' about how Angels and humans have rejected one another even though we are essentially the same thing. It's disturbing that Armisael would resort to such a method as corporeal violation to sate her loneliness and curiosity about others -- perhaps she didn't know any better (being an Angel and all), but, on the other hand, she also seemed to relish the pain that her victims felt. It also bothers me that Rei, after establishing a communication with Armisael, would resort to destroying herself, the Eva, and Armisael to prevent Shinji from becoming involved. I do have to wonder if a more diplomatic situation was not out of the question. This bothers me about the series as a whole... That even when the Angels aim to understand, rather than destroy, their opponents, the main characters reciprocate by destroying them.

What happens to Kyoko-sama in #25' disturbs me more than anything else in NGE. Asuka... For some reason, I didn't care as much about her. Sure, it's awful that she had to feel Kyoko's pain and all, but, with the exception of the Spear injuries, Asuka wasn't actually being disemboweled and eaten alive, which is what REALLY got me. Kyoko was the real unsung hero of #25'; she was the first to rouse to action when both mother and daughter were broken and hiding within themselves, but, when she did go out to fight, she made sure to take her daughter with her. It's such a sweet story, really... And it was so awful seeing her destroyed in such a cruel and disgusting manner. I really hate those harpies.

The MP Evas were pretty much disturbing on all counts. Of course, they got even worse when they sprouted those deformed Rei faces (or random deformed body parts). Revolting. And there is something profoundly disturbing about them all having orgasms as they skewered themselves to death. Not to mention that dying in bliss is far more than their wretched kind deserved.

Yui's ultimate fate, floating off into space, alone, for all eternity... The whole concept makes me feel very empty and desolate inside, to the point where, somehow, it disturbs me. It seems like the sort of fate no sentient being should have to endure, least of all Yui-sama, a character whom I admire a great deal. Despite Yui's claim that any place can be Heaven if one has the will to live, and such, it always felt to me that she is slated for one long, painful, uneventful Hell out there, with no reason to exist aside from proving that Humanity once was. What's the point, if there is no one to prove it to?

On the other hand, the times when EVA-01 beat the crap out of things mostly made me go, "Wow... That's the coolest thing I've ever seen!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:03 pm

asukas rotting head was really creepy...
as was when bardiels head popped

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:59 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:asukas rotting head was really creepy...
as was when bardiels head popped

EVA-03's head, you mean. Bardiel was just that greyish sticky fungus thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:46 pm

an interesting part of eva was on the either the 5-8 episodes when Shinji trys to give Rei her new id card
i laughed a lot in that part
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:45 am

ummm....this is the disturbing moments thread...

Tailgunner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tailgunner » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:43 pm

Ditto on eveything that everyone said.
UP THE IRONS!!!!

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:46 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:ummm....this is the disturbing moments thread...

the part i mentioned was also a bit disturbig as well
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:36 pm

oh...but you only said that it was funny...
also when the Rei clones started falling apart...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:59 am

sadsadshinji wrote:oh...but you only said that it was funny...
also when the Rei clones started falling apart...

And, somehow, they were giggling like freaks at the same time. Yeah, right!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:46 am

i thought those were cries...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:40 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:i thought those were cries...

No, they are most definitely giggles. Even the script says so.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:43 am

that is disturbing...

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:05 pm

my most disturbing part of evangelion was.......when it ended i hate endings right when its going good, just like books! I HATE ENDINGS
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Cyanna
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cyanna » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:47 pm

Hmmmm...I did a lot of reading and visiting Eva sites before I saw EoE or finished the series so plot-wise, nothing surprised me.

Nevertheless I did find some things disturbing because I didn't expect it to look/sound a certain way.

-Misato's memory of Second Impact.
-Like how the entry plug smells like blood and the way Shinji panics when he's trapped within Zeruel. I thought he was going to puke. And when Unit 01 escapes from Zeruel.
-When Bardiel tries to enter Unit 00 and Gendo orders the arm to be blown off while Rei is still mentally attached to the Eva.
-When Unit 01 smashes 03's face in and crushes the entry plug. I couldn't watch since I knew who was in it.
-Unit 01 eating Zeruel and just taking on this primative, animal personality.
-Little Asuka running down the hall so excited about being an Eva pilot just to find out that...
-Veiny Rei in episode 23
-The clones giggling as they rot away (combined with Ritsuko's crying)
-Waiting over a minute of no movement before Kaworu dies. I know it seems like rediculous amount of time. But I personally found it effective.

End of Eva is a totally new ballgame. There is little in there that didn't visually disturb me. I didn't expect the mass prods to feed on Unit 02 like oversized crows. The overwhelming death count and the realization that Geez! This is the end not just of Evangelion but existance as we all know it (as far as the series is concerned anyway). Few series end in such an apocalyptic way.

The part with the face of Rei appearing on the mass prods and stabbing themselves with the lances...those sounds they make...sounds like they're having an orgasm or something. The was creepy upon creepy.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:22 pm

Cyanna wrote:-Like how the entry plug smells like blood and the way Shinji panics when he's trapped within Zeruel. I thought he was going to puke. And when Unit 01 escapes from Zeruel.

You mean Leliel. I agree with you, I believe unit 01's escape from Leliel is one of the most horrifying scenes in Eva. Mostly becuase it is the first time the veiwer is suppose to realize how monstrous these beings are, and partly because Unit 01 winds up drenched in blood.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Cyanna
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cyanna » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:26 pm

Dave wrote:
Cyanna wrote:-Like how the entry plug smells like blood and the way Shinji panics when he's trapped within Zeruel. I thought he was going to puke. And when Unit 01 escapes from Zeruel.

You mean Leliel. I agree with you, I believe unit 01's escape from Leliel is one of the most horrifying scenes in Eva. Mostly becuase it is the first time the veiwer is suppose to realize how monstrous these beings are, and partly because Unit 01 winds up drenched in blood.

Grah....this is why I call them "Zebra Ball" and "Toilet Paper Angel" and other random nicknames in casual conversation. I'm always mixing up the names. ^^;

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:34 pm

I just recently read ummm...i think it was the volume 8(manga). It was the part where Retsuko is i think day dreaming about strangleing Rei.?

Tell me if this is correct!!
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:29 am

One thing that got my attention was after kaworu is killed, when unit 1 is in the shower with blood all over its hand.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:28 am

Cogboy wrote:One thing that got my attention was after kaworu is killed, when unit 1 is in the shower with blood all over its hand.

and why did this get your attention?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”