Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:49 pm

I thought a bit about it, if Ooarai manages to get close enough they can maneuver around the heavy anti-tank killers maybe even destroy their tracks rendering them useless. The smaller Jagdpanzer are harder to avoid though. Tigers and Panther are obviously the most dangerous ones. Unless they can seperate or stretch BF's lines I have no idea how they can nullify the numerical disadvantage.

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:couldn't they just put wider treads on to distribute the weight over a larger area in order to not sink in the mud?

I suppose that's what they did

SPOILER: Show

although I'm not sure if it will help much. The weight distrubution of the chassis is just terrible with wide tracks or not.

Btw, the entire scene was a reference to Miyazaki's manga Tigers in the mud, which I mentioned before.

Last edited by Fireball on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I recall seeing Otto Carius' book Tigers in the Mud online. Turns out that this inspired Miyazaki. Even turns out that Carius is still alive and you can purchase a signed copy of his book from the pharmacy that he founded.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:01 am

LOOK WHAT SANTA BROUGHT

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ly-planned

According to Joyo Newspaper, a sequel to Girls und Panzer has been under contemplation. The article reported that the anime greatly contributed to the promotion of the tourism in the model city Oarai.

Director Mizushima Tsutomu apologized on his blog for the delayed airing of the remaining two episodes and said "I don't think the episode 12 will be the end of the story. I'll show something to repay the fans' supports."

Sources: Joyo Newspaper, Mizushima's Blog

-----

Also the Beach OVA is finally out. Sadly no real subs yet but youtube's translation makes up for it.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:I recall seeing Otto Carius' book Tigers in the Mud online. Turns out that this inspired Miyazaki. Even turns out that Carius is still alive and you can purchase a signed copy of his book from the pharmacy that he founded.

He lives like 2 hours away from me. Maybe I should get my Tigerfibel signed too? (bestest Tiger I website there is btw)

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:03 am

Mm this makes me very happy.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 am

Maybe this is a dumb question, but tell me why I should watch this show?

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:38 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but tell me why I should watch this show?

girls and tanks
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:10 am

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:girls and tanks

Anything else? This show has been much of the talk this season.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:10 pm

What Knighty said. There is nothing particular groundbreaking about it but it does everything so swell that you are not really missing anything. It's as much title as you can get.

Pros
- It has girls
- It has tanks
- The girls are cute and lovable
- The tanks aren't so bad themselves
- Production value remains high through all episodes
- It has a female version of Erwin Rommel and she's babin' as fuck.

Cons
- Nothing, Jesus fuck did you not read the pros?

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:59 pm

I see. It's because one of my Twitter contacts was talking much about it almost everyday, and wondering why it sold quickly like pancakes and hot maple syrup.

Also, I'm getting hypnotized by the Anglerfish Dance.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm

I cannot believe i'm actually considering watching this, from everything i've heard about this anime it seems to be, at the very least, extremely fun/enjoyable.

I'll be damned if i'll ever stop being weirded out at the premise, though.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:16 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Anything else? This show has been much of the talk this season.

The music is awesome. The battle music has this cheerful, military sounding music (some of which they invented, some of which is public domain). If you've watched Strike Witches, you'll know what I'm talking about. The British team has commanders named after varieties of tea and their theme is the British Grenadiers March. The Russian team gets Tchaikovsky as background music and at one point they all bust out a rendition of the Russian wartime folk song their commander is named for.
Also, the action is great and there's a good amount of it. Episode 9 in particular was incredible.
Also, Yukari.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 am

There is an update to the story though that there is currently no sequel in progress:
Update 2: Hirooka, a publicity staff member for the Girls und Panzer anime, posted on the anime's official blog that there are currently no plans for a sequel. Hirooka specifically described the newspaper report as "mistaken information" and apologized for the confusion among fans.

He added, "Of course, the possibility [of a sequel] is not zero, but first, the entire staff is working our hardest on the broadcast of episode 11 and 12. We ask for your continued support."

Things are leaning towards Ooarai somehow winning the national championship. After this it would be difficult to come up with a sequel to meet the expectations set by the first season. Things could be expanded to a worldwide Sensha-do tournament involving other countries. However part of the appeal was also seeing various tank models that are not as well known in action as well as the more well known models. The same appeal wouldn't be there if World War II tanks pop up again but could be remedied if the teams start using the next generation of tanks, say Cold War era. As much as I too would like to see a sequel, I would be happy if one does come out but not crushed if one doesn't.

Personally I like the show because of an interest in military, primarily World War II matters. And even if you don't, the tank driving is quite impressive for girls that don't even have their driver's license yet.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Of course they are trying to step on the breaks now but it's not like the newspaper said it was official in the first place. "We're considering it" was their own choice of words and with the tremendous success it would be really surprising not see more of it.

"Sold out!"

To be honest I don't think Ooarai is gonna win. It will come down to Miho vs her sister and I'm sure the dilemma to save her friends or win at all costs will play a part again if not decide the outcome. The school will then keep running because they were impressive and honorable or something along those lines.

I can see a lot of possibilities for another season though. World Cup, modern tanks, planes, ships even a prequel. The manga has touched on showing Miho's childhood and how she grew up under the Nishizumi school.

View Original Postjimmiel wrote:Also, Yukari.

She is definitely the fan-favorite.

The OST is finally out btw. (Panzerlied confirmed for the last episodes)

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 pm

View Original Postjimmiel wrote:The music is awesome. The battle music has this cheerful, military sounding music (some of which they invented, some of which is public domain). If you've watched Strike Witches, you'll know what I'm talking about. The British team has commanders named after varieties of tea and their theme is the British Grenadiers March. The Russian team gets Tchaikovsky as background music and at one point they all bust out a rendition of the Russian wartime folk song their commander is named for.
Also, the action is great and there's a good amount of it. Episode 9 in particular was incredible.
Also, Yukari.

I come back from the holidays, I'll get this.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:05 am

Yukari is great, she's such an adorable character (the infiltration scene is hilarious).

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 am

View Original PostJune wrote:Yukari is great, she's such an adorable character (the infiltration scene is hilarious).

I dig her fluffy hair and her earnestness and her "Nishizumi-dono"-ing.
View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I come back from the holidays, I'll get this.

Oh, good. It's a fun show, and backed by surprising quality.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Watched the 2nd recap ep, 10.5. It's mentioned that the Sensha-do rules stipulate that any tanks that may be used have to be production or prototype models as of August 15, 1945 vintage (initial announcement of the Japanese surrender). So nothing newer than that. I wouldn't mind seeing something involving purely light tanks and without the heavies and mediums since there is a plethora of types in the light class.

As for the OST, all the music from the series is on Disc 1 while the derived music is on Disc 2, like Katyusha, Erika (which I misidentified as Panzerlied above) and the British Grenadiers.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

There's a new OVA that was just put up online, it's most likely new stuff so ya'll should check it out.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:27 pm

The Water War beach OVA. Waiting for the sub on that.

Update: Obtained.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Oh fuck you Commie

Return to “Anime and Manga”