Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 pm

I don't think anyone is saying it's far fetched. If anything I'm saying it's too obvious.

What I was saying originally is that she probably has some Angel bits, but it is a non issue. If anything, I think there is still more evidence that ll the Children are Angels (or ADAMS), so if Asuka has some Bardiel thrown in, it won't matter.

Again, it's all speculation. All I am trying to get across is that there are so many people on here spouting theories as fact. Not just the contamination thing, but all across the board, where there is no hard evidence for hardly anything from 3.0 at this point. If we start just saying to each other that "Asuka is contaminated" as a fact, when 4 comes out and possibly contradicts that it will be confusing.

Keep facts as facts and theories as theories.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

When you're developing and extending a theory it gets tedious real fast to qualify every statement you make again and again. Most of the time the context makes it clear enough - there's plenty of places where we say we don't know this or that or anything for certain.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:44 am

I think AlphaGamma summed up all the facts in a nice, comprehensive manner.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:When you're developing and extending a theory it gets tedious real fast to qualify every statement you make again and again. Most of the time the context makes it clear enough - there's plenty of places where we say we don't know this or that or anything for certain.

Not when you have people going into rage mode insisting that Asuka is contaminated.

Simitus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Simitus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Couple things I'd like to contribute in the hopes of enriching the discussion, as I feel this thread is close to making sense

1 - With angels, the line between death and life is never clear. They reduced the 3rd Angel to nothing but a skeleton, it still got back up and walked out. We have seen angels that are heavily damaged regenerate or mutate around the damaged tissue. We have seen them shapeshift. We know they have tremendous, essentially limitless reserves of energy for AT fields and attacks. Bacteria are the most resilient life form, they have even survived the vacuum of space. It would be premature IMO to say definitively that Bardiel is dead, merely that its then host EVA-03 died. If it was infectious to the point that it would have gotten Asuka too then Eva-01 and Shinji would have had to be quarantined and likely have shared the infection. I think if anything happened to Asuka, it happened when she was pulled beyond safe core depth at the beginning of the event.

2 - The saying goes that Japanese culture believes the eyes are windows into the soul. What is Anno trying to say visually when Unit-02 Dash and its synchronized pilot are in beast mode? Lots of things - the facial contortion, baring of teeth and expression of the eyes indicate a complete loss of inhibition, a base animalistic, predatory rage. The boiling LCL around the left side of Asuka's head (in the fight with Mark.09 as well as the Mark.04 Nemesis) tells us not only blue light but some kind of thermal radiation is escaping that window into her soul in such an unstable state.

3 - Without entering a formal Mode-change command, Shinji's eyes as well as Unit-01's became red during the Zereul attack. We can see from both times 02 has gone beast mode (that we've seen) the pilots eyes similarly synchronize with the Unit's. Worth noting is that by the fight with Mark.09, Only 2 of Unit-02's original eyes (the two on one side) remain. This could explain why whatever the light of Asuka's left eye is didn't also become green.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks to AlphaGamma for a good layout of the evidence so far for Asuka being something more than simply human.

View Original PostAlphaGamma wrote:-She breaks a thick glass panel (in a battleship) with a punch...
-She grows fangs when she goes in beast mode (i'm pretty sure Mari didn't, in 2.0).
(The last two points may have nothing to do with the incident and may simply be explained by the "Curse").

I think these two pieces point in the same direction as well. Akind to the glowing eyepatch, we're seeing subtle physical signs pointing to something lying underneath the surface. Asuka is no longer fully human, and is quite possible something else entirely.

But she is still Asuka. I'm trying to think of a parallel for what might be going on. Bardiel being trapped in Asuka would be plausible, but the Angel was definitively killed in 2.0, with a rainbow explosion showing up and everything. There might be parallels between Lilith's extraction into Rei, or Yui in Eva-01.

Then, upon thinking that, my "Out of the Box" fancy unleashed itself in its full fury, and I thought: What if the glowing blue thing currently inside Asuka... was Rei?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote: Asuka... was Rei?

I bet if Asuka found out Rei was living inside her, she'd gut herself with a spanner. I doubt it is beacuse Asuka exhibits very little Rei-like behaviour throughout the film, even when faced with ReiQ.

And I'm nothing like you

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:What if the glowing blue thing currently inside Asuka... was Rei?

How did you come to that conclusion? I don't mind if it's a bit crazy.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:00 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:How did you come to that conclusion? I don't mind if it's a bit crazy.

My brain is in "Out of the Box" mode at the moment. I wouldn't recommend that anyone take that suggestion very seriously, including myself. To answer your question, I suppose I was wondering what could be "inside" Asuka which is causing her to become like this, then I though maybe she's a reverse version of Yui/Rei, then I thought of Rei.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Of course : Asuka's left eye glows blue, and what is Rei's hair color? Blue!
It's a clear evidence!

OMF, you're a genius! :pwnd:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

^^

This demands EvaBridged Gendo's quote "I'm a fuckin GENIUS!". Go on, say it. You deserve it XD
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:48 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Of course : Asuka's left eye glows blue, and what is Rei's hair color? Blue!

I object to this, mainly because Asuka's eye is a deeper shade of blue than Rei's hair, and also because Asuka exhibits very little Rei-like behaviour throughout the show. Also, there's no evidence of Asuka having any contact with Rei at all during the timeskip.

And I'm nothing like you

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:47 am

Didn't Asuka refer to Rei as "the returning champion" or something like that? She may have had no contact with her, if you define "contact" as having a conversation with someone rather than a fight where (presumably) they can't communicate with each other.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 am

It was Ritsuko who said that, and she was referring to the Mark.09. The only time Asuka even talks to ReiQ is during the battle between Beast Mode Eva-02 and the Mark.09 late in the film, and during the last scenes. So links betwee Asuka and Rei are very weak at best.

And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:30 pm

You... you are all aware that it was a joke, right?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:23 pm

ElMariachi, you've been struck by Poe's law.

The "extremism" in this case being "extreme fanwankery".

And, in contradiction to Poe's law, apparently your blatant I'm-only-kidding smiley didn't help.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You... you are all aware that it was a joke, right?

You should've used BIGGER LETTERS and more exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and more of these: :rofl: :naughty: :peace: So they would've understood that it was a joke.

:tongue:

Back on topic: I think that Asuka will use her [s]Mangekyo Sharingan's tsukuyomi[/s] eye to show the events during timeskip. :D

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 pm

My view on what's over Asuka's left eye:

It's a choker, just like the DSS Choker that bleeds red through Kaworu's plug suit as it primes, Asuka's Choker bleeds through her eye-patch when it needs to supress angelic power.
I watch and speculate.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:55 pm

The tangent about Shikinami being possibly Sohryu-contaminated went here.

The one part of that post which remains directly relevant to this topic has been reproduced below:

View Original PostelemileTLDR wrote:Since we were into plugsuit' asymmetries a while ago, I don't think we have discussed the possible relation between her left eye and the bluish extra "button" on the patched suit:

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/elemile/media/button_zps193f6cd1.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I has been noted in the first page, way back when the only thing we had was the camrip, but now with BD quality we can add nice images :

A little "funny" detail when she's in Beast Mode, the glows continues even when she close her eyes :
SPOILER: Show

So either her eyelid is damaged or missing and she can't even close her eye, or the glow is so strong that even when she closes her eyes it remain visible, which is really possible since said light is visible through an eyepatch(yet it's strange that the brightness doesn't diminish at least a little)

Could also be both.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”