The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:48 am

All of EoE just tore me to shreds. There were some many scenes that I could believe. I was just shocked that Anno ripped apart his creation. My friend even zoomed on the part where Misato gets ripped in two by the explosion. That scene where the production model eva tear apart eva 02 was pretty frightening. But the wrost scene, for me at least, was when eva 01 burst out of Leliel. For as much as the bothing endings will stay with me, that scene will always be there in the back of my head.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Shinseki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinseki » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:10 am

max3000 wrote:Not quite on topic but this is quite disturbing...

..It's an Asuka bedsheat

I've got both that one and Rei's bedsheet. I hang them on the insides of my closet. :)

About the part that disturbed me somewhat: when Unit-01 arm got shot off my Zeruel. In all retrospect, feeling like your arm was just shot off while still having it is a strange taboo. Then I saw Asuka get lanced in the eye and that topped my freak out list.
Image Image Image

belial11737
Embryo

Asuka killed by eva series

•      
  •      

Postby belial11737 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:58 am

the most disturbing image in the whole eva cannon is whe Asuka, after fighting like never before is killed and devoured by the eva series.....especially disturbing is the part that as she is reahing upwards muttering "I'll kill you, I'll kill you" her arm is split in 2 by a lance of longinus

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:08 pm

Well...like I posted in the "Dream" thread in this forum...it seems Rei with black eyes and red irises stabs my brain. First, episode 18 with dummy plugged Unit 01 tearing Bardiel-possessed Unit 03 to pieces was what really got to me, but after I saw everything else after that.....ugh. I don't really know why those eyes disturb me now - I've drawn creepier things from my own imagination that don't bother me at all. Maybe it's b/c I've done some research on Rei lately for a possible essay, and found Lillith summonings...and then somehow I related that to mirror-in-the-dark games...you know, "Bloody Mary" and the like. Those mirror tricks are technically my only real fear due to a bad experience...haha. I'm still such a wussy kid...=P

I dunno if that made much sense....but I guess that's my pyschological correlation to how that could be disturbing to me. x_x

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:21 pm

I don't know about you, but the whole concept of Evangelion disturbs me. The idea that the Goverment would go that far to actually do these things. It's mostly the characters and Shiji's relationship with his father. The most disturbing part for me was the idea that the Evangelions are different versions of humans.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:35 pm

When i saw the Episode 23, when Rei III took off her bandages, and looked herself at the mirror, her face was SO SPOOKY !!! :shock:
It really freaked me out.
I don't know if that scene was modified in the director's cut, to look like that, but is a really spooky expresion:
*insert cool signature here*

Abaddon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:02 pm

See, this is much better.

Did u know, when eva-01 went berserk on eva-03, Shinji also felt the eva’s lustful fury. Evangelions and the Pilots are also connected on the Psychological level. When Gendo activated the dummy Plug and ordered it to destroy eva-03, Shinji also felt the eva’s bloodlust. So in a way, Shinji was feeling good about the slaughtering of this Angel, and at the same time he wanted to stop this massacre, he wanted to save the pilot’s life. So Shinji was forced to bear the yoke of Butchery, a yoke placed on him by his father. He was begging Gendo to turn the machine off, but his father just looked on and smiled at the bloodbath on his monitors. That is disturbing
Farwell happy fields, where joy forever dwells. Hail, Herrors, Hail abominations, and thy most profoundest hell, welcome your new ruler. One who's made is not changed by place or time. For the mind is it's own place, and can make a hell of heaven a heaven of hell. What matter where if I am eternally the same. Thus, for me, it is better to rule in hell then serve in heaven.

Slade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Slade » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:09 am

Heh yea I never really caught on to that until I watched the commentary on death&rebirth. When I found that out that scene to me seemed to take on a new significance.
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

EvaUnit01
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaUnit01 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:05 pm

This scene was pretty disturbing for me

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v67/EvaUnit01/Matrix_Eva_copy.jpg

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:13 pm

Ah... yes. Rei's floating head of death!
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Floating Chibi head of death!
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:03 pm

also when Rei was getting invaded by the angel...

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Disturbing, destressing, and deppressing

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:43 pm

Abaddon, I think you've basically nailed the very reason Evangelion is such a memorable, beloved, hard to kill, series.
Everyone who watches it is in some way disturbed, distressed, or deppressed. In short, it evokes a very emotional reaction on some level or another.

There are so many concepts and images in Evangelion that really stick like a splinter in the mind.

When I first started getting into Evangelion, I cruised the internet trying to find out more about this anime thing, and when i read about some of the stuff, that was in it, I was like, "oh come on, that can't really be in there can it?"

So even though by the time I saw the series and movies I knew every other thing that was going to happen it still had so much impact.
Evangelion has Kubrick like imagry, linked to well known religous and pyschological theories, tied together by a truly memorable cast.

As far as what disturbed me the most, I have to start with Eva-unit 01's release, it was so beastial. And a couple of episode later we find "Evas are Human" this was a better illustration on the dark side of human nature then A Clockwork Orange.
Are Evangelions what we could become? What we will become, or what we really are?

Ritsuko's break down at the end of episode 23 is so apropriate, it's chilling.
We see first hand Rei and Asuka's fates, and there is a feeling of utter despair come the end.

Which plays well into the next episode, which begins looking out at a lake full of wreckage.

Shinji's collapse in EoE is both understandable and very frustrating, and then when he returns to the Eva he is thrown into his own personal hell.
The first time I saw him surrounded by the Eva series and the massive Rei, there was that shot of his face, utterly insane, broken, and then Rei opens her eyes and he just starts screaming!

I remember thinking "leave him alone already."
Two scenes later, Kaouru reapears and Shinji's face is flooded with such great relief, it's just so human.

That scene for me, was at once one of the most disturbing, and emotionally powerful scenes in Evangelion.

Although, damn! There is something about a fourteen year old jacking off over a comotose girl that (as Shinji puts so well) reamins just
F***** up! :?
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

What is it you fear?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:34 pm

While we are on the subjecy Abaddon, what part (if any) of Eva disturbs you? Any ideas why?
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:56 pm

when eva 01 regrows it's eye in ep-2...

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:08 pm

When Eva unit 1 eats the angel and the S2 organ
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Abaddon
Embryo

Re: What is it you fear?

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:33 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:While we are on the subjecy Abaddon, what part (if any) of Eva disturbs you? Any ideas why?

I covered what parts of evangelion disturbed me the most in an earlier reply in this topic. Those are not the only parts of evangelion that disturb me, although other images disturb me more then others.

I watch a Sci-fi show called Scare Tactics. If you don’t know about I give you a little input. It’s a show where friends setup other friends in staged scenarios, in which they try to scare them. I notice a lot of times when people are faced with life threatening situations they will run away and forsake their friends and the people around them trying to save their own lives, that is most of the time. This reminds me of Shinji, he is like that throughout the series. Like so many selfish people, Shinji would rather avoid pain and responsibility, then stand up and do the right thing. I think, that really disturbs me about people and Shinji.

So would I run for my life (run away) or would I stand..
Last edited by Abaddon on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farwell happy fields, where joy forever dwells. Hail, Herrors, Hail abominations, and thy most profoundest hell, welcome your new ruler. One who's made is not changed by place or time. For the mind is it's own place, and can make a hell of heaven a heaven of hell. What matter where if I am eternally the same. Thus, for me, it is better to rule in hell then serve in heaven.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:19 am

in the short term, its easier to run away...however, your life becomes harder every time...

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Lose your life to keep it?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:36 pm

in the short term, its easier to run away...however, your life becomes harder every time...

You must lose your life to keep it? Good one.

It's kind of a never ending battle with our own instincts.
To telll the truth rather then Lie. To help a disliked person when doing so makes you disliked. To console someone, rather then ignore them.
To give someone unfortunate the things they need from your pocket or off your back.
To stay and defend a friend rather then save your own life.

"I musn't run away."

Truly living is like dying.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Disturbing?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:02 pm

So Shinji was forced to bear the yoke of Butchery, a yoke placed on him by his father. He was begging Gendo to turn the machine off, but his father just looked on and smiled at the bloodbath on his monitors. That is disturbing

True. Perhaps even more Disturbing is how the same thing happens on a different level every day.

Gendo was doing what he thought was right. He forced his son to do this in turn. Horrible things are done in the name of "love" or what is "right"

The more I think about it. The more I relize just why some of the things in Evangelion are as disturbing as they are.
A lot of them are either happening, or on the verge of happening.

The death of Asuka's mother, Shinji's utter abandonment, Naoko Akagi's murder/suicide Gedno's treatment of Ritsuko, Events like or worse then these happen every day. We just don't like to talk about them, because their disturbing.

And who hasn't met their own personal Rei at one time or another?
School rooms across the country are attended by acute introverts who can not interact with the people around them.

The underlying theme of Man making himself God is very important. It's what we try to do. What we pursue is a kind of absolute control. Or barring that, a escape into someplace safe and warm, were eveyone can love us. The entry plug.

And by and by, if a group of Angels came to earth, and began the apocalypse, do you think the Nations of man would just stand by and let it happen? No. They would fight it. Like NERV did.

That is one of Evangelions Disturbing face. Disturbing because it's happening and happens all around us.

Another side is far more Primal.
When Eva-unit-01 attacks unit-03, when Asuka's mind is butchered from the inside by the angel, when Rei is forced to make final (or not) sacrifice for Shinji, her body covered in mutated veins, a inner demon taunting her, a brief moment of clarity, and then the end.
When NERV headquarters is stormed, when Misato's prone body is blown apart, when the Eva series feed upon Eva-02, and when the people in NERV central begin to melt into piles of LCL.

It's so primal, it stirs something inside the human mind, defeat hopelessness, and pain. These are very primal emotions that evoke a very pure kind of fear. Fear of a horrible death.

Come to think of it, I kind of Disturbed myself writing all this down.
Time to stop.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”