[LAEM] Tokyo 3 is alive...with the sound of Muuuusic!

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Tokyo 3 is alive...with the sound of Muuuusic!

Postby Kiel » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:57 am

Alright, let's get down to brass tax here!

Eva music. Who? What? How? Why?

Personally, I'll be really peaved if Cruel Angel's Thesis isn't in there somewhere!

I love the Eva OST...even if the battle music is a little bland and repetitive.

What does everybody else think?

nani?
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:50 am

Personally I vote for a more classical route, maybe tap John Williams or the guy who did LOTR for the soundtrack. A few theme songs from the series, definity Cruel Angels Thesis, Komm Susser Tod, and Thantos. That and we have to have the classic Berserker Theme as well.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:04 pm

I like the idea of a composer like Elliot Goldenthal or John Williams playing upon motifs of the original sound track. Expanding upon or re-interpretting some of the music would be very cool to see.

Spider-Man has the goofy old Spider-Man song in it...
Mortal Kombat had Techno Syndrome #5 from the first game in it...

Previously existing music does get worked into an adaptation on occasion. Lets hope this is one of those ocassions. I will be quite dissapointed if there's no Cruel Angel's Thesis, Thanatos, or Komm Susser Todd.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Esion » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:26 pm

I personally hope that they keep Rei's theme, it's very haunting and goes excellent with the overall theme of the show.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:37 pm

I think they should keep a lot of the classical pieces that were used in Eva.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Kiel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:48 am

I'm glad that we're all in agreeance over the original
Eva music idea.

My dream opening of the movie would be to slowly zoom in on
Earth from space...

*Zoomige on Earth*

Narrator: (possibly the english VA for Misato)

In the year 2000, mankind seemed to be on the peak of its development...
...yadda yadda yadda...

*Big Badda Boom*

*shot of Earth with the Explosion from second impact*

*zoom shot into Earht's atmosphere*

*fades to blue background with the Tree of Life laced onto it*

Cue Cruel Angel's Thesis...

Credits: Gainax studios,
ADV video,
WETA digital present...

And, well, it pretty much follows the Tv opening from there!

HEY! wouldn't it be neat if they opened the movie with the TV opening, then transitioned to LIve action?

Maybe...
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:43 am

YOKO KANNO!!!!!!!

(I like shouting the names of people who would never work with the Live Eva Movie ^^)

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:06 pm

Man don't get our hopes up! I would preafer a mostly classical soundtrack with LOTS of strings and woodwinds and as much brass as most classical peices have, also using a few Japanese instruments as well. But it must fit the scene though. Lots of quite stuff for the introspective and character moments, but lots of big crescendoing fast paced battle music for the fights (Now these will sound better with lots of brass)... either that or lean toward a more techo sounding soundtrack and tap Manhiem Steamroller to do that with lots of synth and a classical edge at times. If you have no Idea who this guy is go out and buy on of his Fresh Aire CD's.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Esion » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:52 pm

Kiel wrote:I'm glad that we're all in agreeance over the original
Eva music idea.

My dream opening of the movie would be to slowly zoom in on
Earth from space...

*Zoomige on Earth*

Narrator: (possibly the english VA for Misato)

In the year 2000, mankind seemed to be on the peak of its development...
...yadda yadda yadda...

*Big Badda Boom*

*shot of Earth with the Explosion from second impact*

Good idea up to there but I'd like to see a very quick shot of the scene where Adam is in his energy form. A very quick shot sort of like they did in the Ring over and over again.

Then cut to a radio announcer type of voice giving the standard UN explination of a meteor hiting Antarctica. This leads the viewer to wonder what exactly happened, something that nobody really knows other than Gendo and Seele.

Then cut to intro. Intro then leads to Shinji waiting for Misato to pick him up. On the bottom of the screen you see the current year to show the viewer that some time has passed.

The intro could show quick shots of massive tidle forces cover parts of the world and some nameless announcer type voice warning people to return to their homes assuring them that things will be ok. Then you'd have something similar to the intro to the show. If I directed the movie I'd want to bombard the viewers with a certain type of atmosphere right from the start to prepare them for the eventual end right when it's all begining.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:20 pm

I agree, but with no opening with Cruel Angels Thesis though. That might scare people not used to J-Pop and stuff. I just hope the soundtrack is not choked with rap and heavy metal and stuff.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Kiel » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:34 am

Alright...

maybe I've made a mistake many fans do when their prized shows/comics/books/etc get turned into movies...

...I've seen the eva movie from only a FAN's perspective, completely
forgetting other "normal" people might be watching...

As close as I'd like the movie to be to the original anime, I guess to appeal to a larger audience...

...comprimises must be made :cry:

I think I'll go listen to the Eva Gollum track again to rekindle my
original ideals

(sigh)
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Grip_Tight_Thin
Embryo

Postby Grip_Tight_Thin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:57 pm

Cruel Angel Thesis
Fly Me to the Moom
Pachabel's Cannon
Ode to Joy

Those four have to be in there as well as the original battle theme
...and now back to my coffin full of absinthe

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:34 pm

After a lot of thought over who should score, I have to go with what I once strongly opposed and say John Williams. At first, all I could recall were things like Star Wars, but then I got my hands on two scores I had completely forgotten about: Hook and Jurassic Park. To me, those blended together are the quintessential sound of a new Eva. JP is feral; Hook has one piece that is actually stunningly emotional, and I hadn't really noticed it before.

I also entertained the thought of fusing it with some more... modern elements, like Don Davis and Juno Reactor did for the Matrix films. (Or at least Reloaded. I don't know anything about the other two.) For a long time, I though Don Davis would have been good to score, but his stuff just isnt... Hook and Jurassic Park!

John Williams and Trent Reznor. John's beautiful. Trent's dark. John's haunting. Trent's... also quite haunting. And they can both be really loud. Pipe dream? Yes.

Since I don't know how just how much work it is to score, John might be too busy scoring the rest of the HP films. Suck ass that would.

Of course, if Sagisu would be interested in scoring, I ain't gonna complain one bit.

Oh and how's this? Take one "Cruel Angel's Thesis". Take one Carlos Santana. Say to the latter of the first, "It's yours," and see what happens.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Kiel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:48 pm

Harry Gregson Williams?

Not sure if that's his name, but he did the opening theme to Metal Gear Solid 2!

Hey! MGS2 theme might be good with eva, no?

arigato
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:52 pm

Harry Gregson Williams? Hmm...

He did Man on Fire? I don't even remember that having a score! All I remember are the numerous appearances of Nine Inch Nails.

He did Shrek, a film I've watched countless times. I can't think of that music fitting well unless it's a kids' movie. :shock: :cry:

In all of the rest of the stuff I've seen with him in it, he only did additional music, and his filmography seems to be chock-full of kids' movies and comedies (plus Phone Booth). I haven't played MGS2, but based on the impression I have of his work as it stands... I have to say no. Well, I don't have to, but... no. 8)

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

kosure
Adam

Postby kosure » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:47 pm

I wouldn't mind a classical theme. But one of my all time favorite things about the series, and EOE, was that when things were so horrible, or so messed up, thats when they threw in a happy go lucky, jumpity-wumpity song. How many times have you been on the edge of your seat watching an episode, and then then the screen goes black, and the Fly Me to the Moon kicks in. Its just so unnerving, and such a contrast that it makes you appreciate the gore, and mind-effing elements that much more.

It wouldn't be eva to me without it.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:30 pm

I think if they're going to do it right they should have soundtrack with both classical scores and rock pieces.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Cyanna
Embryo

Postby Cyanna » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:56 am

Cruel Angel's Thesis/Heavy Hand of Freedom/Good or Don't Be (they're all the same melody just in different styles) is something I would expect....and the battle music. I'm sure the other instrumental works may make it in somehow

I can do without Kom Susser Tod really because it's isolated in the movie rather then being continuous in the series. It doesn't scream "Eva" to me as much as the instrumental work does.

I would like to see "Fly Me To the Moon" as the ending credit song....who knows...maybe it'll be the Frank Sinatra version. XD

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Karma Burn » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:32 pm

BOHIEMIAN RHAPSODY IS A MUST!
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:01 pm

Karma Burn wrote:BOHIEMIAN RHAPSODY IS A MUST!

Sure thing!It's totally a must.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”