Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:52 am

One last question, Nuke: How did Funimation translate "connection glasses" (UTW-Thora subs)? I think something like "four eyes" would be better though it would exclude the reference to Mari having insider connections.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Oh yeah, I have other two Nuke(sorry!) :

- what's Asuka's line when she sorties to go to put the igniter in the Wunder's core?
The fansubs were "What a lame way for my unit to debut after its makeover.", but in French it was "I had just made it cleaned!"

- what was Mari's line when she said to Asuka that she's wasting her bullets. In the fansub it was "Plus, we don't know *what* might happen once the final Angel is defeated. Troubling, isn't it? ", but in French it was "Plus, I'm curious to see what will happen once the final Angel is destroyed."
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:One last question, Nuke: How did Funimation translate "connection glasses" (UTW-Thora subs)? I think something like "four eyes" would be better though it would exclude the reference to Mari having insider connections.

It's been translated as "Four-eyed Crony". Personally, I prefer the old "Favored Four-eyes!"

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:- what's Asuka's line when she sorties to go to put the igniter in the Wunder's core? The fansubs were "What a lame way for my unit to debut after its makeover.", but in French it was "I had just made it cleaned!"

It's pretty darn similar to the French subs. Something along the lines of, "I just finished cleaning it up."

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:- what was Mari's line when she said to Asuka that she's wasting her bullets. In the fansub it was "Plus, we don't know *what* might happen once the final Angel is defeated. Troubling, isn't it? ", but in French it was "Plus, I'm curious to see what will happen once the final Angel is destroyed."

I actually don't remember this one. Oops. :uhh:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:43 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It's pretty darn similar to the French subs. Something along the lines of, "I just finished cleaning it up."

Interesting, that line implies that it's not the first sortie of EVA-02 with the WILLE armor, that further supports the theory that a little time skip happened between operation US and Shinji waking up in the Wunder, maybe days, or even weeks(they had to go to the tesseract crashing site, pick it up, ship it to the Wunder fleet, free it from the rest of the coffin, install it into the Wunder "pod", all the while overhauling EVA-02 and 08, although 1.0 showed us that with enough manpower they can replace an armor in a matter of hours, but a complete change of armor type must take some more time)

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I actually don't remember this one. Oops. :uhh:

Don't worry, there will be others screenings in various conventions, someone will probably pick this particular line!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm

I think it would be more appropriate to refer to it as a gap rather than a skip; since the time that we're missing in the film is due to the fact that we're waiting to wake up instead of the director intentionally cutting things out, a less invasive term seems more appropriate.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:20 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Interesting, that line implies that it's not the first sortie of EVA-02 with the WILLE armor, that further supports the theory that a little time skip happened between operation US and Shinji waking up in the Wunder, maybe days, or even weeks(they had to go to the tesseract crashing site, pick it up, ship it to the Wunder fleet, free it from the rest of the coffin, install it into the Wunder "pod", all the while overhauling EVA-02 and 08, although 1.0 showed us that with enough manpower they can replace an armor in a matter of hours, but a complete change of armor type must take some more time)
More than the line, I think a major clue are the actual sequence of events, both Asuka and Mari participated in operation US, Mari went back to Earth first, basically in the middle of the operation, so it would be safe to assume that Mari was recovered first and Asuka having arrived later along the tesseract would have been recovered second. Mari had more time to get her Eva-08 changed into the new armor, but when the Nemesis series attack the Wunder and Misato says she is going to use the evas to connect the main engine, she asks Mari first and we see Eva-08 inside the hangar and Mari says she's not ready yet, and then enters Asuka with the refitted Eva-02 from the other hangar.

Why would Eva-08 that had more time to be refitted than Eva-02 not be ready for the underwater operation? I think it hints to the evas being involved in a previous unseen operation between operation US and the underwater operation, maybe a fight with the nemesis series? after all when the NS show up they say "they're back".

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 am

^

Mmmmh, that makes sense, I had forgotten about Misato's line that they're back... it's possible that neo-NERV sent them to retrieve EVA-01 before Shinji was extracted from it(it's possible that they would have only taken the entry plug, since Shinji is the vital element of his plan and he needed WILLE to be able to reach neo-NERV HQ to stop 4I to thwart SEELE's plans), and when he saw the Wunder taking flight he understood that he failed and thus sent his Champion to retrieve Shinji, counting on Rei Q 's voice and Mark.09's likeness to EVA-00, as well as WILLE's probable cautiousness and coldness toward him, to make him come by his own volition.

Which he did.

All according to the plan. :emogendo:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:48 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Mmmmh, that makes sense, I had forgotten about Misato's line that they're back... it's possible that sent them to retrieve EVA-01 before Shinji was extracted from it(it's possible that they would have only taken the entry plug, since Shinji is the vital element of his plan and he needed WILLE to be able to reach neo-NERV HQ to stop 4I to thwart SEELE's plans), and when he saw the Wunder taking flight he understood that he failed and thus sent his Champion to retrieve it, counting on Rei Q 's voice and Mark.09's likeness to EVA-00, as well as WILLE's probable cautious and coldness toward him, to make him come by his own volition.

Which he did.

All according to the plan. :emogendo:
this also puts into perspective Ritsuko yelling at Misato about the fact that Nerv took Shinji on priority over Eva-01 itself, maybe when they previously sent the NS to get Eva-01 the Wille people simply thought Nerv wanted Eva-01 back, when they realize that they didn't really care about Eva-01 but were after Shinji instead Ritsuko had to rise the red flag.
Rit-chan: BLOW HIS HEAD Misato! HE'S GOING TO GET IN THE DAMN ROBOT AGAIN! :tongue:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:31 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:HE'S GOING TO GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT AGAIN!

Fixed, mate. Don't quite know how you missed that one :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 pm

View Original Postthegoodson wrote:It just depends on how invested you are in getting that one line changed. It could be good for eliminating confusion of character intent as well as avoiding future unnecessary discussion. And honestly, it'd only take a minute to send an email: "Regarding the Subs at Eva 3.0 Screening". Or tweet. Or facebook. I just don't want those who feel this is too big of a fuck up to think they have no way to speak out against it.

[email protected]

Has anybody here done this? I've been debating on sending Funi a polite email but I'd rather do so if people think it's a major issue--and if others will send off emails too. I completely understand the translation changes Shikinami's character somewhat. At least it's not it Manga Entertainment EoE levels of bad (e.g. mistranslating the Adam and Lilith revelation), I've been quite happy with Funimation's Eva translations so far.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:55 pm

But are we really sure that Asuka's line is wrongly translated? Both the French and English translation put the killing intent on Asuka, and Nuke also said that the two Japanese women to whom he asked precisions also interpreted her line as "Give up and die", and let's remember that at the beginning UTW also put the same translation.
The only difference is that the official translators made Asuka more aggressive by making her scream at Shinji to let her kill him, while UTW and Nuke's two acquaintance were more along the line of "Shut up and die".

So far the only team that didn't made her say something about Shinji dying is the GitHub team.

And that's really a problem, because this line not only change Shikinami's character, but also the whole scene afterward : it's not anymore about Shinji selfishly desperate to be the one to fix the world, even thought Kaworu begged him to stop, it becomes a tragedy where Shinji continued because the only alternative was to die to WILLE's hands.

And I have the feeling that until Final is released and we see Anno establish everyone's responsibilities on N4I, this line will continue to make debate.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:05 pm

I think TM's post a page back clarified the meaning pretty well.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:it becomes a tragedy where Shinji continued because the only alternative was to die to WILLE's hands.

I really don't think Wille's crew necessarily wanted to kill Shinji (besides the fact Misato couldn't bring herself to activate the choker)--Misato even said Shinji was to be safe under their protection before he ending up leaving. My reading of that battle was Asuka and Mari (and later the Wunder) trying to subdue Evangelion 13. Now obviously that would include options by any means necessary.

And I have the feeling that until Final is released and we see Anno establish everyone's responsibilities on N4I, this line will continue to make debate.

Wouldn't surprise me. :lol: I think people were debating some lines and actions in 2.0 until 3.0 clarified matters.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:14 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Wouldn't surprise me. :lol: I think people were debating some lines and actions in 2.0 until 3.0 clarified matters.

Oh, absoposilutely. I still remember it, in great detail. The battles were long and hard in the Debate Rebuild thread (probably not the only place) as to the true meaning of the ending of Ha. Q settled all that so resoundingly the resulting silence has been deafening. I have no doubt that, if it clears up nothing else, Final will clear up just how much responsibility Shinji really deserves for Third Impact.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:21 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I really don't think Wille's crew necessarily wanted to kill Shinji (besides the fact Misato couldn't bring herself to activate the choker)--Misato even said Shinji was to be safe under their protection before he ending up leaving. My reading of that battle was Asuka and Mari (and later the Wunder) trying to subdue Evangelion 13. Now obviously that would include options by any means necessary.

Well, Shinji didn't knew that Misato couldn't bring herself to detonate the Choker(could have been thinking that Mark.09 has a jamming field preventing her to do so).
And for the final battle, if the line has translated by UTW and the official translators are right, then Asuka was clearly hell bent on terminating him(when you scream at someone to die while shoving two giant blades at his faces, that leaves no doubt about your intentions), so he probably thought that by now everyone had turned their back on him and that if he gives up now, his chances of survival would be close to null(whether that was actually true or not, and I doubt that Misato would had coldly executed him if he just surrendered peacefully)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:54 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote: if the line has translated by UTW and the official translators are right

In this case it's not about being right or wrong (translating is always a juggling act with literal vs interpretation!), I think this is a context issue--and not having Final out probably doesn't help.

The more I've looked into this, the more I personally prefer something along the lines of Github's translation:

01:11:45 {Shinji} Asuka! I'm begging you, stay out of the way!
01:11:49 {Asuka} Go down already, bratty Shinji!

But that's just my 2 cents.

darksoda
Embryo

Doubt about kaworu (:

•      
  •      

Postby darksoda » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Hey folks i got a doubt why kaworu took the colar of Shinji and put in himself, i mean he could throw the colar away or there is any explanation?? thanks for future answers (:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 pm

See here : http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14333/Kaworus-choice-to/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

darksoda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby darksoda » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 pm

thanks (:

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 am

Regarding the line where Mari says that Rei Q's original was friendlier... is there anything about the original Japanese to indicate that she's referring to Rei?

The reason I ask is because, despite everyone assuming that Mari's referring to the old Rei here, Rei Q's original is in fact Yui. Sure, Mari could be out of the loop in regards to the whole Yui clone business, but that doesn't seem too likely. A lot of dirt about Nerv, including the clones, had to have been found out by the people who would later go on to form Wille during the timeskip. And even if not every Wille member is privy to that knowledge, Mari has always seemed to have an air about her that suggests that she knows more about what's going on at any given moment than the average character.

If she did know about the cloning, then that means she was talking about Yui. And if she was, then it suggests she might've known Yui personally. Maybe the "Curse of Eva" has a purpose in the story besides keeping the young, attractive girls looking young and attractive?

Far-fetched perhaps, but possible. :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:01 am

Theories about who might have known (or even be related to) whom, especially Mari, Yui and Asuka, are discussed largely in threads about "the photo", e.g. here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”