Q-related Article Archive

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Q-related Article Archive

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Seems like such a thread would be useful. Think of it as the cross between Rebuild scans and CRC threads, full of hopefully useful and quotable info, all neatly organized. Thoughts?

Only problem so far is we really haven't had any useful traditional magazine articles yet.

Q cometh November 17th.
The last batch of hobby magazines (Dengeki Hobby, Hobby Japan, etc) before that is October 25th. Nothing happened.
The last batch of anime magazines (Newtype, Animage, etc.) before that is November 10th.
Subtract 3-5 days from street date for crappy cell phone pic leaks.

Nothing announced by the published yet, but hopefully we'll get something then.

-----------------==============Article Archive==============-----------------

2011 June Newtype - Studio Khara feature article, contained no actual Q news. Another relevant thread
2012 February Newtype - EVA:02'β P.M. image and info that was announced New Year's Day
2012 July 14th Front Runner - Hideaki Anno Interview
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Sounds useful, yeah. Stickied!

I remember I kind of assumed November Newtype Japan (released on 10/10 this month) would have had Eva Q news but there was nothing. (I think.) I guess December Newtype could have some kind of cover feature about Q?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Japanese Interview with Hiroyuki Okiura, he seemingly worked on the original picture design (whatever that means) for Q: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-1849.html

Although, I don't notice his name in the staff information here, unless he doesn't have a lead staff credit.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:25 pm

"Original picture" is genga, better translated to "key frame animation". I have no idea what 模様 would translate to in this instance.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:44 pm

He isn't big name staff, but he's a damn awesome animator that has lots of great work under his belt.

http://www18.atwiki.jp/sakuga/pages/8.html

His contribution should be quite noticible.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:59 pm

He's worked on both Ghost in the shell and Cowboy Bebop it's a definite plus.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01 pm

youtube seems to have nuked a lot

have a sample of his work

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2324
For those with no nico accounts: http://nicoviewer.net/sm2324

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:10 pm

So many of my favorite anime in that mix, I can't wait to see what he does in 3.0.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:04 pm

that clip show is impressive. definitely great news for Eva 3.0.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

Well the last batch of magazines before theatrical release is out and none of them seem to have anything at all Eva related.

What the hell are they planning that they're not revealing anything in advance?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 am

^You can never have enough money.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:What the hell are they planning that they're not revealing anything in advance?

Only thing I can think of is all the info we're getting in the trailers (Kaworu, Asuka, whatever else) is a false sense of security that certain events are similar to NGE when they really won't be? Although 2.0's theatrical release showed NME has already gone off the rails, so maybe that line of thinking is out.

Either way, it's surprising to think that showing anymore then the few same clips or images we've already seen would really spoil whatever the hell Studio Khara has planned.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

XX
Embryo

Revered man returns...

•      
  •      

Postby XX » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:He isn't big name staff, but he's a damn awesome animator that has lots of great work under his belt.

http://www18.atwiki.jp/sakuga/pages/8.html

His contribution should be quite noticible.

He is actually a really. BIG. name... he is a legend! A master of realistic style on Japanese animation, and his involvement on this film was for me the better surprise to come out of it. Another tidbit from his work:

:: CATSUKA PLAYER :: MAD Hiroyuki Okiura 2
http://www.catsuka.com/player/mad_Hiroyuki_Okiura2

His contributions on many works some years ago were always at its peak in all the cuts he managed, but after all the time passed since he disappeared from the scene as he was working on A Letter to Momo (more than 7 years since planning and pre-production, and this was a very personal and absorbing project) probably made him less notorious to animation fans lately. Nevertheless, I'm sure the inner circles of the professional Japanese animation world are now calling constantly to his door and equally excited to see him back (maybe as a freelance for some time as well? That I don't know yet).

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am

Hiroyuki Okiura is legendary tier animator with instantly recognizable touch. Him being involved with 3.0 actually IS a big deal.

Hiroyuki Okiura animation in my Eva? oh god YES YES YES

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: Revered man returns...

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 pm

View Original PostXX wrote:He is actually a really. BIG. name... he is a legend!

What I meant by "He isn't big name staff" was a response to this:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Although, I don't notice his name in the staff information here, unless he doesn't have a lead staff credit.

XX
Embryo

Re: Revered man returns...

•      
  •      

Postby XX » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:What I meant by "He isn't big name staff" was a response to this:

Oh, I see now what you meant... sorry!

Some say that apart from the core staff aligned with Hideaki Anno since the beginning, they've been lately requesting left and right for help of animators they have close relationship with because they did miss key milestones since early stages of the production, as the risky try-and-error process they devised for the Rebuild of Evangelion film's workflow (much time spent on animatics and test footage with CGI models) has burned much of it. That is why the already mentioned Production I.G's Mitsuhisa Ishikawa said Mr. Okiura's was actually working on this as of very, very recently... and Shigeto Koyama talked about reworking bits only one month-and-a-half away from the premiere ([url]http://www.gainax.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41336#p41336[/url]).

This should be one of the reasons for all the secrecy around the movie production, and so little confirmed staff for it.

Now that the old rumors mentioning Mr. Okiura for this have been confirmed, I wonder if the same ones that mentioned Mitsuo Iso as well hold truth... with Mr. Honda as animation director it would be a real feat not to create some friction between them as a result!

dummysystem
Embryo

Re: Q-related Article Archive

•      
  •      

Postby dummysystem » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:33 pm

maybe not only related to 3.0 but to the whole Rebuild : booklet of 1.11
(I'm sure you can read it directly form your 1.11 copy)

I find this pretty interesting, as it echoes the different theories about 3.0. I think that we're actually reviving episode #25-26 from the TV ( a world that could have existed) . If you remember '96, there was a lot of rage against Anno because of these 2 episodes ( the result of this was Death & Rebirth). I remember reading somewhere that through eva, Anno wanted to make a critic of the Japanese animation/otaku, stuff like think by yourself.

In the booklet, Anno also says :

[...]I feel that there needs to be a work of animation targeted towards them

It seems, like in '95-96, Anno is still on a mission and try to reproduce the same scheme. I don't know exactly the reaction of the Japanese public but last week I have read ( here ?) that already the 3rd movie is divided the fans. Whatever direction will be 4.0 ( everything in Shinji's mind , a multiverse , Mary a time traveler, or a mega happy-end à-la-DieBuster), I think we were fully indoctrinated.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.
Caprica6, BSG[/url]
However, the more likely reason he wore gloves was to mask the obvious physical evidence that he had fused Adam into his right hand.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 am

Pastebin links to theatrical booklet interviews being translated by /A/nonymous:

http://pastebin.com/Ygr32fm0
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

dummysystem
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dummysystem » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:41 am

not sure if this is the correct thread.
Kotaku has an article describing some analysis of the 6mn trailer, in term of mechanics ( how eva02 is making the rendezvous with eva01 and some other description about space orbits, etc ...)
The analysis has been done by the Tokyo Metropolitan University Space Systems Laboratory.

Kotaku post : [url]http://kotaku.com/5964200/heres-why-the-new-evangelion-movie-is-surprisingly-realistic?[/url]
Space Systems Laboratory article : [url]http://www.sd.tmu.ac.jp/ssl/discussion_q.html[/url]

Still interesting.
However, the more likely reason he wore gloves was to mask the obvious physical evidence that he had fused Adam into his right hand.

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 am

View Original Postdummysystem wrote:not sure if this is the correct thread.
Kotaku has an article describing some analysis of the 6mn trailer, in term of mechanics ( how eva02 is making the rendezvous with eva01 and some other description about space orbits, etc ...)
The analysis has been done by the Tokyo Metropolitan University Space Systems Laboratory.

Kotaku post : [url]http://kotaku.com/5964200/heres-why-the-new-evangelion-movie-is-surprisingly-realistic?[/url]
Space Systems Laboratory article : [url]http://www.sd.tmu.ac.jp/ssl/discussion_q.html[/url]

Still interesting.

I really like it if science fiction writers try to be very accurate when it comes to depiction of real science.
+1 for Anno

Guess LCL physics will never change tho :P

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”