Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I'd go with eyelid damage. Even if the light were super strong, there would at the very least be a lowering of brightness.

G lVlan
Embryo

Okay..

•      
  •      

Postby G lVlan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I know this sounds crazy, but with how this whole thing is going, I like my idea.... But I shall tell my whole story.

Was thinking to myself about an hour ago "self, do you remember those crazy fucked up white Eva's that Asuka shit on before getting ripped apart?"
"Why yes, where was that again?"
"Uhhh... Neon Genesis, Duh."
"Right, but what EPISODE?"
"pfft, 25, you chump"

So I watch episode 25 ( Not the redo, silly me ) and notice hey, no white Eva's, only idiots that hate themselves.

So I say to myself "Self, you are clearly wrong about it being episode 25 of NGE..."
"Well, yeah, cause I meant the fucking End Of Evangelion."
"ohh.... I see (ya prick)"

So I go, and watch that scene were Asuka goes out and kills 9 white Eva units in 3 minutes, and then BOOM! Lance of Longinus wannabee to the LEFT EYE OF HER EVA! I stop the movie, and say to myself "Self, do you really think that is why that chick has a motherfucking eyepatch in 3.33?!?!?!"
"Shit. No, it can't be, different universe/timezone/galaxy/reality/dimension"
"Touche, self."

Carry on with movie. Next striking part. At the ear end of EOE, Big Rei/Lilith with sliced in half head yada yada gooey feely yada yada. Oh WHAT'S THAT?!? a unit 01?! Floating in space?!?
"Well Self, I guess I must concede, because If I recall correctly, beginning of 3.33, what are they doing? GETTING A FUCKING UNIT 01 FROM SPACE!"

AND SO, I have now brought myself to the conclusion, universes intertwined, 0 doubt about it. Please prove me wrong I do not want to believe it. Evidence is there (except Asuka's 2 different ways of goin down [a spear in her eye, corruption by an angel, only 2 options] and she survives in EOE so I do not know)

TL;DR Intertwined Series of EOE and Rebuild? ( eyepatch related )
G-Man

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 pm

The so-called "sequel theory" has popped up a few times, but in this case there is absolutely nothing to support your suggestion. If you watched Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 (the films before 3.33) then you'd find out fairly quickly that the Rebuild films seem to be set in an entirely separate continuity. Not to mention that Shinji was trapped in Eva-01 at the end of Rebuild 2.22, so there's no way EoE could have happened during the timeskip, as in EoE Shinji was up and about whereas in Rebuild he was trapped in Eva-01 and apparently wasn't recovered until the start of 3.33. As for Eva-01 floating in space, in EoE Eva-01 floated away into space with hair and was carrying the transformed Spear of Longinus, but in 3.33 she is trapped in a giant black cross without the Spear and is still in Earth orbit rather than floating away. Also in EoE Shinji was outside of Eva-01 when it floated away, but in 3.33 he is still trapped in Eva-01 in Earth orbit after the ending of 2.22. So EoE and 3.33 definitely aren't linked beyond a few random visual references.

Getting back to the topic, Asuka's left eye can't be related to the battle with the MP Evas, firstly because EoE and 3.33 exist in separate continuities as stated above. Additionally, we have no proof that Asuka was engaged in any sort of battle with any MP Evas prior to 3.33, as the Evangelion series seems to have gone up to Eva Mark.09 in the timeskip without any MP Evas being produced. The bizarre tendency of the eye to glow blue under certain conditions also seems to indicate that it wasn't a normal injury, and the only time Asuka could have sustained such an injury that we are aware of was when she was corrupted by Bardiel in 2.22.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

boyfrand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby boyfrand » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:48 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:My view on what's over Asuka's left eye:

It's a choker, just like the DSS Choker that bleeds red through Kaworu's plug suit as it primes, Asuka's Choker bleeds through her eye-patch when it needs to supress angelic power.

I totally agree with you, it explains why it still glows blue when her eye is closed, it's because the patch itself or something under the patch other than her eye is glowing blue.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 pm

My only objection to that is that Asuka doesn't seem to have any fear of her eye glowing blue, and she certainly doesn't seem to believe her eye is going to explode. In the DSS Choker's case the choker extended a ring of weird floating crystals, which clearly doesn't happen to the eyepatch.

And I'm nothing like you

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:My only objection to that is that Asuka doesn't seem to have any fear of her eye glowing blue, and she certainly doesn't seem to believe her eye is going to explode. In the DSS Choker's case the choker extended a ring of weird floating crystals, which clearly doesn't happen to the eyepatch.

Yeah. Also, while the choker was some piece of high-tech shit allegedly impossible to take off, the patch doesn't seem so sophisticated and, in any case, if they wanted to keep Asuka under control too they would just have put that very same dog collar thing on her. So I really think it's just a regular eye-patch meant to conceal whatever strange thing that is happening on Asuka's eye.
xϵ{0,1} ; PI: x²=x ; PNC: x(1-x)=0 ; PEM: x+(1-x)=1 —Boole
If our gods and hopes became scientific matters, why wouldn't our love as well?...
I offer you a scientific Eve. Chimere by chimere, sin by sin.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 am

View Original Postboyfrand wrote:I totally agree with you, it explains why it still glows blue when her eye is closed, it's because the patch itself or something under the patch other than her eye is glowing blue.

I rewatched 2.22 recently. Those pillars covered with glyphs? Damn it, they're everywhere, and I don't mean 3.33. As soon as you're looking for them you notice them all over the place. The eyepatch being another one - keeping a cover on the contamination, as it were - is entirely believable.

boyfrand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby boyfrand » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:My only objection to that is that Asuka doesn't seem to have any fear of her eye glowing blue, and she certainly doesn't seem to believe her eye is going to explode. In the DSS Choker's case the choker extended a ring of weird floating crystals, which clearly doesn't happen to the eyepatch.

I think maybe the eye patch is covering up a device underneath it, it's not the patch itself that is the device that glows blue.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:03 am

^It is important to note that Asuka's left eye also glows blue briefly while Asuka is watching Shinji escape with the Mark.09, even though Asuka is outside of her Eva and not in Beast Mode at the time. Which implies the blue glow may be linked directly to Asuka's emotional state rather than a sign that the eyepatch is about to explode. Unless it's set to do that whenever Asuka gets angry, which might be a risk for any other Wille staff around her.

And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:18 am

Unless I'm correct and Shikinami and Makinami are also clones, and the curse of Eva is just a way for Wille to hide the horrible truth. Maybe her head explodes all the time.

I'm only half kidding.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 am

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2705.html

Q:なぜ、彼女の目に眼帯を被せたんですか?

貞本:言っちゃいけない事になってます
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:46 am

Translation? My Bing is rendering it as 'makes things you can't say' which is pretty ambiguous...

And I'm nothing like you

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Translation? My Bing is rendering it as 'makes things you can't say' which is pretty ambiguous...

I'm just assuming that Sadamoto isn't at liberty to discuss why Asuka's eye is covered.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:33 pm

^
That's more or less what the article says : someone asked about why he put an eyepatch to Asuka, the underlying question being "what's under that eyepatch, why is her eye glowing?"(there is even an image of her eye glowing when Shinji escapes with Rei Q to illustrate that passage in the article), and Sadamoto simply answered that he can't talk about it.
The article even notes that the intervener don't seems to be allowed to talk too much.
Which is normal since there is still one movie left.

But the fact he's not allowed to talk about it means that it will be of a certain importance in FINAL.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Omoshiroi... :scheming:

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:36 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I has been noted in the first page, way back when the only thing we had was the camrip, but now with BD quality we can add nice images :

A little "funny" detail when she's in Beast Mode, the glows continues even when she close her eyes :
SPOILER: Show

So either her eyelid is damaged or missing and she can't even close her eye, or the glow is so strong that even when she closes her eyes it remain visible, which is really possible since said light is visible through an eyepatch(yet it's strange that the brightness doesn't diminish at least a little)

Could also be both.

There's a third option.

We don't know that much about the beast modes of the Eva units yet, though I think when Mari turn hers on and lost her unit's arm and a quarter of her head, Ritsuko or someone mentioned a sync ratio, maybe a contamination field.

Assuming Asuka is suffering from mental containment from an angel, which is imo a pretty safe bet, considering if you watch 2.0, when the angel "hits" her, the blue crosses that pass through Asuka are the same as the ones in the eyepatch, when Asuka activates her beast mode, she's exposing herself and perhaps multiplying the effects of the mental contamination.

I just thought of something though. And I don't know if it's been mentioned or not. But I think I figured out a little bit concerning the Door of Guf.

In Eva 1.0, there are plenty of shots with a metal cross sticking out of Rei's entry plug when it's in for repairs. I don't have a moderate conclusion to this observance so I'll just leave it at that, though it sorta ties into what I'm about to say, since the crosses look similar to the transparent crosses when Shinji opens Guf in 3.33.

So, the 4 Adams represent some connection to the 4 generations of Rei, judging by their identifying pieces. The Rei clone prior to 3.33 was fused into Unit 1's core with Yui. Shinji was struck down and recovered and in 3.33, it's stated that Rei is in 1's core.

So I asked myself the question here... what if Gendou had planned this all along? What would this mean? It would mean that Gendou set off Shinji's impact when he recovered Rei(obviously) but perhaps he planned to force Rei's soul into 1's core. Perhaps that was the ulterior motive, since the impact was shut down rather easily. When the Doors of Guf open in 3.33, perhaps he moved those souls out to "the other side", which was the object sighted in the blackness of Guf. Or perhaps, even, he pushed some of his soul into whatever was shot into Guf, with Rei and Yui's souls as well(which would go along with Fuyu's "Gendou is going to sacrifice his soul" bit.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 am

^
I don't see how that's a third option : it's clear from the shade of blue in her glow, the fact it glows even when not in an entry plug when she's angry, the Angel Sealing Glyphs embedded in her eyepatch and the big blue crosses littering her entry plug when she activates Beast Mode that what's under her eyepatch is related to her possession by Bardiel 14 years ago.

What I was wondering is if the glow still being as bright even when she close her eyes means that the angelic infection also destroyed her eyelid(making her unable to close that eye) or if it's so strong that even when closing her eyes the glow is still visible(which is possible, since it's even viewable through a rather thick eyepacth)

As for Mari, what Maya and Rits said when she activated Beast Mode is that her plug depth had gone to "negative levels", i.e. "fucking dangerous", because that will give her the level of synchronization required to control EVA-02 in Beast Mode.

View Original PostunitM wrote:In Eva 1.0, there are plenty of shots with a metal cross sticking out of Rei's entry plug when it's in for repairs. I don't have a moderate conclusion to this observance so I'll just leave it at that, though it sorta ties into what I'm about to say, since the crosses look similar to the transparent crosses when Shinji opens Guf in 3.33.

That's just the special entry plug used to keep an Eva paralyzed when it had gone mad, the big cross is just here for the cool pseudo-Christian imagery, that scene was also present in the original series.

So, the 4 Adams represent some connection to the 4 generations of Rei, judging by their identifying pieces. The Rei clone prior to 3.33 was fused into Unit 1's core with Yui. Shinji was struck down and recovered and in 3.33, it's stated that Rei is in 1's core.

Except that there have much, much more generations of Rei by the time of Q, dozen of them looking at the wall of conserved Rei heads in the room Shinji and Fuyu plays Shogi.

So I asked myself the question here... what if Gendou had planned this all along? What would this mean? It would mean that Gendou set off Shinji's impact when he recovered Rei(obviously) but perhaps he planned to force Rei's soul into 1's core. Perhaps that was the ulterior motive, since the impact was shut down rather easily. When the Doors of Guf open in 3.33, perhaps he moved those souls out to "the other side", which was the object sighted in the blackness of Guf. Or perhaps, even, he pushed some of his soul into whatever was shot into Guf, with Rei and Yui's souls as well(which would go along with Fuyu's "Gendou is going to sacrifice his soul" bit.

Getting Rei absorbed inside EVA-01 alongside Yui was part of Gendo's plan, Fuyutsuki say it explicitly to Shinji in Q. What we don't know yet is why he wanted to have her absorbed inside the Eva.
I have the theory that it's was Gendo's twisted way to put both Rei and Shinji in safety inside Shogouki with Yui, because now that he have his awakened Evangelion things were gonna to become really explosive with SEELE... but something happened that fucked everyone's plans and ended with EVA-01 on orbit, forcing both Gendo and SEELE to bid their time for 14 years to start a B-Plan.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mizerous
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mizerous » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:52 am

I saw the Dub of 3.33 and I hear Asuka refer to people as Lilin like Karowu. I don't know if she says this in the sub but that implies a lot about her eye. Also perhaps Mari might know about what's under it and she is not saying anything to protect her princess.
Think positive!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 am

^
Asuka calls them Lilin too in the Japanese version, that added with the Curse of Eva and her glowing eye and Angel Sealing Glyphs embedded eyepatch strongly imply that she doesn't really consider herself as a human being anymore, it will be interesting to learn more of her worldview in FINAL.

As for Mari, since the glowing thing isn't exactly discreet and could be a potential security risk, it's probable that at least WILLE's higher staff(Misato, Ritsuko) and those who were attending her after Bardiel (Maya) know about what's behind that eyepatch.

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:23 am

So is Asuka an angel? of just contaminated?

because in this image it says Asuka is the angel's core.

SPOILER: Show
Still waiting on Evangelion Final...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”