Updating timeline stuff

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Updating timeline stuff

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 am

Oi,

just a little question. I'd like to work on the timeline and stuff. I enjoy compiling picturs with keymoments and order them chronologically. So if you'd like to, I would do this with the whole series. Maybe with some kind of chapters. Would you be interested or would it be a waste of time?

Example:

2nd Impact
textblabla
textblabla

Yuis life, plan and fate
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla

Asukas life
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla
textblabla

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 am

I think it'd be a cool idea and helpful. Dunno if it would be best to fit/rearrange this into the Timeline article or make a new article, though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:40 am

Would be great to spiff up the Timeline article with images. The images won't, by themselves, align neatly next to each other like that so if you want to make 3 of them joined together, you'd need to upload them already joined together and maybe put them all into a category "Category:Images (Timeline)" or something.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am

Oki doki :)

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Important question: Is a width of 600pixels ok?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Honestly, I'd just use separate images and employ the montage box. This avoids redundancy, lets changes in the image lineup be made easily, and makes mistakes easy to fix (a lot of the examples you posted weren't actually in chronological order).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Updating timeline stuff

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Oi,

textblabla
textblabla

I must say, it's intriguing seeing Evangelion laid out chronologically.
Kind of puts it all into perspective.

Though, about the grave scene, don't forget that there's two of them.
Shinji and Gendo visit Yui's grave three years before Shinji becomes an Eva pilot, and once more after.

But, I don't know if the first grave scene with a three-years younger Shinji was ever drawn ... If not, then yeah, for Yui's storyline use the grave visit images from when Shinji's an Eva pilot, otherwise try to see if the earlier visit was ever shown drawn.

On the same note, the text-based timeline in the wiki makes note of their 2012 grave visit, but doesn't mention their second grave visit (after Shinji becomes an Eva pilot) which is odd.
In and of itself, self-evident.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:20 am

Evangelion Chronicle does something similar to this. Perhaps it will be of use.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:43 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:(a lot of the examples you posted weren't actually in chronological order).

which ones? :|

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:24 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:which ones? :|

http://i40.tinypic.com/2e35r0w.png (Adam's discovery should be first)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2wf4veq.png (Yui in pink should be first)
http://i42.tinypic.com/k9wapk.png (Yui has the clipboard held up to her face before she puts it down to greet Fuyutsuki)
http://i39.tinypic.com/oqdo53.png (Yui's letter is last)

With these ones, you're attempting to put images in sequence when it's not really possible (at least with all three):

http://i42.tinypic.com/9sz85y.png (no context for the first image; second image belongs to a scene where Gendo and Yui are talking -- how do you know which one happened first?)
http://i44.tinypic.com/245xcac.png (how do we know the shot of Yui occurs between the other two?)
http://i40.tinypic.com/9aabrq.png (how do we know Asuka's crying fit doesn't go in the middle?)

I don't even understand this one:

http://i44.tinypic.com/cu8ab.png
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Not trying to be disrespectful, but are you serious o_O

It's not supposed to be THAT chronological. What difference does it make whether Yui has the clipboard held up to her face or not? It's supposed to look good.

Or the picture with Adam. Of course they found him/her before, but really? The textblabla under the pictures is there for a reason. And it wouldnt look good, if theres 1 white picture and 2 black ones. Black - White - Black looks better. Contrast, you know? :/

Or Yuis "death". What difference does it make?! Just reading the question "how do we know the shot of Yui occurs between the other two?" is shocking...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 pm

qu4d wrote:I enjoy compiling picturs with keymoments and order[ing] them chronologically.

...you didn't say "in the order of what appeals to me [qu4d] cosmetically".

And you asked "which ones?", so I answered. You shouldn't have asked if you couldn't handle criticism.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:26 pm

What does this have to do with criticism?! That's pedantic² and I know what it means to be pedantic. You don't have to be offensive :|

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 pm

It's not pedantic at all. If you're illustrating a timeline, the illustrations should be in order as well. The examples in Evangelion Chronicle -- and just about every other illustrated timeline I think I've ever seen -- uses this principle to straightforward and fine effect.

In any event, I don't think "composite images" are necessary, as already mentioned. Any images not already in the database can be uploaded separately and put together via montage box.

(And lighten up, dude. You must have skin so thin you can breathe through it if my post was "offensive".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:57 am

Is this accurate at all in terms of the series? Asking because I honestly don't know. http://qmisato.tumblr.com/post/97427931769

Of course, on our own wiki we have a few dates narrowed down (assuming EoTV/EoE concurrency :wink: ), but I don't believe it's to the date as Shadowjack's timeline is. (Heard of the guy but never personally talked with him or anything.)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:39 am

I have no idea how he narrowed down all the dates in the show so precisely - the only one we know of in-series being Friday, September 11 (crazy coincidence, but it was six years before that day became infamous). Having significant events fall around characters' birthdays also seems more like a coincidence than something that was planned, especially since the characters share their birthdays with their VAs.

Kaworu meeting Shinji on Christmas Eve and dying on Christmas...yeah. No surprise.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm waiting to hear back, but...

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:According to a Japanese Twitter friend: In their respective episodes, Sachiel attacked June 22nd 2015 and Shammy attacked July 13th 2015.

Not sure if the source would be Chronicle or what, but I don't know what to believe anymore! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Edit: He apparently got it from the Japanese wikipedia page about the 2015 in fiction section. I dunno, lol.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Going by the EoTV telop, the two points of concurrency do make some sense. What did your Japanese Twitter friend say?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:00 am

He just mentioned that the date for Sachiel was found on Japanese wikipedia while Shammy's date was something he heard online at some point.

I'll ask about concurrency thoughts soon. ;)

aigarius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby aigarius » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Just got the following link and thought that the original Twitter source sounds close enough to the creators that it might be canon - http://www.kitakubu.co/2015/06/june-22-2015-the-events-of-evangelion-episode-1-take-place/

Also note that June 22 is basically Summer Solstice, so that would make sense in a mythological way too.
--
Aigarius

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”