Stryker Rewatches Evangelion (SRE)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Stryker Rewatches Evangelion (SRE)

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Turn's out there is no general thread where people post their feels about what they watched or specific occurences when they rewatch it. Sure, there is the Commentary, but I'm not sure Reichu or the other admins want to reopen that. . .

So to business.

I'm planning to rewatch Evangelion. And you're going to hear about it. In this thread. Oh, and I post my feels about what happens, so there's that too. You can join me if you want, and post your feels too. I'ma do it tonight.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 pm

:wellhung:

It's still too soon for me to go back and re-watch NGE. Marathoning it in one night was one of the worse ideas I've ever had in a long history of bad ideas.

Can't wait to see if marathoning the new movies will be just as bad as an idea for similar reasons.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Notes. BTW I took these notes at the time I was within the show, not after finishing the show. Watching this with Japanese dub w/ Renewal subs.

SPOILER: Show

(1:35): Wait, wtf is with the bu- oh yeah, Tokyo is flooded. Totally forgot.

(2:04): There is a child running across some railroad tracks. What's up with this?

(2:25): According to the Renewal subtitles, Misato says. . . Christ. It's less surprising that she would say that, as apposed to the subtitles suggesting that. . . or was it written that she did say that. Nothing of worthy notice, anyways.

(4:36): Really enjoying the amount of detail from last comment to now. Lets see how long this lasts.

(5:23): And the good ol' close up of a woman's bum. Spoken too soon. At least they passed five minutes without direct fanservice. Unless the picture Shinji was sent counts. In which case, gj Gainax.

(5:45): Lol Shinji looks like Brock. I've really contributed nothing of particular decency so far. Still got twenty minutes to go.

(8:35):
FUYUTSUKI: Interesting. It appears it can upgrade it's own operational functions.
IKARI: And it's also getting smarter.

Is this a common trait?

(10:54):
Shinji: Amazing! A Real Geofront!

While reading the wiki on the GeoFront, turns out that it is not a natural structure, as is lead to be believed here. This adds an interesting twist to the scene.

(11:50): Ritsuko has her murdur faec on.

(13:00): That hand in the background is bound to make a comeback, isn't it?

(13:55): Gendou does not sound as cold as he does in the English version.

(15:38): I see why people prefer to watch the Japanese version. This isn't nearly as painful to watch.

(16:38):
FUYUTSUKI: Can we use her?

Word usage is powerful. Adds a coldness to the situation.

(18:27): Classic hand imagery. The blood adds the effect that Shinji may feel that he is responsible for what just happened (Or literally speaking: Rei's blood is on his hands).

(18:34): Is it wrong that I found the RoE English dubbed version of the last minute played to be more believable than this? You can feel Rei's pain.

(21:33): Sachiel: Hupaduuuh, I walk around even though it was demonstrated that I could levitate only a few minutes ago. lawlawlawl.

(22:00): A cliffhanger almost as bad as Halo 2's. At least it didn't have the melodramatic line.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Wait, is this your first time watching the series subbed rather than dubbed, Stryker? If that's the case this thread just got a whole lot more interesting....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 pm

This should be interesting...

View Original PostStryker wrote:(13:00): That hand in the background is bound to make a comeback, isn't it?

Wait what? I don't remember that.

View Original PostStryker wrote:(22:00): A cliffhanger almost as bad as Halo 2's.

No. :gendo:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:32 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:Image
Aspect ratio!

The series is 4:3 TV from the 90s, not 16:9 widescreen; so those screen grabs are a little painful to look at.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:34 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:(2:04): There is a child running across some railroad tracks. What's up with this?

Hah! Reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where the comet/asteroid is coming, and some dude just runs across the street and hides under a bench, haha.

Marathoning it in one night was one of the worse ideas I've ever had in a long history of bad ideas.

I don't understand why anybody watches anything in a "marathon" session. It's just plain unenjoyable, at least for me. I'd get far too reckless and it would only detract from the overall viewing experience. A couple episodes (three or four at most) in a row is more than enough, isn't it?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I don't understand why anybody watches anything in a "marathon" session. It's just plain unenjoyable, at least for me. I'd get far too reckless and it would only detract from the overall viewing experience. A couple episodes (three or four at most) in a row is more than enough, isn't it?

I don't know about that. I had an awesome time marathoning Lucky Star! with a buddy of mine, although that may have been a bit over the top. Given the time, I'm comfortably able to watch 5-10 episodes of a series in a day if I'm really into it. When I was catching up to Naruto I was watching about 11 episodes per day, and that was during school. When animania hits me, it hits pretty damn hard! XD
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:16 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Wait what? I don't remember that.

Dude

How can you forget?
That's one of the funniest shots in Evangelion.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:44 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Aspect ratio!

The series is 4:3 TV from the 90s, not 16:9 widescreen; so those screen grabs are a little painful to look at.

Sorry, I didn't think so. I remember to change back next time.

@riffraff: Yes, it is the first time subbed.

@all: I'll try to incorporate more quotes into my notes. I think it's important to get the small, nitpicky things in Evangelion. They might bring some interesting insight on the show.
The Moats of Quotes

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Hah! Reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where the comet/asteroid is coming, and some dude just runs across the street and hides under a bench, haha.

I don't understand why anybody watches anything in a "marathon" session. It's just plain unenjoyable, at least for me. I'd get far too reckless and it would only detract from the overall viewing experience. A couple episodes (three or four at most) in a row is more than enough, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure that's just your opinion. Many people I know, myself included, enjoy marathoning series a lot. I haven't done any big projects, the biggest marathon I've done was the last thirty episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura and the second movie.

What made marathoning Eva a bad idea? I'm curious.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:16 pm

It is too deep. It's a lot to absorb in little time.
The Moats of Quotes

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:27 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:It is too deep. It's a lot to absorb in little time.

Marathoning an anime for your first viewing probably isn't a good idea. But for ulterior viewings, watching it quickly may help you tie the story together more firmly, since you may notice parallels or running themes that would pass you by if you watch it slowly. It's mostly a matter of preference, really.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Just want to say something regarding marathoning anime....

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Marathoning an anime for your first viewing probably isn't a good idea.

That's how I watch all my anime, marathoning as much of it as I can (meaning all of it if it's finished or up to the current episode if it's airing). I don't quite understand the hesitance. When someone reads a book and a chapter ends on a cliff hanger they don't stop reading and say "I'll get back to this tomorrow." do they? I mean if they do that's news to me, I never did. When I read a book I keep reading it until either a) I get tired of reading it or b) I run out of time (or c) I finish it). In both cases I resume when I want to and it happens again. This is true for books, video games, western TV shows, the one comic I've read, and of course anime.

Anyway, continue on Stryker.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm

@CJD Looking back at it now, I'm not sure of what I said anymore, since I tend to do exactly what you described when I get into an anime. :sweatdrop: Time permitting, of course. It really is a subjective thing, though. Some people like to take some time to digest what they've read so far, while others like to march on and read/watch as much as possible. I do a bit of both.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Fixed up aspect ratio so it isn't as painful.

SPOILER: Show

(1:40):
Misato: Evangelion Unit One, LIFT OFF!

Am I the only amused that in the Japanese dub, Kotono Mitsuishi feels it necessary to say, "LIFT OFF" in English?

(2:30): I guess Fuyutsuki wasn't kidding whe he said it can upgrade its own operational functions. It's biceps doubled in mass in attempt to dislocate Eva 01's arm.

(3:56):
Shinji: This ceiling is unfamiliar.

It will be soon, Shinji. An interesting remark overall though. In a quick analysis, I guess it could symbolize how significantly Shinji's life has changed over the past day. And such a thing was simply stated through the unfamiliarity of a ceiling.

(4:04): Emergency beeping of sirens, comparable to those of a police cars, is essentially like a referee whistle. I confus.

(4:33): Interesting angle.

(5:30): Seele-men just stated that the costs of repairing both Eva 01 and Eva 00 could bankrupt an entire country. Let that sink in for a moment. That being said, countries are most likely still recovering from 2nd impact, so we must take this into account. Despite that, that must be a grand sum of money.

(5:34):
SEELE-MAN: We also understand that you gave that particular toy to your son, didn't you?

Your being pretty casual about something that assures your plan of instrumentality, aren't you? Then again, it isn't surprising that Seele see this entire thing as a joke, considering what they have stored.

(5:48): Classic Gendou pose as Seele complains about something inconsequential.

(7:27): Not exactly hand imagery, but you can tell that Shinji is contemplating about what happened (to him), or perhaps even what he did.

(8:38): Seems Gendou is pretty upset at Shinji. Suppose it's for getting scolded by Seele.

(8:50)
Fuyutsuki: I think that living apart is natural for Ikari and his son.
Ritsuko: And living together is unnatural?

I would believe that Ritsuko would know much about Shinji just through his files, let alone what Gendou may (or may not) tell her about him. So what makes her deduct that this would be unnatural? Is she not understanding of human fallacy? May prove interesting later in the show.

(9:29):
Misato: Its not like I'm going to "put the moves" on him.

Sure Misato. We'll see. Anyways, Ritsuko doesn't seem pleased by it (well, less pleased that Misato mentioned "putting the moves"), but it is quite obvious that living alone is probably the worse alternative to this one, as much hell was caused to both Shinji and Misato for this decision. Let alone Shinji living with Gendou, which was discussed between Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki just moments ago. In the end though, it does demonstrate Ritsuko's responsibility, despite her not even being a parent. . . or just that she's anal. I'm for the former though.

(10:18): The gossiping between the two mothers in this scene is provides some interesting background about the residents of Tokyo-3. Didn't the people already know that this was a fortress designed to defend humanity against the angels? I also find it interesting how barren Tokyo-3, the metropolis that it is, can be. There are few cars in the cuts where roads are shown. I don't expect it to get much better.

(10:37):
Shinji: So desolate. This city seems so lonely.

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

(11:41): Scene is (still) very magical, despite phallic imagery at 11:15.

(12:06):
Shinji: Oh, pardon the intrusion.

Shinji still feels as if he doesn't belong here, while it was made obvious that he is here to stay. Although it appears constantly throughout that he has difficulty settling in to new places, this is especially interesting because Misato has already told Shinji that this is his new home (and tells him again shortly after the quote).

(12:35): I'm still amazed at Misato's voice acting. She feels so much younger than she does in the English dub. . . English dub, imagine if all the characters had British accents. That would make for an interesting series.

(13:17): *ears exploded*

(13:46): Fanservice as expected.

(14:14):
Misato: Take advantage of everything that's here, except me!

Considering the fanservice not so long ago, I would think this was intended to be taken the wrong way, if it is in fact the wrong way.

(14:43): Asuka's theme plays this soon?

(15:30):
Shinji: Misato. . . she's not a bad person. But bad memories always seem to find me in the bath. Like my father, and Rei Ayanami.

First impressions are important, maan.

(16:02):
Ritsuko: It's so hard on these poor children.
Ikari: There is no one else that can pilot the Evas. As long as they survive, that is what I'll have them do.
Ritsuko: With no regard to what they may want?

I don't remember Ritsuko being this humane. At least, not without bias. And dayum, that's harsh, Ikari.

(16:51):
Misato: I was just thinking of Shinji as a tool. I'm as shameless as Ritsuko. We destroyed the angel, so why can't I be happy about it?

Interesting confession, followed by an interesting judgement, considering the quote I chose that came just before this before this scene. Also, there was an interesting pose from Ritsuko right before this scene. I'll have a screenshot of that as well.

(17:09):
Shinji: Another unfamiliar ceiling. Of course, in this whole city, there is no place that's familiar. Why am I here

Yeah, forgot to mention that you'll be meeting a couple of those. See previous analysis.

(20:31) Dat mustache!

(21:26) Don't worry, I was just as disturbed as you were, Shinji. Just not as screamy. I'm in a house of sleeping people; can't afford to be screamy.
The Moats of Quotes

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:(1:40):
Am I the only amused that in the Japanese dub, Kotono Mitsuishi feels it necessary to say, "LIFT OFF" in English?

"You ah numbah wan!"

But no, I think that it is rather amusing too.

View Original PostStryker wrote:(7:27): Not exactly hand imagery, but you can tell that Shinji is contemplating about what happened (to him), or perhaps even what he did.

As we know, Shinji's hand pops up a lot.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
Marathoning it in one night was one of the worse ideas I've ever had in a long history of bad ideas.

Can't wait to see if marathoning the new movies will be just as bad as an idea for similar reasons.

I did a marathon of NGE with a couple friends and we did the whole series in one night (excluding EoE) and they genuinely enjoyed it (since I had watched it all before). I guess it all depends on the person.

This thread reminds me that I really should re watch the whole series again.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:51 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:(7:27): Not exactly hand imagery, but you can tell that Shinji is contemplating about what happened (to him), or perhaps even what he did.

That's also where the injury of Unit-01's arm would correspond, meaning it would've hurt like hell.

View Original PostStryker wrote:(21:26) Don't worry, I was just as disturbed as you were, Shinji. Just not as screamy. I'm in a house of sleeping people; can't afford to be screamy.
Image[/spoiler]

One of my very favourite pieces of imagery from the series... Reichu mentioned it in one of her posts in 'Evangelion Q and Beyond', but it's weird how Unit-01 appears like a generic Adam clone, even though it's derived/grown from Lilith.

Guess it would've had the opposite effect if it looked like the Marshmallow Man in there.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 am

Stryker wrote:(21:26) Don't worry, I was just as disturbed as you were, Shinji. Just not as screamy. I'm in a house of sleeping people; can't afford to be screamy.

The scream that follows after the Eva opens his eye is probably enough to convince anyone that the dub just isn't as good as the subbed experience.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”