Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

[Anime] Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Crystal

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

MandarinOrange
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MandarinOrange » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 pm

I saw the announcement a couple of weeks ago. I'm so happy :3

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Pelo bem e pela justiça!

I hope they do a portuguese translation, it would become an instant classic! I mean, they switched the name of the guy that likes Sailor Moon( in Sailor Moon R, I think) for Gonçalo!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Contrast. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:53 am

Me: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sister: "YEEEESSSS- wait, are they seriously bringing back the old cast?"
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: Contrast. B/

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Me: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

also my reaction, and I still think "sailor moon" sounds like a strippers stage name.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:20 am

I´m going to see this just for the transformation scenes. They have to put a chorus screaming SAILOR MOON in the background.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 am

We probably wouldn't have series like Utena and Madoka if it weren't for Sailor Moon. Also, Misato's hair style (Usagi's bangs!) and seiyuu. :tongue:

You don't have to like Sailor Moon, but it helped influence tons of things.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Contrast. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:also my reaction, and I still think "sailor moon" sounds like a strippers stage name.

You think Sailor Moon is girly? Go watch any Pretty Cure series (especially Smile). Sailor Moon is fucking butch compared to it.

Seriously, someone put me in a coma until the summer of 2013. The wait is killing me.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Not enough. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:We probably wouldn't have series like Utena and Madoka if it weren't for Sailor Moon.

I haven't seen either of those things. Utena is really only a source of outlandish AMV shenanigans to me (so thanks for the laughs?).

And IMO, the pairing of Mahou Kanojo with a Sentai formula was rather inevitable.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Not enough. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:18 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:And IMO, the pairing of Mahou Kanojo with a Sentai formula was rather inevitable.

The same can be said for every original idea, really. What made shows like Sailor Moon, Evangelion, and such so unique and revolutionary was that they did something that hadn't been done before. It doesn't matter how "obvious" an idea is in retrospect, it matters at the time it was made. Evangelion and Sailor Moon have plots and elements that are pretty cliche today (and even back then at some points), but it was handled extremely well and both have very good and memorable characters.

For example with the whole "every idea is inevitable" concept: Madoka isn't even the first grimdark Magical Girl series. Remember Nanoha's later seasons? I really feel like people who sing endless praise to the show while criticizing others in the same genre (not all of them) haven't really seen any other Magical Girl shows aside from maybe the standard filler episode of Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura a couple of times and fail to realize how dark/deep/mature/whatever they and other shows could be. A good example is Princess Tutu.

SPOILER: Show
The same could be said for many Eva fans with the Mecha Genre.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I haven't seen either of those things. Utena is really only a source of outlandish AMV shenanigans to me (so thanks for the laughs?).

It's a damn shame we don't have more of these things with Utena.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:43 am

View Original PostSeen wrote:. What made shows like Sailor Moon, Evangelion, and such so unique

They're incomparable. Sailor Moon had no transcendental objective, it was just a show to sell toys (not that I have anything against that).

Evangelion performed a first by making "Robots" human-like in their proportions and behavior, but that wasn't what the show was about.

View Original PostSeen wrote:A good example is Princess Tutu.

Which defies cliché by having well-thought out characters and Pixar-like sensibilities. Because of that, it transcended its own premise to be something heart-felt. Utena (and Evangelion) aside, it's really the only thoughtful show here mentioned.

When I read reviews of Madoka or Nonaha, I don't see much love for heart-gripping plots or ground-breaking characterization. It's more so for the animation, atmosphere, or love of the ludicrous concepts the shows are playing with.

And I get that. There's junk I love too, it's just not this.

If you can find some meaningful connection between Sailor Moon and Princess Tutu, I might give it credit there, but I won't for other junk that just as equally, fails to draw my interest (And I won't for Utena either, as though it's clear to me that show is thoughtful in some way, it's still not something I'd watch, so much as poke with a stick).

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:00 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Evangelion performed a first by making "Robots" human-like in their proportions and behavior, but that wasn't what the show was about.

No it wasn't the first. There's mecha designs that predate Eva that doesn't involve things like mobile suits that are large, square, or chunky. Bubblegum Crisis comes to mind (they even have a purple mecha with a unicorn-like horn). Personally, I can't think of very many "firsts", at least off of the top of my currently drunk head, that Eva is involved in, not even the Rei character archetype. But it is a show that popularized a lot of things.

That said, there may be firsts that Sailor Moon did. Personally, I think shoujo in generally was around before, but outside of Go Nagai, I can't think of an earlier example of the modern formula of magical girl. But Go Nagai's magical girls were nude.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:49 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Bubblegum Crisis comes to mind

Yeah, heard that one before, and I'll tell you the same response; those aren't mecha. The show had at best, exoskeletons, but most of the time they were just powered suits.

But even if Evangelion wasn't truly the first, it was at least the codifier/"trope maker", the one that that used it effectively enough to inspire the entire Mecha genre away from the more conventional Gundam-image.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:not even the Rei character archetype.

Another codifier.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I think shoujo in generally was around before,

Indeed it was.

Like Gundam to mecha, Sailor Moon wasn't the start of a new genre, but a sub-version of an existing one.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Yeah, heard that one before, and I'll tell you the same response; those aren't mecha. The show had at best, exoskeletons, but most of the time they were just powered suits.

I am aware that the main characters of Bubblegum Crisis are really wearing powered suits. But there were piloted mecha in the series, and at least one in particular, a sleek looking purple robot with a horn (who was one of the bad guys in one particular episode), was not a powered suit, but borderline piloted giant robot. It's not as big as an Eva, though, but it wasn't the same thing as the powered suits from the series.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:58 am

Not watching unless Tuxedo Mask finally does something.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:02 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Not watching unless Tuxedo Mask finally does something.

if you want to watch series about Tuxedo Mask you watch Captain Harlock

(Tuxedo Mask was based on him so no bs)

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:01 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Indeed it was.

Like Gundam to mecha, Sailor Moon wasn't the start of a new genre, but a sub-version of an existing one.

Sailor Moon was the codifier of the Magical Girl Soldier genre. Cutie Honey is the first to actually do it, though (although she was seen as a female protagonist of a shonen series at the time).

As for the whole toy thing, it wasn't made for toys. Not the original manga anyways.

Funny story though: As the show was half-way through it's first season, Toei was preparing to cancel it because the merchandise wasn't selling enough, despite the fact that it got good ratings and the manga was selling well. Shortly after, Sailor Moon's wand went on sale, and parents ended up fighting in the stores for it. That toy ended up saving the show.

God I hate Toei.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:05 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Not watching unless Tuxedo Mask finally does something.

If this new anime series is based on the manga, he will. The manga series is different from the original anime series with how characters act and their abilities.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:13 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:If this new anime series is based on the manga, he will. The manga series is different from the original anime series with how characters act and their abilities.

That reminds me of the time I was in Germany, there was the Sailor Moon manga for sale...Why didn´t I buy it?(even if my german is terrible).
The only mangas for sale in Portugal are DBZ and Naruto...

Oh well, I still have to wait a very, very long time for Sailor Moon. :(

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Haven't seen any new news about the 2013 anime on the Internets such as the official website. I'm sure we'll get some news of the new series soon enough.

The other day I got around to watching the subtitled 20 Anniversary Live Event (where the new anime series was announced) and Mitsuishi mentioned Eva/Anno twice.

Figured I'd share since this is an Eva board. :wink: Although Sadamoto giving Misato Usagi-chan's bangs is old old news. Sadamoto himself mentioned this in the In The Beginning PV.

SPOILER: Show
I didn't screencap every single exchange, just enough to get the jist.

Kotono Mitsuishi on the left, Naoko's editor Osabu (Osa-p~) on the right, Toru Furuya in the middle. :)

Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Anime and Manga”