Ultimate EVA Special Features DVD

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:34 am

Gahh, everyone's getting in the 30 kb/s range while I can never get above 6. And other things (such as the Gurren Lagann) I downloaded yesterday went into the 280 kb/s range. Does anyone here more familiar with BitTorrent than I am have any suggestions? :(
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:05 pm

When I was still downloading, it wasn't always at the 30k range. Sometimes it was below 10k. The problem with large files and few seeders is that you're getting almost all your chunks from other peers and not from the seeders themselves. For smaller downloads, that's not really a problem because fairly quickly, all the peers at least has almost all the chunks available. The torrent algorithm tries to do a bit of optimizing around this, giving different peers different chunks so that peers can share amongst themselves, but sometimes people get screwed because the peers that you're connected to don't have the chunks that you need, even if the chunk is available somewhere in the swarm. You end up downloading very little because the chunks you need aren't available and you take what you can get.

If you're still getting piss-poor download speeds after there are many seeders, then there's something wrong on your end. May share ratio is over 3 so far (had to force seed, didn't realize it was already done downloading), and I'll leave it seeding until there are lots of seeders. (And for some reason demonoid can never get my uploaded bytes right, according to my Azureus logs, I should have uploaded 10x what they say I have).

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Well, my problem is that the highest I ever got after the first day was 8 kb/s. It's been pretty steady at 6 or so over yesterday and today.

...Hrm... If I tried starting the downloader over with Azureus instead of BitTorrent, it might still finish more quickly. BitTorrent says I have 11 days left, and the count just keeps going up.

EDIT: BTW, Ornette, I'm pretty sure our avatars are now of sufficient size to hold a Dancing Man Rei within...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:54 pm

NAveryW wrote:...Hrm... If I tried starting the downloader over with Azureus instead of BitTorrent, it might still finish more quickly. BitTorrent says I have 11 days left, and the count just keeps going up.

Something that you could try is installing Azureus (I use the 2.5 version and not the 3.0 with all the fancy shmancy UI stuff), and make it so it uses different ports and different directories than your other torrent client. Then run them both concurrently and see if there's any improvement. I don't really know if Azureus is even the best client, but it's probably the best of all the ones that I've used for linux, and I need to be able to run it as a daemon, since we have a dedicated server for torrents and all the other machines in the house are connected to it and uses it as its torrent service.

EDIT: BTW, Ornette, I'm pretty sure our avatars are now of sufficient size to hold a Dancing Man Rei within...

see: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68393#68393

Although tempting as it may be, I'm satisfied with being able to pull out the Dancing Man Rei emoticon from time to time Image

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:03 pm

In a comparison that I read online, uTorrent and Azureus were considered the best.

Also, if you're not using DMR, I'm going to go ahead and do so... at least unless anyone has any objections. >_>

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:10 pm

I installed Azureus, but it gives me an error while trying to download, saying:

"Too many successive failures occurred on port 51199, UDP - processing abandoned. Please check firewall settings or this port to ensure that it is enabled for receiving connections."

BUT MY FIREWALLS ARE OFF!!!

EDIT: But it's still going way faster than BT... :o

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm a little surprised that there are only around 15 downloaders for this. Last time there were around 60, if I remember correctly.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Last time, there was a link to the torrent from Eva Monkey's front page.

I am happy to say that Azureus is working much better than BT. In the time that it took BT to download 1%, it downloaded almost 6%. If I had been using it from the beginning, I may have been finished by now. :)

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:54 pm

So, now that it's almost done, it occurs to me... how do I burn this thing?

In Linux.

k3b, I'm guessing, but I've never written a DVD of any kind before.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:56 pm

drinian wrote:So, now that it's almost done, it occurs to me... how do I burn this thing?

In Linux.

You'll need a Dual Layer DVD burner (you'll probably have to buy it separately, as I don't believe many [if any] computers come with them). If you don't want to do that, use DVD Shrink to get it down to under 4.7 GB. Then you can use any burning program (there are freeware ones such as DVDSanta, etc.) to burn it with a regular DVD burner, which most computers come with.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Actually, I think the Inspiron 9400's DVD burner is dual-layer.

So, k3b should be fine, I was more curious to know if there are any magic bits or if I should just drop the VIDEO_TS directory straight in and burn in data mode.

And I don't do Windows, unless it's safely locked away in a virtual machine.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:01 pm

I don't know about k3b, but I use ImgBurn, which is an amazing program. All you do is tell it where the folder is, and it gives you a few options of where to make the layer break. You pick the one you want, and then it does the rest. I use Windows, but if they have a Linux version, I'd recommend it.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 pm

drinian wrote:So, now that it's almost done, it occurs to me... how do I burn this thing?

In Linux.

Is very easy, it's the same as formatting a drive and using dvd+rw-tools to copy files onto it. I use the cdrtools and use a set of tools built on top of that for writing to DVD-R: http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

You don't need to worry about the iso fs, mkisofs takes care of all of that (growisofs and dvd+rw-format are frontends to mkisofs). After you create the iso filesystem, use growisofs to copy all the TS_VIDEO etc files right onto the DVD.

And for those "I don't want to read man pages, I just want a DVD now" people: http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~pcs/apps/linux_dvdr_burning.html

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 pm

NAveryW wrote:Last time, there was a link to the torrent from Eva Monkey's front page.

That's a good point. I wonder if we could convince Monkey to reference the disc a second time? Considering that it, you know, works now. :)
Awesomely Shitty

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:52 pm

I'd say it'd be worth it to link from the main page. I mean, this DVD has exclusive translated material, right? Things have been front paged for less.

Also, with Azureus I am frequently getting speeds now over 130 kb/s. It's currently at about 170 kb/s, while I still download from BT at... less than 1 kb/s. It looks like it'll be finished some time this evening. :)

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:07 pm

NAveryW wrote:I'd say it'd be worth it to link from the main page. I mean, this DVD has exclusive translated material, right? Things have been front paged for less.

Yes, the Genesis 0:0 translations are exclusive to this DVD.
Awesomely Shitty

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 pm

Ornette wrote:Is very easy, it's the same as formatting a drive and using dvd+rw-tools to copy files onto it. I use the cdrtools and use a set of tools built on top of that for writing to DVD-R: http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

You don't need to worry about the iso fs, mkisofs takes care of all of that (growisofs and dvd+rw-format are frontends to mkisofs). After you create the iso filesystem, use growisofs to copy all the TS_VIDEO etc files right onto the DVD.

You're way more hardcore command-line than I am. k3b of course uses the same programs on the backend. The first time I did it, didn't work, mainly because I used the "create data DVD" option. "Create video DVD" on the second burn, and it looks fantastic. Maybe it's because I didn't write an AUDIO_TS folder the first time or something?

Anyway, the DVD is great.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 pm

It should be finished soon! :D

Download speed: 253.8 kb/s
Remaining: 49 m 27 s
Downloaded: 5.56 GB of 6.01

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:13 am

600th post to coincide with the completion of the download!

Great job on the disc. My favorite part is Rei's voice actress predicting the ending: "I think something will happen in the finale... But even before that, something happens to the family, and there might be some significance in that, I believe."

To quote MaggotMaster, "lol wut."

And Asuka's VA's subsequent comment about hoping Asuka ends up happier in EoE than in the series ending made me laugh, but in a sad way. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, imagining her reaction when she actually read the script for EoE. >_>

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:59 am

All set! Im'a keep seeding it for now, and try to figure out this dual-layers bizniz. No idea how it works. Do I need special DVDR´s? Can most players do it?
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Return to “Fan Works”