The Olympics

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

The Olympics

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:42 pm

We need a topic for the Olympic games, don´t we?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Yep. :)

I'm gonna be watching in a few minutes. Apparently it's just talking so far (started at 7:30 EDT).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Anyway, my favorite nations are Germany, Japan and Portugal.

They just showed this old man(Paul Mccartney) singing like a maniac. Every old man should have this guy´s energy.

Unfurtunatly, the "show" isn´t being has nice has the one in Beijing...

Make the Olympic games in Portugal dammit! :impatient:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm watching some kind of threeway between Tolkien, Dickens, and Wells. What the shit?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Tell me, did they whip out the Zeppelin or did the whole thing just suck

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Tell me, did they whip out the Zeppelin or did the whole thing just suck

Hum? It wasn´t bad. I mean, you weren´t expecting them to be able to beat the show in Beijing, right?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:42 pm

The industrial revolution part was cool but after the queen jumped out of James Bond's helicopter and Mary Poppins killed Voldemort I tuned out.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:The industrial revolution part was cool but after the queen jumped out of James Bond's helicopter and Mary Poppins killed Voldemort I tuned out.

What?! I missed that!(I´d probably die of heart attack if I watched it)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Most of the people who have posted in this topic so far are all the same age*. Relevance? None.

I'm not much for sports but I still enjoy the festive energy that comes with the Olympics. Four years ago I was on vacation at a lakeside house, playing games on my laptop up on a balcony while I could hear my family and relatives watching the games in the living room below. I enjoyed that atmosphere, if not the Olympics themselves.

By the way, four years ago the blackboard at the top of the page referenced the Olympics, and it remained there for a long while after the Olympics. Now that the Olympics are back, should we put one of the old lines back?

(* Note: This will change at midnight tonight. Or, technically, 11:32pm local time, but I was born one time zone over from where I am now.)
Last edited by Monk Ed on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Waste of money, waste of time. Just like most council projects (I.E. abstract art bullshit). We should of just refused when the shit hit the fan back during the financial crisis, but nooooooo.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Poor TR. *pats you on back* Look on the bright side, after the games your country might have bragging rights for a few years. :leekspin:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Poor TR. *pats you on back* Look on the bright side, after the games your country might have bragging rights for a few years. :leekspin:

They´ve had the Olympic games 3 times. There is no longer fun in bragging, and if you do you´re just going to look like an idiot.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Waste of money, waste of time. Just like most council projects (I.E. abstract art bullshit). We should of just refused when the shit hit the fan back during the financial crisis, but nooooooo.

Oh hush you. The Olympics probably do more to promote cultural understanding and acceptance than any ad campaign ever could, and for that it's quite literally priceless.

Regarding the ceremony: It was good but I agree it had some low points.
Last edited by CJD on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I was referring to gold medals and performances.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Oh hush you. The Olympics probably do more to promote cultural understanding and acceptance than any ad campaign ever could, and for that it's quite literally priceless.

And that says nothing of the triumph of large commercial interests over local businesses. Or perhaps of the IOC over freedom of speech.

Anyway, I'm not going to be able to watch that much of the Olympics anyway, since I'll be doing field work for almost the entire duration.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Olympic Debtitude. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:56 am

^ I'd like to point out that the 1984 Olympics was ran like a business, more than paid for itself, and that L.A. (the host city) to this day still draws on the benefits from that.

This Olympics, to cost $4 Billion, actually cost $14 (so far). I feel sorry for the backs of the British subjects carrying this one, and amidst a double-dip recession no less.

CJD wrote: acceptance than any ad campaign ever could

That's actually just quite how the 1984 Olympics turned a profit, Broadcasting Rights and ad revenue.

It's not impossible to do, you just got to take "ego" out of the decision-making.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:15 am

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:And that says nothing of the triumph of large commercial interests over local businesses. Or perhaps of the IOC over freedom of speech.

Don't look at me. My entire point is that the Olympics aren't about money or an economy. If the Olympics generated zero revenue, was an entire economic loss, I'd still be for them even if they were going to be in my home town. What they provide is more valuable than any sum of money. Yea, shit like you link to sucks, but that's perpetuated by "necessity".
View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:That's actually just quite how the 1984 Olympics turned a profit, Broadcasting Rights and ad revenue.

I think you misunderstood my remark. I was saying that no ad campaign is going to further cultural understanding and acceptance more than a concerted multinational effort like the Olympics, not remarking on the profitability of ads.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:54 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:My entire point is that the Olympics aren't about money
:pointlaugh:

This is Cracked.com being out-crassed by what's really happening in this country right now. And here's a more sober assessment.

It is of course possible for the Olympic Games to be held without placing a multi-billion loss to the public purse. You just have to start by not splurging on new special-purpose white-elephant infrastructure.

Related and less cynical --
http://media.talkingpointsmemo.com/slideshow/london-olympics-1948
http://media.talkingpointsmemo.com/slideshow/london-olympics-1908
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote::pointlaugh:

You know what I meant.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

MONEY! BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:16 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:I think you misunderstood my remark.

I did not, I'm saying, ads about togetherness and the greater good, with the Olympic label (and some given product, made by a sponsor), paid for the 1984 Olympics, and have helped to pay for several others before and since.

View Original PostCJD wrote:My entire point is that the Olympics aren't about money

Sure it is, just not for the people hosting it (typically). It's money for the sponsors, for the people buying & selling televised ad times, and...

I'm thinking you also missed the part where Malaysia was noted to be offering a gold bar for each of its athletes who win a Gold medal.

And they aren't the only nation offering bonuses.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”