Which evangelion scene scarred you the most?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sahara
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sahara » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 am

View Original Postkatiethingy wrote:Basically a good chunk of EoE. The whole dummy plug system too.

This. The fact that the dummy plug is pretty much a mindless killing machine really got to me. Especially when I saw it rip Unit-03 to shreds while Shinji is screaming hysterically for the carnage to stop.

When I first saw EoE as a younger teen, the assassination of the NERV members and Asuka's death frightened me a lot...but in a kind of exhilarating way... :uhh: if that makes any sense. I was changed by that movie....

BDSMftw
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BDSMftw » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 pm

When the
SPOILER: Show
NP Evas start eating Asuka´s unit
that scarred me pretty bad...not real scared, though. Just....very disturbed and generally "AAAGGGHHHH!!!"
THinGs WIll aLwAyS wOrK OUt SoMeHOw::RELAX::most important thing is to have a heart

ianfreddie07
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ianfreddie07 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Nothing really scarred/scared me in Eva, but the saddest scenes were:

> Rei II sacrificing Unit 00 and herself in the Armisael fight.
> The "mind rape" scene.
> Asuka vs MP Evas. I still try to imagine what happened to Asuka inside while the harpies were munching down on Unit 02, and also what happened to Asuka when Unit 02 got speared after her arm was split.
Crispy bacon.

"But you didn't have to cut me off!" - Tree

The Gray Fox
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Gray Fox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:22 am

I would have to agree with the majority of the members here. Nothing in Evangelion I would consider "scary," being a two-dimensional fiction. But I do think the show as a whole is a strong catalyst for meditation and very thought provoking, due to the depths of character displayed throughout.

I can recall many relate-able scenes, but the scene that I will never forget is the very end of End of Evangelion, and the infamous Shinji-choking-Asuka scene. The scene itself portrayed so many emotions and thoughts, and the only words uttered in the entire scene were "How disgusting..."

I may be the only person in the world who found this scene tear-jerking, but I have never experienced such a simultaneous reflection of feelings, negative and positive, painted so beautifully through animation and dialogue. I find it as a very strong reminder of the complexity, frailty and strength of the human mind, and that we should never forget affection and love, even in loneliness and sorrow.
Absolutely Nothing.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Nothing "scared" or "scarred" me, but the whole affair with Arael was pretty goddamn awful and most of EoE left me with anything but happy feelings.

Tiktok of Oz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tiktok of Oz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:01 pm

In chronological order:

--Eva-01 staring down Shinji at the end of episode 2.
--The disturbingly often occurrence of naked fourteen-year-olds.
--Shinji screaming at the sight of Toji's injured body in episode 18.
--Arael's defilement of Asuka's mind is definitely at the top. That was haunting.
--Armisael attacking Eva-00 and Rei.
--Everything about Asuka's demise.
--Shortly after that, Instrumentality and Third Impact in general. Holy shit.
Love, gimme love, gimme love, I don't need it
But I'll take what I want from your heart and I'll keep it

tabura
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tabura » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 am

The doll people in Shiniji's head. Also, shogoki's eye in episode 2.
Hamlet on Instrumentality:qvloe52h

"O, that this too too-solid flesh would melt
Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew"

[Act I, Scene I, 129-130]

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Every time Shinji reminded me of myself...wich were normaly the best scenes in Evengelion.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:40 pm

I've posted in a thread like this once before, but I can't really remember what I said.

Anyway, none of Eva really scarred me. That implies that it did permanent damage that still haunts me to this day. However, the MP Evas definitely disturbed me the first time I saw them. As well as Giant Naked Rei's bloody decomposition before falling to Earth while Heisoku no Kakudai plays in the background (an absolutely divine composition by the way) had a big effect on me. Possibly because it was beautiful and repulsing at the same time.

Since we're at it, Episode 22 was somewhat disturbing as well. BUT I think I remain unscarred by the anime.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:42 pm

None, actually. The violence is brutal but I watched Eva after watching a bunch of other, more psychologically disturbing anime first, so stuff like Asuka's mindrape scene didn't have quite the same impact. I guess Asuka's arm getting sliced in half as she reaches for the sun in EoE is the scene that had the most negative emotional impact on me.
It's the only NEET thing to do.

xuefranklin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xuefranklin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:18 am

That scene in the second episode when Shinji sees the eyeball sprout from Unit 01's head, and Unit 01 in bandages during episode 20. I was a kid back then and couldn't handle the concept that the thing under all that armor was actually an artificial being instead of just a robot.

TheSophist
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheSophist » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:47 pm

From the original series; the scene where ritsuko's mother strangles Rei and then commits suicide. Just shows how dark this anime was

Perhaps seeing Asuka in the dirty bathtub in a run down house. It just showed how everything was collapsing and degenerating.

It was a deep contrast of how she was before; a self defense mechanism of being the best. Connected with self esteem, it also explains why she was so aggressive with Shinji, when her high esteem of herself was being put into doubt (usually from what shiji was doing) she would take her frustration out on him.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Oh jeez, if the implication of Asuka trying to off herself wasnt bad enough on its own, I just noticed her clothed neatly folded next to her and shes taken her A10s off

Cross of Iron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cross of Iron » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 pm

The bathtub scene. It took me forever to realize those were streaks of blood in the tub.

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 pm

View Original PostCross of Iron wrote:The bathtub scene. It took me forever to realize those were streaks of blood in the tub.

Add that to my list o.o thanks for pointing it out I think XD

Would definitely have to say the most disturbing and scarring scene for me was in EoE when Rei/Lilith reaches out to Shinji, followed by her eyes changing and Shinji screaming. Being 8 at the time, I couldn't get over it then and still can't o.o

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Plenty of folks still think it's just rust.

Not that laying down in a bathtub waiting to starve to death, naked, in an abandoned building is much better.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:25 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:Plenty of folks still think it's just rust.

Not that laying down in a bathtub waiting to starve to death, naked, in an abandoned building is much better.

Though that doesn't make much sense. If you're gonna go to all that trouble you might as well slit your wrists and be done with it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:31 pm

There are so many damn variables in that it could be blood or rust, or both. Dependent on materials used in the bath construction mainly, time spent in said bath etc, if she actually did cut herself etc.

PROBABLY BOTH.

None of this matters, I would relish smashing that bath with a sledgehammer.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Actually it just looks like QUALITY shit in the On Air version:
SPOILER: Show

but it does make sense that she could have just evacuated in the bathtub, the Video version looks like piss and blood mixed together to me.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm

every scene with pen-pen is the scariest!!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”