Anime Abandon: D&R / EoE Reviews

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Zeldafan888
Adam

Anime Abandon: D&R / EoE Reviews

•      
  •      

Postby Zeldafan888 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:36 am

After watching his review of the sonic ova
I thought it would be great idea to set up a hype thread for his upcoming review of End of Evangelion

End of Evangelion was a mixed bag in terms of fan reception
People either consider it a great ending to the anime compared to the original ending or a anti climatic piece of mediocrity or just a nonsensical and convoluted piece of shit.

Bennett the sage tends to be cynical when it comes to mainstream anime/games, his Akira review is proof of that so he may not be the biggest fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

So good luck to him
link to his review of the sonic ova
[url]http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/37427-anime-abandon-sonic-the-hedgehog-the-movie[/url]

Moved if it in the wrong forum.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 pm

He says he hates Evangelion.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Why do we need a "hype thread" for some random internet guy's opinion of Eva?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Why do we need a "hype thread" for some random internet guy's opinion of Eva?

Because certain people think it's neat that some semi-popular internet site is featuring a review of an anime series that they happen to be a huge fan of. Maybe it's validating to a degree that the series is popular enough to be given attention by even the most random of internet critics, even if they're probably gonna tear it a new one.

Honestly the only reviews of Eva that I find interesting are the Rebuild ones done by SF Debris, and the biggest reason why is that they're an opportunity to get to see a critic's opinion on Rebuild without having their views skewed by their love/dislike of the series.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:55 am

I enjoy his reviews so I'm looking foward to what he has to say whether he likes it or not.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 am

UHhhhhhhhhh well its up and the comments are killing my good mood. Hate the fact that people not likeing stuff i like piss's me off so much, lol. :asuka_sad:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 am

I have to admit, most of his criticisms are pretty understandable, specially considering the misinformation he has and the fact he watched the dub.

That said, most of his critiscisms of the characters can be chalked up to him simply not understanding psychology or the kind of people Shinji or Asuka "represent" even though his criticisms of Shinji are pretty fresh and give a nice, new perspective towards it. The critiscisms of pretentiousness and the series getting too caught up in it's characters as too pay attention to the main story could be chalked up to him having expected something else from the series and disagreeing with what the main focus should have been, his comments of Anno losing his shit throughtout the series give a clear indication he doesn't seem to get people with, uh, abnormal psychologies.

That said, i have to admit the review was much better than i thought it would be, even when he didn't like the series, he gave Death & Rebirth a very fair and proper review, so that's pretty cool. Looking forward to his criticism of EoE.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:42 am

I'm guessing his EOE review will be uploaded on the 21st.

bogey
Embryo

Eva Disrespected Yet Again

•      
  •      

Postby bogey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 pm

[url]http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/37634-anime-abandon-neon-genesis-evangelion-death-and-rebirth[/url]

a lot of this is backing up my point that eva is the most hated of all classic/important anime. there is no anime more polarizing than eva. most reviewers seem to outright hate it
Last edited by bogey on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there was a hole here

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Related thread

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13556/Anime-Abandon-End-of-evangelion-Hype-thread/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:27 pm

not watching (because I couldn't care less about Anime Abandon, basically if guy does reviews in video format instead of text it means he's usually full of shit, bad jokes and no actual insight - and it's that guy with glasses site so really, case closed) but D&R is kinda bad

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 pm

I liked D&R's discontinuous editing. I really only watch it though if I'm gonna watch EoE without watching the whole TV series before hand.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Superman was used in a comparison to explain why Shinji's behavior is detrimental to the show... need I say more?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Well, it takes a hell of a lot of thought to understand Eva. Some people just don't feel like pouring a ton of time into it. Then again, Evangelion isn't exactly what I would call a "lucid" anime. Some people hate it for that, while others are just more motivated to understand it. Not everybody likes Eva. That's why this site exists.

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:13 pm

I love how you use the word "disrespected" as if Eva is some kind of devine show that's above criticism "how dare you not like what I like!" I can't say much about the review since I haven't watched it yet but if he doesn't like Evangelion that's fine.
View Original PostXard wrote:not watching (because I couldn't care less about Anime Abandon, basically if guy does reviews in video format instead of text it means he's usually full of shit, bad jokes and no actual insight - and it's that guy with glasses site so really, case closed) but D&R is kinda bad
Yes he does take a comedic approach but from what I can tell his reviews are fairly decent. And saying that a review automatically is less valid because it's not in the traditional no nonsense text format is kind of closed minded.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:36 pm

We should have a thread like this every time someone on the internet mentions something they don't like about Evangelion.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:38 pm

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:I love how you use the word "disrespected" as if Eva is some kind of devine show that's above criticism "how dare you not like what I like!"

Same here but I ended up realising that most Eva fans have some kind of holy deference to Evangelion, especially the TV series + old movies.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:42 pm

He has a strong opinion of why he doesn't like NGE, but I didn't find it bad taste. Nor disrespectful. I've seen worse things on the web. :) This is just opinion shared in a funny way, I guess.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Stop disliking what I like.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:28 pm

So is the guy doing these reviews a hipster or something?
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Return to “Fan Works”