What classical music would you like to see in Q and Final?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

What classical music would you like to see in Q and Final?

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am

Two of my favorite classical pieces have already been featured in Evangelion, namely:

"Air" from Bach's 3rd Orchestral Suite

and the Prelude from Bach's "Cello Suite No. 1"

After seeing it featured in both The Big O and Prometheus, I felt that this could be of use, possibly during a contemplative scene. (Since I'm sure 3.0's gonna be full of those....)

Chopin's "Raindrop Prelude"

I've tried audio-swapping this one into a few of Eva's battle scenes, and it's worked out pretty well.

Karl Jenkins' "Palladio"

This one would probably fit in during a survey of the Earth after a Third (Fourth?) Impact event, a "calm after the storm" scene.

Debussy's "Clair de Lune" - Piano
Debussy's "Clair de Lune" - Orchestral

Any more ideas? In an effort to not have this deteriorate into a "POST YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC" thread, try to include a reasoning behind your choices.

EDIT: Seeing you guys talk about proper URLs made me want to clean up the ones in my post.
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 am

It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:47 am

I definitely agree with you, riffraff, about II Air and Prelude.
I also would like to see Beethoven's 9th make a return.

EDIT: Thanks guys for showing me how to URL properly. :)
Last edited by Merkaba on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:I definitely agree with you, riffraff, about II Air and Prelude.
I also would like to see [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jkj1l-mlM&feature=related[/url] return.

EDIT: How do people post a link and then change what the link says (i.e. remove the URL and place a word/the title of what the link represents?)

Place the link in the first url bracket with a =. F.E: (URL=link goes here)words words words(/URL)

For more info go here: http://forum.evageeks.org/faq.php?mode=bbcode#8
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:EDIT: How do people post a link and then change what the link says (i.e. remove the URL and place a word/the title of what the link represents?)

[code:1][url=http:\\www.mylink.eu]what you want do display[/url][/code:1]
Anyway, Evangelion already used two of my favourite classical pieces, An Die Freude and Air on the G String, honestly I have no idea about additional tracks that they could use, maybe Vivaldi's Le Quattro Stagioni?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm

This is so cliche, but I want Canon in D.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:03 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:This is so cliche, but I want Canon in D.

Canon in D was used in Death & Rebirth, but it would be cool to see it return.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What classical music would you like to see in Q and Fina

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Two of my favorite classical pieces have already been featured in Evangelion, namely:

Bach's "Air on the G String"

I have no idea why it's so immensely pervasive that people call Bach's Air, one of the movements from his 3rd Orchestral Suite, "Air on the G String", which is an arrangement by some violin player who changed the key to C so that he could play the melody all on the G string of his violin. It's not the same thing. That youtube video even says it's the original D key (and if you listen to it, it's clearly in D major). People, even professionals, always mislabel it as "Air on the G string".

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: What classical music would you like to see in Q and Fina

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I have no idea why it's so immensely pervasive that people call Bach's Air, one of the movements from his 3rd Orchestral Suite, "Air on the G String", which is an arrangement by some violin player who changed the key to C so that he could play it all on the G string of his violin. It's not the same thing. That youtube video even says it's the original D key (and if you listen to it, it's clearly in D major). People, even professionals, always mislabel it as "Air on the G string".

Yeah, I have it listed as "Air" in my iPod, but I assumed from all the hits I was getting on YouTube that "Air on the G String" was the actual title. Thanks for the info. Changing it now.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:19 pm

I've always thought Anno could get a little "horrible things happen for ten minutes while i play unfitting music" mileage out of Brahms' Nänie. Doesn't that sound like, I don't know, NME Kaworu suddenly bursting into crazyfaced bloodlust and using his AT field to paint the walls with the entire Nerv command crew or something?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I've always thought Anno could get a little "horrible things happen for ten minutes while i play unfitting music" mileage out of Brahms' Nänie. Doesn't that sound like, I don't know, NME Kaworu suddenly bursting into crazyfaced bloodlust and using his AT field to paint the walls with the entire Nerv command crew or something?

Pieces with choral parts such as this seem to fit Kaworu's character better than purely orchestral pieces. So, yeah, I agree.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:36 pm

16 minutes long, barely coherent formally and narratively Instrumentality sequence set to Beethoven's (in)famous Große Fuge

FUND IT

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:43 pm

I wonder if Anno still vaguely remembers of Borodin's Polovetsian Dances...
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:03 am

Verdi's Dies Irae. Borodin's Polovtsian Dances.

And you gotta have some Ludwig Van, duh.

For actually real though, lately one of the things that's been bugging me about the use of Bach's "Air" in EoE is how it comes completely out of nowhere. There is no prior mention of Bach or the piece anywhere in the series and no clear indication of its thematic significance. One gets the impression that Anno and Tsurumaki just said to each other, "You know what would make this gory-fight-scene-intercut-with-a-dramatic-betrayal totally wacky?? A completely dissonant classical music soundtrack, duh!! Worked twice before!"

Only the two times it worked before it actually had some degree of context. Now it's just weird.

For that matter, why is there a jarringly dissonant English vocal piece later on in the film too, aside from just "Gundam did it"? I mean, why is it there?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 am

I view the piece as expressing the hidden (from Asuka) nature of the MPE battle, that it's not the new birth she thinks it is, rather a tragic inevitable defeat. Also, they needed a track that intercut gracefully with the Ritsuko scene. Standard Eva action music would have been even more jarring there. It's an interesting way to tie those two scenes together -- both heroines are bound to lose, they just don't know it yet.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:30 am

Yeah but just sticking in an iconic piece of classical music by an iconic Western composer carries with it a whole truckload of cultural and symbolic baggage beyond simply "it fits this scene I guess". Again, it woulda been nice if the piece had had some explicit, previously-established connection with the plot or themes of the series. At least the cello ensemble in Death had that much going for it.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:46 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I view the piece as expressing the hidden (from Asuka) nature of the MPE battle, that it's not the new birth she thinks it is, rather a tragic inevitable defeat. Also, they needed a track that intercut gracefully with the Ritsuko scene. Standard Eva action music would have been even more jarring there. It's an interesting way to tie those two scenes together -- both heroines are bound to lose, they just don't know it yet.

Nicely put. Hadn't though about it like that before...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:06 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:There is no prior mention of Bach or the piece anywhere in the series and no clear indication of its thematic significance.

Suiten für Violoncello solo Nr.1 G-dur, BWV. 1007.Vorspier and Partita III für Violino solo E-dur, BWV. 1006 3. Gavotte in Rondo would like to have a word or two with you.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:10 am

Yeah fine, I remembered that right after posting. Still not significant enough to really count for anything, though.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Still not significant enough to really count for anything, though.

Actually I don't even exactly understand what you're getting at. Why don't they count? Also, why does it have to have an "explicit, previously-established connection with the plot or themes of the series"?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”