"Banned"

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

"Banned"

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm

This one's simple!

Please bring back the user title "Banned".
People could be banned and nobody would know.

Like how Xard just got a week ban just now

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Setting it is the easy bit; remembering to unflip it when it expires is where the problem comes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Couldn't a bot be used to handle a task like this?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm

If it's as simple as remembering to unflip it could always use http://www.futureme.org/ Never used it for long term stuff but I've heard the infamous "2 years later slowpoke" used it.

wb btw IO. Hope your psyche wasn't crushed too much.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Wait, Xard got banned again?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Setting it is the easy bit

I'm not sure I would say that. When the forum is acting the way it is, it's just another piece of hassle to potentially get caught behind a 50* error while implementing.

And with most of these bans only lasting 3 days? Even less worth the hassle.

Fireball wrote:Wait, Xard got banned again?

Heed not the red text and the hammer comes swinging down. While his contributions in Q and Beyond have included some very outstanding stuff recently, it doesn't excuse some of the slop he leaves around for admins for clean up. (Not that he's been the only one, by far, but he's the one you asked about.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Yep, the ban hammer has been very active recently.... overactive, I'd say. TBH I'm still a little angry I got hit by it when I was specifically trying not to run afoul of the spoiler policy. There's a lot of resentment over this crap brewing through back channels.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 pm

NemZ: There's no way to make everybody happy. If you're forum staff, you learn that fast enough. I don't enjoy being resented, or having my actions resented, any more than the average non-sociopath, but, well... The bans are pretty small potatoes (3 days? or, less often, a week?), too.

If you weren't trying to run afoul of the policy, great. But how am I supposed to separate your intent from what I have to clean up? More to the point: It was made clear from the start that bans would be issued on a zero tolerance basis. You posted a spoiler (i.e., information not revealed in the materials that we'd OKed, of the sort that the Unsullied would want to be avoiding), and that was that. If you're going to be angry, don't be angry at us.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Lady Luck just isn't smiling on you guys it seems. I, on the other hand, have luck to spare.

You may have some of mine if you like. :highfive:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:zero tolerance

Is always a retarded policy. Authorities only put that up when they don't want to be held responsible for making stupid decisions.

Clearly we have very different opinions on what is and is not a spoiler, but the ban hammer has been dropping on a lot of people for reasons unrelated to the spoiler policy as well.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Is always a retarded policy. Authorities only put that up when they don't want to be held responsible for making stupid decisions.

Clearly we have very different opinions on what is and is not a spoiler, but the ban hammer has been dropping on a lot of people for reasons unrelated to the spoiler policy as well.

aye, yer bloody right, the bloomin' modsquad as been exercisin' their dildos a wee bit on the bleedin' frequent side.
Last edited by KnightmareX13 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Clearly we have very different opinions on what is and is not a spoiler, but the ban hammer has been dropping on a lot of people for reasons unrelated to the spoiler policy as well.

Yeah, for this: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/574964/Minimizing-the-mess-READ-THIS/#574964

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Authorities only put that up when they don't want to be held responsible for making stupid decisions.

Stupid decisions... like alienating all of the forum-goers who are trying to avoid spoilers, because a small minority of posters just can't help themselves?

Own up to a little responsibility, yourself. If you were the least bit unclear about what constituted a spoiler, you could have played on the safe side, and perhaps, I don't know, used the tags just to be safe, or asked one of us for additional clarity.

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:aye, yer bloody right, the bloomin' modsquad as been exercisin' their dildos a wee bit on the bleedin' frequent side.

I do like my dildos.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 am

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:aye, yer bloody right, the bloomin' modsquad as been exercisin' their dildos a wee bit on the bleedin' frequent side.

It builds character. Deal with it.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 am

I'll agree that the admins may have been a little aggressive on the off topic bannings, but the spoiler stuff is there for a reason, and I see where they're coming from. It's just a small, temporary thing to reinforce "be careful you don't do this again". No reason for either side to be all disputatious.
Last edited by ZapX on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:It builds character. Deal with it.

Oiy ye bloody wanker! are ye daft? Exercisin' dildos does not build character, exercisin' the bloomin' guns builds it.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 am

I don't really see why the definition of "spoiler" is so difficult for people to understand in the first place. It's pretty clear, as is the forum's spoiler policy. If there's a rapidly-growing subforum dedicated to these discussions, what need is there to post that content elsewhere in the first place? Reichu's solution is the simplest one there is: When in doubt, spoiler tag it.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:40 am

Well, I think everything is working out good so far. I mean, I'm trying to avoid Q spoilers like the plaque and funnily enough, EGF is about the safest place I can think of at the moment.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I don't really see why the definition of "spoiler" is so difficult for people to understand in the first place.

Well then, would you consider it a temp-ban worthy spoiler for someone to mention the rather common first name of a minor character, and not even connecting that name to a face or saying anything about what that charecter does in the film?

I mean there's this series called Cowboy Beebop, and there's totally a dude named Bob in there somewhere who has a few lines here and there about things. Gee, guess I ruined it for you completely now, huh? I'm such a bastard, I know.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Well then, would you consider it a temp-ban worthy spoiler for someone to mention the rather common first name of a minor character, and not even connecting that name to a face or saying anything about what that charecter does in the film?

There are people who would take umbrage at that being revealed, yes. And the trickle of little irrelevant details could easily result in a major spoiler breaking free of the net and wreaking havoc.

If there were a method of say, censoring each and every post until it was evident that each and every one of them were spoiler-free, we wouldn't need temp-bans. Only in that case, we'd have no forum at all. It's a matter of using what tools we have at hand and what tools work at keeping the forum running.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”