Asuka as the main star

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Radical Lanzar
Lilith

Asuka as the main star

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 am

Just read about this while on Wikipedia. Asuka was meant to be the main star, but was deemed by the creators a fallacy of mediocre anime - so she was turned into an idol/diva and Shinji was created as the story's lead instead.

I'm just thinking Asuka as the main star, and Shinji as Rei's replacement.

Why didn't they do this?
If I ever come up with something useful for my signature... and I kind of got lost.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:39 am

Same reason they got rid of her freckles from the concept art: would have been too awesome.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Factor it out. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:44 am

A strong, confident female protagonist had been done before, Hayao Miyazaki is sort of famous for it.

The show was meant to be in part a deconstruction of Mecha tropes. Having a male still center, and portraying them as a coward does so more subtly and more meaningfully than just swapping the hot-blooded guy with a hot-blooded girl.

Further, it was Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's idea that this lead girl have an attitude. My impression is that Hideaki Anno at first wanted a girl lead, but regardless wanted the lead to have a personality like Shinji's in order better reflect the point he was going to make.

A faint hearted girl in a mecha series? They're not typically the protagonist, but they're also not new. Ultimately, Mr. Anno must of seen having the protagonist be male better served his purposes.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:02 am

Alaska Slim nailed it there. Also, having a rather faint hearted boy in the series as a main character would cause more drama (hurts me to say) because he's a boy. If you haven't noticed, the more drama, the better (in Anno's eyes).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 am

Indeed, there's a lot of gender politics going on. The Asuka/Yui show that was proposed would have probably been just disposable nonsense.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Because Asuka is BORING as a protagonist. Most of her character drama comes from Shinji one-upping her and wrecking her world-view.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Factor it out. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 pm

This has been discussed somewhere on the forums before; with the essential point being that Anno was argued out of going with another female lead after having immediately previously done so with Nadia.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:The show was meant to be in part a deconstruction of Mecha tropes. Having a male still center, and portraying them as a coward, does so more subtly and more meaningfully than just swapping the hot-blooded guy with a hot-blooded girl.

Also
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/183486/Random-Hypothetical-Gender-Bender/#183486
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:40 pm

I never heard that it was supposed to be Asuka specifically, just "it was going to be a female protagonist, but then... Shinji".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:23 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Because Asuka is BORING as a protagonist. Most of her character drama comes from Shinji one-upping her and wrecking her world-view.

Yeah, this. Asuka-as-Shinji would be boring, and Asuka in Shinji's role just wouldn't work (since she'd be succeeding at every turn, which is exactly what she wants). There's no way to do it without radically changing her character, at which point she's no longer Asuka.

It might work okay with a different female protagonist, but good luck finding one who fills the role as well as Shinji does. I'm not sure what you'd do for foils in that case, though; Asuka and Shinji play off of one another very well, and it's hard to see how that dynamic would work with a female lead in Shinji's role.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 pm

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:50 pm

"You see, the Evangelions are actually...your fathers."

"...That...doesn't seem very symboli-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET IN THE EVA."
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:"You see, the Evangelions are actually...your fathers."

"...That...doesn't seem very symboli-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET IN THE EVA."

Gendou: You see, there's a problem. I'm not actually your father.

[Shinji wakes up from his dream]

Everyone: Congratulations Shinji!

[Shinji's bedroom ceiling is lifted off and Eva Unit 01 stands down at him]

Eva Unit 01: No Shinji, I'M your father.

Shinji: NOOOOOOOOOO!

[Edit] Shinji goes berserker ftw.
If I ever come up with something useful for my signature... and I kind of got lost.

BulletShoot
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BulletShoot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 pm

If Asuka had been the main character, it's seems like it would either have become Nadia or it would have become Gunbuster, and while both of those are fine series, I believe the series is better off the way it turned out (at least in that regard).
Enjoying a Toasty Cheese Sandwich is my middle name.

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 am

I'd really like a complete sex swap in Evangelion.

This link... it made my day. I had a few laughs through the video, but when it got to the committee scene, I think I died laughing. Thanks for sharing, Allemann.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:00 pm

The real problem is, to make Asuka the main character, you'd have to do more than have the events we saw in the series from a different viewpoint -- we lose both the start of the Angel invasion and its culmination; and while flashbacks could handle some of that, the "what this story is about" isn't set up for her.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The real problem is, to make Asuka the main character, you'd have to do more than have the events we saw in the series from a different viewpoint -- we lose both the start of the Angel invasion and its culmination; and while flashbacks could handle some of that, the "what this story is about" isn't set up for her.

Well, not quite. There's a lot going on around the world that isn't covered - events at Nerv HQ 2 are shown - at least the aftermath. It wouldn't be much different covering plotlines from Germany and having NERV mid battle.

But then again, the entire plot would most likely be rewritten to take place in Germany.

An unsure cadet from Japan is sent to help Asuka out and she can't figure out why this 'jap' is helping the mighty company of Germany. Yeah, it would probably follow Germany's WWII history or something.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:54 pm

By "what the story is about", I meant this

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:By "what the story is about", I meant this

Oh, the young boy slaying dragons bit?

Hmm! I wonder how it would be rewritten in Aska's mind?

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Sex change would be totally boring. Make the feminine character female and the masculine character male? Instantly transform hot yuri bathouse scene into uncomfortable yaoi scene? Somehow convey Asuka bending over in a bikini top with the use of a speedo?

Hmm. If you wanted to keep things from being completely ridiculous, you'd probably want to just flip the roles of Misato and Kaji, rather than genderswap then. Then Oscar can awkwardly come on to Misato on the Over the Rainbow. Yay.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Instantly transform hot yuri bathouse scene into uncomfortable yaoi scene?
Don't you mean the other way around?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”