Most Gruesome/Disturbing Death?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Most Gruesome/Disturbing Death?

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 am

Re-watching EoE got me thinking (for obvious reasons) about all the death scenes in Evangelion and the train of thought went to which character had the most gruesome death (either on or off screen). Morbid, I know, but the point I make is coming.

Now the obvious answer is Asuka, and she had (arguably) the most excruciating. An argument can be made for Misato as well (bodies ravaged by explosions are never pretty, and yes, I do believe it was the explosion that ultimately did her in). But my argument for this topic is Rei II.

Now to my point. When her entry plug is opened, it's fairly clear that she was charred. This got me to thinking of how this could have happened while inside an entry plug filled with liquid. There are two ways this could have happened and I will explain the most complex first. Both of these methods take clues from the series itself.

This first way takes three stages (of which Rei II was thankfully only conscious for part of the first most likely). The first stage is that the entry plug becomes superheated, causing the LCL to boil (which was seen to be able to occur during the battle with Ramiel). The reason why I say that Rei was only conscious partway through this is that we know that pressurizing the LCL will result in a loss of consciousness.

At this point, Rei II was most likely still alive (barely) but not awake. Now, due to a combination of pressure and heat, part of the entry plug gave way (as indicated by the "exploded" hole in the plug), causing a loss of pressure as boiling, superheated LCL suddenly turned to steam. Now is when Rei would have almost certainly have died, as the LCL in her respiratory system suddenly expanded, bursting her lungs or perhaps the loss of pressure sucked them out through her nose and mouth.

The final stage is simple; Rei's corpse is now directly exposed to the lingering heat of an N2 explosion. I'd kinda be scared if her body wasn't charred after that.

I make the assumption that the LCL was pressurized because of two reasons; one, the hole in the entry plug was blown outward. Granted it may have been the recovery team cutting into the plug, but why not use the hatch? Second, I know it is directly stated in the series that LCL can be vented in order to keep pressure equalized (I believe Ritsuko explains it to Shinji). However, keeping the plug sealed seems a reasonable precaution in an attempt to slow Rei's infection by the angel.

The other way she might have been turned into KFR is that it was a reaction to the link she had with the infected angel. That angel would have more or less had direct exposure to the N2 explosion and precedent was given that if the angel was hurt, so was Rei.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, more born out of a "how the hell did she char in fluid?" than any sort of morbitity.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:30 pm

That's a very disturbing thread.

I still, however, think Asuka steals the damn biscuit; getting your insides literally ripped out while being fully aware of it and already having an eye out of service, yeah not pretty.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:39 pm

It's even got these gross rape overtones. Yeah, Asuka by a mile. The Harpies licking the EVA just breaks me every time.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

BulletShoot
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BulletShoot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah no real way we're getting anything worse than Asuka, for this.
Enjoying a Toasty Cheese Sandwich is my middle name.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah i can't think of anything worse either, it's a close tie between Asuka in EoE and (after reading your posts, Tribblepoo) Rei, just... Wow, that is gruesome.

Except, maybe there is one i can think of: Kaworu, i can only imagine how it must feel to be crushed by a giant hand, your head blowing off and your ribs and other breaking and puncturing and slashing your muscles and insides while your organs turn into a viscous pulp :urk:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Asuka’s death takes the cake for me.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Xana
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Xana » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:15 am

Thankfully we never see the entirety of Rei's charred up corpse, now that would have been an awful and shocking sight (particularly to those with a strong emotional bond to the character). As awful as "Just rip out my eyeballs now man!, I can't stand to see her like this!".

Just try to visualize that....*shivers*

But still Asuka wins this one.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 am

Are there really even any other options for this question?

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Are there really even any other options for this question?

I have to ask the same. I think the default answer would be Asuka.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Don't get me wrong Rei II's and Kaworu's death were gruesome, just not disturbing. There's was like a flipping of a light switch, in other words fast.

Asuka's wasn't not only was her death gruesome, but disturbing because it wasn't a quick painless death, she suffered before those 9 lances ended her life.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 am

The dubious victory goes to Asuka, hands down.

However, on some dramatic level, Rei II's death has an certain unique shock impact to it. Maybe because (to me) it came so totally unexpectedly and the thing flies straight to your face and is followed by that eerie "silent" feeling, like, "...you've got to be kidding me? You just... killed Rei? Just like that?". Even though Toji was maimed, Kaji killed and Asuka (mind-)raped before the death of Rei II, it still felt to me like something profoundly changed when one of the three pilots was offed "Just like that".

And I was essentially spoilered about Asuka's death (and revival) in EoE. I really shouldn't have watched it tired before seeing the series. Like, really.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:06 am

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:That's a very disturbing thread.

I still, however, think Asuka steals the damn biscuit; getting your insides literally ripped out while being fully aware of it and already having an eye out of service, yeah not pretty.

Look closely at where the clone LoL hits, just above and below the two left eyes, not in them. Just because she had a small swab above her eye in one more final doesn't mean she lost the eye, more likely a point poking out from a hole much more gruesome.

Through her brain.

After reading this thread I think that Kaworu's death really does take the cake.

Crushed.
Leave Shinji alone

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Look closely at where the clone LoL hits, just above and below the two left eyes, not in them.

And where did I say that the lance pierced exactly her eye? I said it is it out of service.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am

Gendō's death.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 am

Asuka's death, definitely. Very cruel and explicit.

Along with Misato's death. That just happened in a very short of time... and was super-effective.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 am

Eva-02.

...Asuka wasn't gutted and eaten, now was she?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:58 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Eva-02.

Also Eva-03/Bardiel and Zeruel.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:02 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Also Eva-03/Bardiel and Zeruel.

If we're starting on Eva units, then my vote goes to Unit-03 as well. Unit-02 does get cut apart and disemboweled, but Unit-03 gets smashed and torn apart by Unit-01's bare hands. The dummy plug in Unit-01 had the clear objective to reach Unit-03's entry plug, but it sure as shit took the scenic route getting there.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 am

"Starting on" Eva units? I was merely giving credit where credit was due. :p

I fail to see how Eva-03's death is more gruesome or disturbing than Eva-02's. We don't have any emotional attachment to 03, and we're not made privy to Toji's experience inside. Her destruction is a spectacle -- and, compared to what's to come, not a very gory one. Lots of blood, yeah, but it's not like seeing someone's skin ripped off their bones, their intestines pulled out and chewed and snapped, their brains leaking out of their skull...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:35 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:"Starting on" Eva units? I was merely giving credit where credit was due. :p

I fail to see how Eva-03's death is more gruesome or disturbing than Eva-02's. We don't have any emotional attachment to 03, and we're not made privy to Toji's experience inside. Her destruction is a spectacle -- and, compared to what's to come, not a very gory one. Lots of blood, yeah, but it's not like seeing someone's skin ripped off their bones, their intestines pulled out and chewed and snapped, their brains leaking out of their skull...

My question is, when do we see any of that? We see the aftermath, yes, but not the act itself. We actually see Unit-03 getting ripped apart. With Unit-02, we just see the effects of what the harpies do, as gruesome as it is.

As for emotional connection, if you are talking about Evas, then there is an emotional connection to Unit-01, the killer of Unit-03. Seeing the Eva that has worked to save humanity usurped and turned on an ally is pretty wrenching.

I also want to add that Unit-03's death is the first time we see the destruction of an Eva unit on screen and it happened in a spectacular, gruesome manner. That actually lessens the impact of Unit-02's destruction in EoE.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”