[MANGA] [NGE] Is it worth it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

C.W.Robson46290
Embryo

[NGE] Is it worth it?

Postby C.W.Robson46290 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Alright, I'm not sure where I fit in the spectrum. I deffinitely feel that I have some legitimate understanding of EVA. I own the Perfect collection of the series, and have seen EoE sort of (meaning that I did see it, but it was borrowed, I only saw it once, and didn't really get it) and I have not read any of the manga at all. So my question is this, Does the general concensus agree that the manga will be beneficial for furthering either my understanding or my enjoyment of EVA?
P.S. When I said I own the perfect collection, I mean I've owned it for some some and have seen it beginning to end at least 6-10 times, not counting all the random discs I've pulled and watched (particularly the Leliel disc, disc #6 I believe).
Last edited by C.W.Robson46290 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between intelligence and wisdom is knowing when to stop giving advice.

If you continually focus on what makes someone different from you, you'll never realize how truly similar you are.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

Postby SEELE 08 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:34 pm

I love the manga and I would suggest it, its a slightly different take on the series, and just as much fun (plus more Keel in the later volumes, would could be bad about that?)
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:14 pm

No, not really. Read it anyway though; it's awesome.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:44 pm

I think it really depends on how open minded you are. Lately a lot of people are starting to criticise the manga for being different. Some are even going to far as putting it at the same level as amateur fan fiction.

It will not further either your understanding of or appreciation for the Eva anime. But if you want more Eva, and accept that it is not the same as the anime, and that it's another person's recreation of the series, you might want to pick it up.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 am

Well I liked the anime better then the manga, but despite all the nay saying I think the mangas pretty good, it even does a few things better then the anime. The manga made a few slight changes to the characters that people tend to blow out of proportion especially Kaworu, I'm still going to argue that the manga and anime Kaworu arent so different from each other, but I'll leave that for another time. I think the character who changed the most is Shinji whose more angry and less mopey then in the anime, but that can be expected since in the manga he killed his freind as oppossed to just maiming him. The manga also left out a few of the angels and jetalone. Too bad they left out lelial, that was a cool angel.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

C.W.Robson46290
Embryo

Postby C.W.Robson46290 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:47 pm

Well thank you all! Even with this limited response so far, this has been greatly helpful. Although I'm a little disappointed to hear about the absence of Leliel, I'm thinking that this will be worth my time after all. Thanks again!
The difference between intelligence and wisdom is knowing when to stop giving advice.

If you continually focus on what makes someone different from you, you'll never realize how truly similar you are.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:13 am

read the damn manga
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

the3rdchildren
Adam

Postby the3rdchildren » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:40 am

I'm really enjoying the Evangelion manga. It's nice to experience something Evangelion-related that remains artistically consistent. That said, I think a lot of the changes are made for the better, with the expansion on certain events and characters (Kaji and Kaworu) and the more likeable Shinji. It's also nice to see scenes where Shinji is just being a kid, hanging out with Toji and Kensuke about Tokyo-3 and such.

But what I like the most about the Evangelion manga is it's still ongoing. It's still an "official" retelling of Evangelion that is unfinished, and with enough alterations made throughout it's publication that we're not quite sure where it's going to end up. I'm fairly sure we'll get a slightly shifted take on The End of Evangelion somehow.

Too bad they can't take the manga and anime storylines and merge aspects of them into a remake of the series. I'd love to see what they could do with the current animation technology and undeniably HUGE budget they'd spill on this cash cow.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Yay, I just ordered volumes 3 and 4. :)

Auska
Embryo

Postby Auska » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:25 pm

Evangelion is my fav show in the whole world!!!! And I totally think you should get the manga its really cool!!

wildstraydog
Embryo

Postby wildstraydog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 pm

ok iam not gonna lie here, i personally think the manga is better. now before people start flaming me and stuff its proably the fact that i read the manga first and then watched the anime,and dont go saying the anime came first because the manga came out in 1995 and 8 months before the anime started so 8 chapters were already out......thats all i gotta say peace out!! XD

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:45 pm

While I still prefer the Anime, from the four volumes I've read, I think the manga is a very good companion piece to the Anime, and it's interesting to take a slightly different look at some of the characters. Tomarrow I'm going to try and get my hands on volumes 5 and 6, because going to Virginia later this week (by van), and I'm going to want something to read. I like what I've read so far, and I definately think I'll be reading the Mangas for the long haul.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:50 am

I, too, like the manga better. It's more focused on character development than Angel battles. Moreso, the manga follows more closely the original story outline thought by Anno than the anime.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:01 am

AuthenticM wrote:the manga follows more closely the original story outline thought by Anno than the anime.

Only in that a cat is associated with Kaworu, and two of the angels are switched back into the original order.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Darius
Lilith

Postby Darius » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:59 pm

I don't understand why people are going craz aobut critisizing the manga...Mr. Sadamoto is one of the founding members of Eva..he's also the character designer..So, the manga would be as much Canaon as the Anime is..it's just that it's in his views not Annos...Like I like the anime more (sicne I saw it first and since i've only read the first volume of the manga) but opinions can change

the only thing i hate about mr. Sadamoto is liking Rei more than Asuka..lol

but then again..it all comes down to opinion and this was mine...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Darius wrote:Mr. Sadamoto is one of the founding members of Eva..

He is? Where did you read that?

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:25 pm

I've just ordered Volume 1 to 9 on Amazon not long ago. I can't wait to read them all!
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Darius
Lilith

Postby Darius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:19 pm

Ornette wrote:

Err..I think I recall reading it from wiki...unless i'm mistaking it with someone else.. But, I guess if you're asking that, he musn't be then..oh well.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:41 pm

Ornette wrote:

He was involved in drawing character concepts; and the first manga stages predated the anime, soo...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Darius
Lilith

Postby Darius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Sooo...I wasn't wrong and he is one of the founding members?

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”