Eva 3.0 Film Reviews

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JeffersonLeeEng
Embryo

Eva 3.0 Film Reviews

•      
  •      

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Comprehend

New Eva film blows minds across Japan

by Ryotaro Aoki

There was a moment of awkward silence once the house lights came up in the theater after the end credits of Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo. To Evangelion veterans who were there the first time around, it was probably a familiar feeling. To everyone else, it was probably more like a big collective “huh?”

Beware clicking the link, because there are possible spoilers even before it says here be  SPOILER: Show
Linkage: [url]http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Newsletter/News1/Evangelion_30_You_Can_Not_Comprehend_4815.aspx[/url]
Jefferson Lee Eng
(Insert something witty here.)
http://www.otakugeneration.net | http://www.fanboyhell.com

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Didn't read beyond the spoiler warning in the article. No spoiler biggie. But, GODDAMN, ANNO! I'm feeling the exact same kinds of dreadful anticipation as I was watching NGE for the first time. I forgot how horrible that felt...

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:44 pm

I know what you mean, and for the first time since I discovered Eva about 2 years ago, I have that sensation like Neo learning Kung-fu in the first matrix film having absorbed a buttload of information in a short space of time.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

This must be how the Japanese fan's felt in the 90's
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm

how are people seeing this movie. I've been told numerous times that Eva 3.0 is out yet in foreign countries.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 pm

A number of people have taken trips to Japan for purposes of seeing the movie; others are already in the country for other reasons.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:24 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:This must be how the Japanese fan's felt in the 90's

One of the best things about this movie is that it's just like watching Evangelion again for the very first time, as it's all new stuff.

I commend the people who are keeping themselves spoiler-free. Good on you! I understand it's going to be a hard wait, but it's going to be so worth it when you finally see it!

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I commend the people who are keeping themselves spoiler-free. Good on you! I understand it's going to be a hard wait, but it's going to be so worth it when you finally see it!

Why thank you! I'm sure The Eva Monkey, Monk Ed and the rest of the Unsullied appreciate the compliment as well!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A number of people have taken trips to Japan for purposes of seeing the movie; others are already in the country for other reasons.

Jeez, add the price of an airline ticket to Japan to the cost of a movie ticket in that part of the world, and possibly other "additional expenses" (yes, this includes goodies they usually sell in Japanese theaters), and that's hell of a lot of money for one film.

:hahaha:

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:44 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Jeez, add the price of an airline ticket to Japan to the cost of a movie ticket in that part of the world, and possibly other "additional expenses" (yes, this includes goodies they usually sell in Japanese theaters), and that's hell of a lot of money for one film.

:hahaha:

I'm pretty sure it's worth it tbh (esp. if one watches the film many times) - I did this same thing for last Macross film and it was really fucking worth it. Difference in experience between big and small screen does exist with films like these and since I've also seen 2.0 on big screen I know same holds for Rebuild.

I would've done this same Tokyo gig for Q but I didn't have the money. Hopefully it'll take long enough for Final to come so I can gather money needed for another trip :hahaha:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:19 am

Come Final I bet a whole bunch of EGFers will be in Tokyo/Japan ready to hit up the midnight screenings, haha.

Won't be until about 2015 though, I reckon.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Come Final I bet a whole bunch of EGFers will be in Tokyo/Japan ready to hit up the midnight screenings, haha.

Won't be until about 2015 though, I reckon.
Oh, it'll be a party. I'll be sure to see ya'll at Tokyo Tower.

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Where did you watch it from anyway it isn't out in the U.S. yet?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm

View Original PostXavierla wrote:Where did you watch it from anyway it isn't out in the U.S. yet?
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A number of people have taken trips to Japan for purposes of seeing the movie; others are already in the country for other reasons.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Since we only have the Japanese reviews thread, I thought it'd be nice to post this one (January 12th 2013): http://www.isugoi.com/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo-review/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:42 pm

^I should probably avoid this.....I fear that I'll become really butthurt after reading the review...... -o-;

This is the only really positive Eva 3.0 review I've found so far: [url]http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.net/2013/09/25/reel-anime-2013-review-centerpiece-evangelion-3-0-can-redo/[/url]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

IMO it was a positive review, since a lot of the ones I've read seemed to be either negative or unsure what to think.

Oh yeah, I removed the "No Spoilers" from the topic since that's not relevant anymore. :tongue:

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:54 pm

SSD wrote:isugoi.com

These people are affiliated with He Who Must Not Be Named, just fyi
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Weirdly enough (at least from what I've heard), he left the fandom because of 3.0. :shrug:

I do understand why fans are split due to 3.0 (Maya's seiyuu predicted it a few years back), but I don't find reactions terribly different to the TV ending or EoE. Or Death & Rebirth not being the "proper" ending to the series (that's why the hatemail was written). 3.0 really feels like a prelude to Final if anything else, so if Final fails to answer the big stuff that needs answering, then fans can complain all they like. That's my take, at least.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Fans are fickle. Anime fans - who might very be the most picky, spoiled, shallow minded, entitled fandom of all - are especially fickle.

No surprise 3.0 upset a few. I'm quite positive 4.0 will leave a large amount of people upset no matter what the film does. As long as the film doesn't upset me is all that matters.... to me.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”