Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Japan and english

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm not even sure if this should be here.

Anyway, it's no surprise to anyone that english is widely used in anime, but I started noticing that some words come off as very slangish, such as "lucky" and "chance". I wonder, how much of it is anime trope and how much is an actual reflection of Japanese speech behavior? Does anybody know?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm

It reflects it a lot. They're instances of "Japanese english" (they have own term for it, ie. english used by Japanese occasionally in ways natives don't).

Good example of this would be word "bicchi" which is simply how Japanese pronounces "bitch" but the meaning is actually that of slut and not bitch.

(this is something I learned after I wondered about the subtle difference between west and 2ch: Japanese fans called the girls they liked bitches instead of sluts, I thought. Then there was the tweeest)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 pm

From what I've heard, Japanese has adopted a lot of words from Western languages. Here's what Wikipedia had to say on it:

Wikipedia wrote:Incorporating vocabulary from European languages began with borrowings from Portuguese in the 16th century, followed by words from Dutch during Japan's long isolation of the Edo period. With the Meiji Restoration and the reopening of Japan in the 19th century, borrowing occurred from German, French, and English. Today most borrowings are from English.

Wikipedia wrote:In the past few decades, wasei-eigo ("made-in-Japan English") has become a prominent phenomenon. Words such as wanpatān ワンパターン (< one + pattern, "to be in a rut", "to have a one-track mind") and sukinshippu スキンシップ (< skin + -ship, "physical contact"), although coined by compounding English roots, are nonsensical in most non-Japanese contexts; exceptions exist in nearby languages such as Korean however, which often use words such as skinship and rimokon (remote control) in the same way as in Japanese.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm pretty sure it was Hiroyuki of 2ch and NicoNico who I heard say the Japanese youth considers English "cool."
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 pm

It's kinda like when we use words like faux, rucksack, vis a vis, lingerie, etc., etc.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I see, thanks for clarifying this, all of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:It's kinda like when we use words like faux, rucksack, vis a vis, lingerie, etc., etc.

It doesn't have to be even that exotic: there are even more common words that English has borrowed from Old Norse, Latin and Norman French ages ago and are used as ordinary English words these days. Loanwords, loanwords everywhere. Based on my own experience/intuition, some of those loanwords have reached similar status in Japan.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:55 am

It's probably more like what Xard describes, specifically in your examples. I think those words, however colloquial they may be, seem to only be written in katakana or hiragana but are readily used in spoken language (though I have no idea if they are regularly used in written language).

There's stuff like "バッグ" (literally, "bag") that are used for bags (paper bags, purses, shopping bags, garbage bags), when there are existing words for all kinds of bags, (like 鞄 or 袋) that aren't pronounced "bagu".

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 am

What I find more interesting is when they try to use English words with the same meaning and in the correct context and fail completely and hilariously at it.

A similar phenomenon that I just find funny is when the same word exists in two languages, but have wildly different meanings.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:35 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:What I find more interesting is when they try to use English words with the same meaning and in the correct context and fail completely and hilariously at it.

Well, one could argue that it is just their version of the word, so there is no real room for failure, I think.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:41 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Well, one could argue that it is just their version of the word, so there is no real room for failure, I think.

Well, mistaking "porking" for "parking" and using the former in the context of the latter makes for some hilarious traffic signs.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 pm

It's just evidence of the English-speaking world's cultural dominance.

Check out nadsat from A Clockwork Orange, I think a scientist-type in that narrative actually referred to it as a form of Communist propaganda.

The use described here isn't really propaganda in the deliberate sense, but when everyone wants to talk like Tony Stark, its about the same as if there was insidious government motive.

I've read at least one academic paper on the subject, but that was long ago. Anyone really interested should find a library with an active JSTOR account and do a search on predatory lexicons, or something.

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:48 am

View Original PostXard wrote:It reflects it a lot. They're instances of "Japanese english" (they have own term for it, ie. english used by Japanese occasionally in ways natives don't).

Wasei-eigo ('Japanese-made English')?

A.T. Fish wrote:I'm not even sure if this should be here.

Anyway, it's no surprise to anyone that english is widely used in anime, but I started noticing that some words come off as very slangish, such as "lucky" and "chance". I wonder, how much of it is anime trope and how much is an actual reflection of Japanese speech behavior? Does anybody know?

No one speaks in 'pure' Japanese nowadays. ;)
Last edited by pat457 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 am

View Original Postpat457 wrote:Wasei-eigo ('Japanese-made English')?

That was it, yeah.

Another good example of wasei-eigo word would be "skinshippu"

(edit: of course in my first post "girls they like" should be "girls they dislike", derp)

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 am

View Original PostXard wrote:That was it, yeah.

Another good example of wasei-eigo word would be "skinshippu"

(edit: of course in my first post "girls they like" should be "girls they dislike", derp)

Another is using renji (レンジ, in full denshi renji 電子レンジ) for 'microwave'. Tsuinteeru (ツインテール) also counts.

A.T. Fish wrote:I'm not even sure if this should be here.

No one speaks in 'pure' Japanese nowadays. ;)
Last edited by pat457 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:05 am

View Original Postpat457 wrote:Tsuinteeru (ツインテール) also counts.

Isn't ツインテール just "twintails"? In that case use of word is identical between "normal" English and wasei-eigo and it would just be a loan word, I think.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:15 am

I hadn't thought about it before, but twintails could be an expression that some English speakers/writers have in turn borrowed from the Japanese word that was originally a calque from English. Fascinating. By googling, I couldn't find dictionary entries or definitions for it and found only "pigtails" instead of it so it's most likely a word not accepted by dictionaries yet.
Last edited by Oz on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:15 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Isn't ツインテール just "twintails"? In that case use of word is identical between "normal" English and wasei-eigo and it would just be a loan word, I think.

Tsuin-teeru is usually identified as wasei-eigo; in fact, that term was originally otaku slang. I've actually heard of the term not being familiar to some non-otakus even today: some of the more 'standard' terms for the hairstyle are o-sage (おさげ), futatsu-yui (二つ結い) or futatsu-musubi (二つ結び), or 'two side-up' (ツーサイドアップ tsuu saidoappu, another wasei-eigo). The exact origins of the term is unclear: some attribute it to the name of a monster in the The Return of Ultraman or as a corruption of 'two-tails' (tsuuteeru). We also don't know when it came to be used, although the Japanese Wikipedia reports usage starting from the early 1990s.

P.S. The English term is apparently 'bunches', 'angel wings' or 'pigtails'.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:40 am

oh wow

well now you guys are seeing the effects of living immersed in otaku culture for years. :lol: I'd completely forgotten pigtails, not twintails, is the "natural" English word for the Quess handlebars.

yup, twintails is example of wasei-eigo then :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 am

View Original Postpat457 wrote:We also don't know when it came to be used, although the Japanese Wikipedia reports usage starting from the early 1990s.

P.S. The English term is apparently 'bunches', 'angel wings' or 'pigtails'.

Her, maybe? Usagi was apparently one of the first twin-tailed characters and the manga/anime started in 1992.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Anime and Manga”